How good was Starfleet??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now i know what you mean nige!!
    I must say whilst having a wee look online at some of the GROOVY characters, I saw someone who the missus knows who looks EXACTLY like one of the puppets, its mad!

Everytime i see it i piss myself laughing, it's uncanny.

Comment

Starfleet is amazing! A few years ago, I remembered a show about this big X-Wing ship and a big combining red robot, and remembered it was a puppet-type show, but had forgotten the details of it. Until one day I wondered into a 2nd hand record shop, and saw the Brian May vinyl LP with the Dai-X on the cover. I saw the name "Starfleet Project" and it immediately brought it all back! Then a few years later I discovered www.sfxb.co.uk, and I've been waiting for a DVD release ever since!

Comment

Christ, it does look a bit gyppo now. roffle.

Still really cool though, the camera work in the space battles is utterly Battlestar Galactica (the new one). Shanky-hand cam, crazy zooms and pans... good stuff.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone has this on DVD/VCD do they? I've been after it for ages, I thought about getting the Japanese DVD release at one point but it now sells for ?80 second hand. I've had my eye on some DVD-rips of the original TV broadcast on ebay, but they keep getting removed.

It's funny - you can sell pirate GBA games on ebay but the moment you try and sell a low-quality DVD copy of a TV show you taped over a decade ago and isn't officially available on DVD yet, it gets taken down faster than Jordan's undies.

Comment

Anyone else pick this up last week off HMV online? It was down to £9.99 so I got my order in sharpish!

It arrived yesterday and much to my girlfriends dismay, we watched the first 6 episodes. Pure quality and I'd forgotten how much I loved this. I even have the intro as my ring tone!!!

PS Damo, I'd have done you copies but the discs are about 6.8GB each and I can only do the standard 4.7GB.

Comment

I remember seeing this boxset advertised in the Cities Of Gold boxset I think, would love to hear the theme tune after what feels like decades, then again it probably has been decades...

Comment

This was one of my favourite T.V. programmes from my childhood. I got the DVDs recently and thought I would watch a couple purely for nostalgia reasons i.e. "I can't believe I used to watch this. Ha, ha!"

But OMG, I was completely hooked and watched the first 6 episodes one after the other. It's weird how you remember little things from the show so clearly. Watching the space battle with the Skull pirate ship gave me such a vivid flashback to my youth it was creepy.

My other main memory of Starfleet is when we had to write a project in my last year of primary school about our favourite T.V. show. I chose Starfleet and got laughed at by everyone because it was 'childish'. They had all put down stuff like Coronation Street! Unfortunately, you still meet people like that in adult life; usually girlfriends!
                Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

It's weird, but sometimes you wait years for something to finally come out then bottle out of buying it!

Luckily, my chum has let me borrow his copy and I'm working my way through it when I can. I've got through the first disc and got goosebumps as I watched the opening credits to the first episode.

All the memories came flooding back! I swear Dai-X is to blame for my love of giant robots!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    It's weird, but sometimes you wait years for something to finally come out then bottle out of buying it!
                    I know what you mean there. I waited years for Mysterious Cities of Gold but when it was released for ?55 I just thought **** that!

Comment

I can't believe I know nothing about his? Was it on normal tv, or SKY? ... There must be a good reason why I missed it? .. What year/s did it first broadcast?

Do you reckon someone with no nostalgia attached to it, will still enjoy it now.. as an adult? .. I might buy it.

Comment

It was on normal tv during the early to mid eighties I think, a long time ago, anyway.

I remembered singing in the them but when I checked for the opening on youtube it was all instrumental. Have I mixed it up with another show (sure I haven't) or is there singing during the end credits?

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          I remembered singing in the them but when I checked for the opening on youtube it was all instrumental. Have I mixed it up with another show (sure I haven't) or is there singing during the end credits?
                          Yeah it's during the end credits that there's the song.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                            Do you reckon someone with no nostalgia attached to it, will still enjoy it now.. as an adult? .. I might buy it.
                            Not sure, really. It's not perfect story telling, but if you like shows like Thunderbirds and Terrahawks because of the excellent sets, then you may enjoy it. I noted that even the headrests on the chairs in X-Bomber have cloth covers like on an airplane!

I'm trying not to be biased as I bloomin' loved the show as a kid and literally got goosebumps when I started watching the boxset after such a long time.

Originally posted by Shinobi7000
                            or is there singing during the end credits?
                            Paul Bliss of the Moody Blues did the audio for the UK version of the show and there's talk of a CD of the music being released.

Brian May did the Star Fleet Project.

The project was released as the work of "Brian May + Friends", consisting of May, guitarist Eddie Van Halen, drummer Alan Gratzer (of REO Speedwagon), Phil Chen (session bassist who played with Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart), and Fred Mandel (session keyboard player who also played as additional keyboard player on Hot Space World Tour and The Works). Roger Taylor, Queen's drummer, provided backing vocals for the title song.

How's that for an all-star lineup?!

"Send a message out across the skyyyyyyyy!"

Comment

Originally posted by FamiDude View Post
                              Anyone else pick this up last week off HMV online? It was down to ?9.99 so I got my order in sharpish!
                              Until you posted this, I had no idea it had come out on DVD. Just got it today, and spent the evening watching the first four or five episodes. It's just brilliant, and brings back so many memories. It felt so epic watching it as a kid, in a way that you didn't get with other series. I love how it's telling a single long story, rather than being stand-alone episodes. All TV does that these days, but it was rare at the time.

Was it only on in certain ITV regions? I remember only being able to watch it when I visited my Dad (who lived a fair way from my Mum's place), and he'd record them for me - on Betamax, no less - when I wasn't there.

Comment

Working...
                              X