No announcement yet.

Gig Going Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got home from seeing Triptides at MOTH Club in Hackney, East London. Penultimate date of the European Tour for their recently released Starlight LP.

Enjoyable California-style psychedelic prog rock, though it was a bit disappointing that they didn't play any of their older stuff.

Comment

Pretty sweet set from Metallica ; must admit it I also think it's weird there was no mosh. Reminds me when I was a wee young man I got invited last minute to see Living Color ; I was at uni and working part time in a law firm at the time so was suited and booted ; the mosh pit soon took care of my shirt and tie I was sensible enough to leave my jacket in the office so they were the only casualties ; I feel sorry for the peeps who may or may not have been on the wrong end of my brogues surfing the pit

Comment

The line-up wasn't amazing yesterday (today would have been more up my street) but Metallica were class and my son especially had a great time up the front with his mates.

Comment

I've been buzzing from Metallica and Download from Thursday.
          Wish I could have gone for more days, but there's always next year.
          Would have nice to have met [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] too!
          It's not just about the bands at Download but at least one must-see really helps.

Here's the 'tallica setlist from Saturday:

Whiplash (Tour Debut)
          For Whom the Bell Tolls
          Ride the Lightning
          Until It Sleeps
          72 Seasons
          If Darkness Had a Son
          Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
          You Must Burn!
          The Call of Ktulu
          The Unforgiven
          Wherever I May Roam
          Moth Into Flame
          Battery
          Whiskey in the Jar ([traditional] cover)
          One
          Enter Sandman

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Would have nice to have met @Atticus too!
            It's not just about the bands at Download but at least one must-see really helps.
            Likewise it would have been great to say hi You're right, it's not all about thew bands, but one belter can just make it great. Driving my son to school this morning blasting Metallica ... we're still buzzing on it too! I think both set-list looks pretty great.

Comment

Ha! I've listened to the live set from when they played Birmingham (they sold the "bootleg" the next day) and the Kerrang! cover disc with a load of bands covering the Black Album!

Look forward to hearing [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION]'s thoughts about this year - were there too many people?
              Felt like they'd upped capacity and sold all the tickets, but it was still the same size as last year.
              I really liked the additional barriers for the front section - I had to queue to get in, but once in, there was a finite number of people.
              There were pits and moshing when we saw the Thursday Metallica set.
              Every time a pit opened up, I just strolled through to get closer to the front.
              The guys from that Metallica tribute I saw recently had tickets to the Snake Pit - so jealous! :O

I really liked the little line-up museum from the last 20 years.
              I worked out I've probably only missed about 4 years, which is good going.
              I even went that first year when it had Zwan and Audioslave playing.

It's a bit depressing that even though 100,000 people turned up the festival, rock and metal remain notably absent from the airwaves.
              Nothing on FM and Digital has barely anything either. Planet Rock?
              I saw the BBC were there. Hopefully they or Sky Arts have some coverage again.

(That's a lot of black t-shirts! Ha!)

Comment

Great to meet QC at Download this year. I think the festival site has reached and maybe slightly exceeded its capacity. Although the extra stalls and tweaked layout seemed to create more bottlenecks as you traversed the arena than the number of punters.
                The new screens at the main stage were a welcome addition and the campsite had more facilities this year too.
                I didn’t see as many bands as I’d hoped to though the heat floored me on Saturday so all I saw that day was Clutch. Who were great naturally.
                I saw The Bronx, Halestorm, Puscifer, Perturbator and Metallica on Thursday. Friday brought Pendulum,Empire State Bastard and Carpenter Brut. As for Sunday I saw The Hu, Green Lung, Bad Religion and Ghost.
                Ghost and Clutch were my highlights both knocking out banger after banger. Green Lung ruled the tent. ESB were crazy heavy and Mr Lombardo delivered a drumming master class. Best performance I’ve seen from Bad Religion in years too. Sound was rotten during Carpenter Brut’s set but the crowd went bananas for Turbo Killer and Maniac. The Hu handled their step up to the main stage well and likely made a pile of new fans too.
                Last edited by CMcK; 15-06-2023, 07:52.

Comment

There he is!

Great summary, [MENTION=8265]CMcK[/MENTION]!

I really wanted to see Carpenter Brut as they're amazing live. I drove to Manchester from Birmingham to see them once.
                  Their "LIVE" album is brilliant and captures that mesh of synths and live guitar/drums.

I like Ghost when I catch a tune on shuffle or the radio, so I'm going to check out their tribute this weekend.

Green Lung are touring and I think they're my bag, but aren't they on the doom end of the Stoner spectrum, rather than the faster metal end?

Again, lovely to meet you and apologies that the time pressure to get down the front for Metallica meant I couldn't stay long.

Comment

Would have nice to have met @Atticus too!

Here's the 'tallica setlist from Saturday:

Whiplash (Tour Debut)
                    For Whom the Bell Tolls
                    Ride the Lightning
                    Until It Sleeps
                    72 Seasons
                    If Darkness Had a Son
                    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
                    You Must Burn!
                    The Call of Ktulu
                    The Unforgiven
                    Wherever I May Roam
                    Moth Into Flame
                    Battery
                    Whiskey in the Jar ([traditional] cover)
                    One
                    Enter Sandman
                    oooh another sweet set! Some serious old skool classics there

Comment

Green Lung are touring and I think they're my bag, but aren't they on the doom end of the Stoner spectrum, rather than the faster metal end?

Again, lovely to meet you and apologies that the time pressure to get down the front for Metallica meant I couldn't stay long.
                      Green Lung are a modern Black Sabbath. Well worth checking out. I’ve seen them three times already and have tickets for their upcoming gig in Glasgow. Their new album isn’t far off by the sounds of it.

Comment

Saw Nation of Language at KOKO in Camden last night.

Excellent early 1980s minimalist new wave-style electronic synth-pop (like if Depeche Mode or OMD were American hipsters). Saw them at Electric Brixton late last year and it was more of the same.

Comment

We failed to get tix for Queens of the Stoneage (at our local venue) today My wife told me they were selling straight after on the venue's fb page

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            Green Lung are a modern Black Sabbath. Well worth checking out. I’ve seen them three times already and have tickets for their upcoming gig in Glasgow. Their new album isn’t far off by the sounds of it.
                            Listened to these guys whilst cooking last night.
                            Funnily enough, one track was a Sabbath cover!

Yeah, definitely like them, though. Some great solos.

Got that tribute festival again this weekend.
                            I totally get it's a Marmite thing, but at £11 a day, it's the only way I can afford to see these bands' music!

Comment

Good stuff team, glad to see so many of you making it out to things! Last thing I made it to was Portals festival, specifically Mono followed by Jambinai to close it all out. Both were excellent.

Health being what it is has meant skipping a few more though, sadly. I'd really like to catch Spectral Wound this coming Monday but I'm also aware that's possibly not the best idea in conjunction with this heatwave we're currently having too.

This morning we did score tickets for PJ Harvey in September, though. I'm pretty stoked about this - have been wanting to see her for decades and finally have the chance.

Comment

Listened to these guys whilst cooking last night.
                                Funnily enough, one track was a Sabbath cover!

Yeah, definitely like them, though. Some great solos.

Got that tribute festival again this weekend.
                                I totally get it's a Marmite thing, but at £11 a day, it's the only way I can afford to see these bands' music!

The text in the blue area at the bottom threw me off for a moment. Only Adults, then lists a price for kids . It wasn't until a second glance did I realise it meant Only 11 quid for adults and 3 quid for kids, lol. Badly designed poster that.

Comment

Working...
                                X