• Show
Clear All

The Big Heat - good call lordcookie ...

Comment

Does Brick count as Noir?

That was pretty good...

Comment

The Big Sleep

And depending on whether you'd class it as noir, I'd highly recommend Vertigo if you haven't seen it. Hitchcock's finest.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbatch
          Dead on Arrival, and that one with Lee Marvin and the scalding coffee - what's that damn film called?
          You mean Point Blank? Great film.

If you don't mean Point Blank, still great film.

And Blood Simple is a brilliantly atmospheric 'film noir'. It's beautiful. Don't know if it's technically a 'proper' noir but it's better than most 'proper' noirs.
          Last edited by JazzFunk; 17-06-2006, 01:15.

Comment

Great topic.

My three against the field would be :

Double Indemnity
            Touch Of Evil
            The Third Man

Films not already suggested? The Maltese Falcon.

You should take a look at : http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

Comment

The Big Combo

one of the best and possibly the original 'film noir' thanks to it being almost entirely set at night. the guy who did the photography (who's name escapes me at the moment) literally wote the book on how to use light and shadow in cinema.

it's a lesson on minimal film making - how you can make something as simple as 4 guys in a room with a single bulb look so utterly menacing, or create an airfield on a small soundstage with nothing more than a velvet backdrop and a rotating lamp.
              Last edited by bingowings; 17-06-2006, 08:55.

Comment

The set-up and murder my sweet are worth a punt too

I think out of the past is my favourite.

Comment

Picked up Murder my sweet ^ the other day and id highly recommend it. Loving the Noir at the momment also bought Out of the Past , thanks to this thread havnt seen it yet, although i understand its fantastic, cant wait to see it.

Comment

Another shout for Double Indemnity. Edward G's rambling monologues are worth watching just on their own!

Also, I'm sure vanpeebles would recommend The Blue Dahlia, an Alan Ladd film. Random trivia - it was directed by George Marshall, who directed and starred in a couple of Stan and Ollie films in the early 1930s. He looked canny old then and didn't die until 1975.
                    Last edited by prinnysquad; 29-06-2008, 13:33.

Comment

Out of the Past and The Blue Dahlia are probably two of my favourite noirs. The dialogue between Mitchum and Douglas is just perfect, especially when they're talking about the horse

Comment

Don't think Kiss Me Deadly has been mentioned yet, tis a cracking flick and fairly influential too.
                        Last edited by SharkSkin-Man; 29-06-2008, 21:07.

Comment

you just can't f with double indemnity. cain, chandler and wilder all working together equals perfection.

Comment

I'm not huge on the noir scene but I did catch Out of the Past on TV a couple of years back and totally loved it. Brilliant film. Very similar set-up to A History of Violence, which I also loved. I did buy a couple on dvd following glowing Empire reviews (Laura & The Asphalt Jungle - not sure if these are bonafide 'noirs' though) ... but both brilliant.

Very tempted try one or two recommendations from this thread
                            Last edited by Atticus; 30-06-2008, 09:05.

Comment

The Warner film noir classic collections are a good/cheap way to pick up some classics

I'd also recommend 'laura'

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                I'm not huge on the noir scene but I did catch Out of the Past on TV a couple of years back and totally loved it. Brilliant film. Very similar set-up to A History of Violence, which I also loved. I did buy a couple on dvd following glowing Empire reviews (Laura & The Asphalt Jungle - not sure if these are bonafide 'noirs' though) ... but both brilliant.

Very tempted try one or two recommendations from this thread
                                Haven't seen The Asphalt Jungle yet but Laura is a good un.

Comment

Working...
                                X