No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing scenes, [MENTION=3687]Golgo[/MENTION].
    I do like a bit of Opeth, but they're so eclectic, it's tough to just stick one album on to enjoy.

Saw Last Hounds play yesterday.
    They're a Hardcore Punk band, which isn't always my bag. I used to work with the guitarist, and was mainly there to catch up and show some support, but flip me, it was brilliant!

Lead singer was like a coiled spring, jumping off the drums and the bar and prowling around the crowd. They had the riffs and choruses to back him up too.

Deffo a band best experienced live and will absolutely see them again.

Comment

Dunno if comedy gigs count but me and my son went to see Garth Marenghi last night. First half was funny enough with readings from his new book Terrortome ... but it was the second half that had the biggest laughs with an audience Q&A There was a book signing after too

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
        Dunno if comedy gigs count but me and my son went to see Garth Marenghi last night. First half was funny enough with readings from his new book Terrortome ... but it was the second half that had the biggest laughs with an audience Q&A There was a book signing after too
        Totally missed the tickets for the recent tour as they evaporated for the smaller local arts place.
        Mate asked if I wanted to go, is it a night worth going to, then?

Comment

Right, so earlier in the year I realised I've never seen Shed 7 play live, so I looked at their tour and saw they were playing Camp Bestival, which looked amazing.

I never saw Shed 7, but we thought it'd be a great first festival experience for the kids, so we've bankrupted ourselves getting tickets and a decent pre-pitched tent.

However, check out this line-up. There are some gems in there, but holy smokes, have you ever seen a more eclectic line-up?!

2023 SHROPSHIRE LINE-UP

Primal Scream
          Rudimental
          The Human League
          Groove Armada DJ Set
          Sophie Ellis-Bextor
          Confidence Man
          Sam Ryder
          Melanie C
          Sara Cox presents Just Can't Get Enough 80s
          Ella Henderson
          Caity Baser
          Pop Will Eat Itself
          Bez and Rowetta
          Badly Drawn Boy
          Napalm Death
          East 17 Christmas Special
          Elvana: Elvis Fronted Nirvana
          Hot Dub Time Machine
          Dick and Dom
          The Bootleg Beatles
          T'Pau
          Fearne Cotton
          The Dolly Show
          Red Devils Parachute Display
          Utah Saints
          Horrible Histories: Barmy Britain
          Sam Redmore & The Tropical Soundclash Allstars
          Mr Tumble
          Mr Motivator
          Fake Bush
          Chris Hawkins (BBC Radio 6 Music)
          The Beat
          Koo Koo Kanga Roo
          Old Time Sailors Club
          Hip Hop Karaoke
          Rhythm of the 90s
          Goldie Lookin Chain (Legends Set)
          Beatles Dub Club
          Mr Wilson's Second Liners
          The Longest Johns
          The Smyths
          Mister Maker
          Altern-8
          Khana Wala Bazaar
          The Cuban Brothers

I can't quite comprehend at the same festival I'll see

Mister Tumble AND Napalm Death!

Comment

Did they draw names out of hat for that?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              is it a night worth going to, then?
              I suppose it depends on how big a fan you are but £20 a ticket for a 2-hour show plus book signing ... I'd say it's well worth it.

Comment

Took the missus to see her fave band, Scouting For Girls again.
                I really don't mind as they're great live and it puts her in a great mood!

I was wearing my Christmas Iron Maiden shirt and Neon light up glasses.
                I always get positive comments and ask where the glasses are from (Amazon), including this gig.

Got to the end of the gig and thought another guy was going to ask where my glasses are from but he said "I have to say you have the best shirt here! I'm a friend of Iron Maiden!"

I took this with a pinch of salt, but he started flicking though his phone and show me a pic of him infront of Ed Force 1.

Then him with Slash.

Then his two guitars from Angus Young.

Then him at his wedding with his best man, Rick Astley.

So yeah, he was the real deal.

He helped "discover" Scouting For Girls amongst many other as an A&R man.
                He's godfather to the singer's kids!

We really should have asked to go backstage, but I'm hoping I'll meet him again as he's got looooads of stories to tell!

Comment

We're all the way back on page 4! Bloody hell.

Newish additions to plans for 2023 include Napalm Death (Escuela Grind support!) and Sevdaliza in March, Wormrot in April, then Otoboke Beaver and Turnstile in May. Today I just got presale tickets for Field Day in August too - lots of artists I don't really know, but Aphex Twin and Fever Ray would've justified it on their own. Sweet.

Supposedly Puscifer are playing in June too which I'm keen for, and also considering another small London festival - Portals - on the basis of a few acts I like.

Comment

Obviously, I'll be seeing Napalm Death alongside Mr. Tumble at Camp Bestival this year.
                    I'd love to hear ND cover Justin Fletcher's "Something Special" theme and Justin cover ND's "The Wolf I Feed".

Got Download lined up, but I have a wedding on the Saturday, so can only see one of the two Metallica shows, sadly.
                    Just waiting for day ticket announcements.

On that note, I'm seeing Stewart Lee on Friday and a Metallica tribute on Saturday.
                    The tribute band I first saw at WV1 Fest, the the brilliant tribute festival.

They've just announced their line-up and it's less my tastes, but some new ones I think will be good (RATM, AC/DC, Blink 182). I'm deffo going though!

Comment

Aren’t Ghost maybe a little to current to have a tribute band already?

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely comprised of former members of the main band

Comment

Ha! Probably is.

Comment

Stewart Lee was really good on Friday.
                            I haven't seen him live before, so it was really interesting to see how his stuff works and I was laughing throughout.
                            He crafts an onstage persona that hates everything, including the audience, but he let the mask slip a bit and it was lovely to see!

Notallica were great fun on Saturday.
                            That's not their name, but it should be. It's "Metal Militia".
                            They're not trying to look just like the band, although they have the same gear.

It was a really eclectic mix of a crowd so a good atmosphere, although towards the end, some shirtless oafs wanted to shove everyone around and not everyone wanted to do that. :/

I filmed a bit of them playing and the venue asked if they could use it and said they'd try and sort some free tickets. Fancy seeing The Killers tribute.

On the subject of tributes, there's a Muse tribute playing Friday that I'm probably going to see, for considerably less than the real deal on their current stadium tour.

The Darkness are playing tomorrow in Brum and it's about £40.
                            I'd love to go, but that's a good chunk of change and the parking is about another tenner.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 30-01-2023, 15:21. Reason: added vid

Comment

Saw a MUSE tribute band on Friday called BeMUSEd and they were really good!
                              Not as polished as the Metallica tribute, but interacted with the crowd better.

Great hearing a real mix of old and new stuff from "Showbiz" on the first album to "Will of the People" on the latest and loads of big hitters in between.
                              They played some of my faves like Hyper Music, Stockholm Syndrome, Plug In Baby and, of course, Knights of Cydonia.
                              A tenner in and it was a great night.
                              Made me look at tickets for the real deal in Milton Keynes - £99 was the cheapest standing ticket, holleeee smokes!

Comment

Holy Sheet! That's the best Download lineup for years. So looking forward to it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X