X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It begins! http://www.superherohype.com/news/su...ws.php?id=9337

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
      As a follow up to the Donner films I really like Returns but I can see why it isn't so keenly liked by many. With the new films on the way it's unfortunate that they'll likely take it into a boringly 'darker' direction that ditches the theme etc.

I was generally quite disappointed that the Hulk 2 seems to have been dropped because of the Avengers film too. I'm not really expecting much from that film when it arrives, it seems to be the kind of project that the core fans and studio wants more than general audiences do. I'm expecting reviews which just largely say 'too many characters and not enough Iron Man!'
      Eh?

Have you actualy read The Ultimate Avengers? if done right it would pretty much make for one of the greatest films ever, its a great story with some epic action sequences that would actualy work on film.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
        I'm particularly looking forward to Batman & Superman vs Legends of the Guardian: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D! I hear Ron Perlman is playing lead the lead owl.

Comment

If Hulk/Banner end up the main adversary for The first avengers movie like in the first Ultimates I'll be happy. It means we'll actually get some proper hulk screen time plus hulk smashing. Can you imagine ironman, cap, thor and possibly a giant Ant man trying to take the hulk on at once?

I think mostly people are looking forward to a potential Hulk v Thor moment but Im not too fussed about that.

Only problem is Nortons Hulk was nothing like the Ultimate version who is like an over powered green mad behemoth who will potentially even eat you if you pi$$ him off enough!

Comment

This discussion is flowing!

-Ultimate Avengers
            Nope not read it, but I'm familiar with it. The problem isn't so much the source material, it's the nature of the films themselves. Marvel has made it clear that they see the Avengers film as a launch pad for many of the second and third tier characters that haven't had a film yet and the addition of a 2nd or 3rd baddy in a solo hero film is often enough to ruin the film. If you have 1-2 baddies and 5+ hero's with a 2hr run time there's only so much you can do (especially in the first film). You're just not going to get an amazing Avengers film, you're just going to get at best an Xmen film in new dressings. Typically a sequel would be an improvement but many of the cast are going to start being up for contract renewals by then which means the cost of making the film goes up hugely which means too many compromising. It's the reality of movie making that's going to bring the Avengers film/s down.

-Hulk
            From the gossip it sounds like Hulk is at least a secondary baddy in it and Norton seems to be increasingly resisting returning to the character so it might pay off in this regard for the Avenger film as it's likely going to result in another reboot for the character which more fits the needs of the 'universe'

-Batman vs Superman
            I remember when the comics came out and bar the most ardant Batman fan, everyone I know laughed when we found out the conclusion. They're 2 series that just should never ever meet and it's like the writer knew it was a stupid idea and for the sake of dodging the obvious outcome came up with an awful loophole that Superman would never fall for bar a lapse in intelligence. Pray a film never happens

Comment

dunno about the hulk being a bad guy as such as it was done in the ultimate avengers movie cartoon

Comment

Originally posted by Wil View Post
                I'm particularly looking forward to Batman & Superman vs Legends of the Guardian: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D! I hear Ron Perlman is playing lead the lead owl.
                When I read that, I thought you were being funny - what a ridiculous name for a comic book/film!

Then I checked the link

Comment

This discussion is flowing!

-Ultimate Avengers
                  Nope not read it, but I'm familiar with it. The problem isn't so much the source material, it's the nature of the films themselves. Marvel has made it clear that they see the Avengers film as a launch pad for many of the second and third tier characters that haven't had a film yet and the addition of a 2nd or 3rd baddy in a solo hero film is often enough to ruin the film. If you have 1-2 baddies and 5+ hero's with a 2hr run time there's only so much you can do (especially in the first film). You're just not going to get an amazing Avengers film, you're just going to get at best an Xmen film in new dressings. Typically a sequel would be an improvement but many of the cast are going to start being up for contract renewals by then which means the cost of making the film goes up hugely which means too many compromising. It's the reality of movie making that's going to bring the Avengers film/s down.
                  But see, The Avengers is not like X-men, it has none of the same themes or characters, they are two very different things. I'm not sure what you are on about really. You seem to be basing your idea that it wont be that good on nothing really, you just seem to have told yourself it wont be that good without having any clue about it.

Like I said, you really need to read it, the pacing, twist filled story, somewhat gritty and realistic charcterisation, everything is perfect for a great movie. And they dont have an excuse for not doing it right, They have the technology and the money to do it, its not like there is anything in the comic that they couldnt do on film. So I dont see why It wouldnt be great if done the same as in the comic. They have said they can see the potential of other movies coming off of it but they have also said they want to have an Avengers series too. The thing about these things is the potential is limitless and the only problem right now would probabaly be actualy finding the time to make every film they would like too.

As for Hulk, yes hes a bad guy in it of sorts and it works really well.
                  Last edited by rmoxon; 29-04-2010, 11:39.

Comment

The best example I can think of regarding the reality of an Avengers film is Metal Gear Solid. In my head and whilst I'm playing the game an MGS film seems like it would be the best thing ever. The action, the story etc but I know that it'd likely be rubbish. It's less a reflection of the original material and more a lack of faith in the filmmakers based on the evidence.

Comment

The best example I can think of regarding the reality of an Avengers film is Metal Gear Solid. In my head and whilst I'm playing the game an MGS film seems like it would be the best thing ever. The action, the story etc but I know that it'd likely be rubbish. It's less a reflection of the original material and more a lack of faith in the filmmakers based on the evidence.
                      Im not sure why youwould compare an adaptation of a comic (which is a storytelling medium) to the adaptation of a video game (which isnt a storytelling medium really when all is said and done). But even if you did, I would think a film of Metal Ger Solid could actualy work better than the games in telling a decent story, They would only have 2 hours so you wouldnt get all the endless convoluted dialogue sequences that are in the games.. well i would hope not anyway.

None of the Metal Gear games are actualy paced like films though, and half of their charm actualy comes from all the quirky type gameplay elements that the makers throw into the Mix. They arent even really segmented into acts as such (and a film needs 3 acts) so they would need a big overhaul to work as a good screenplay. My point with the Avengers was that its pretty much good to go as a film and if it stayed true to the comic then it would probabaly take some kind of Epic failing to mess it up.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 29-04-2010, 23:33.

Comment

-Ultimate Avengers, I bloody hope not Ultimate's was the worst run marvel has produced in 49 years.

And I also forgot about daredevil in my top 5!

Comment

Youre crazy... its one of the best comics I have ever read.. well the first two volumes were anyway, once Millar left it went down hill.

Comment

Agreed, Ultimate Avengers vol 1 and 2 gave the old characters amuch needed shot in the arm. Its updated them to the 21st century and made them more relavent for todays generation.

I think we need a dedicated Avengers thread tbh, this is not really about the Hulk movie anymore is it?

Comment

I started reading in the late 80's and for me Millar was the worst thing to happen to Marvel

Comment

Working...
                              X