No announcement yet.

New Star Trek Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was ****. There I said it. Especially if you liked Star Trek already.

The good:
    Spock
    McCoy
    Scotty (despite what others said)
    The short skirts
    The theme at the end (only because it reminded me of Wayne's World)

The bad:
    Everything else.

The Millennium Falcon "Punch it" bit, the Star Wars phasers, the ship interiors, the fact that the alternative time line didn't end when Nero was destroyed (yes I realise this is so that they can piss all over the franchise from here on in).

In mitigation to all that my Mam loved it and wanted to go straight back in and see it again and she likes sci-fi (ST, SW, BSG, Stargate, etc, etc) as much as me.

Also I hope it bombs at the cinema so we don't have to see anymore. The cinema I saw it in was largely empty and full of freaks (except me, natch!), including a scarily accurate Comic Book Guy-a-like, shame he wasn't in uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post

the alternative time line didn't end when Nero was destroyed (yes I realise this is so that they can piss all over the franchise from here on in).
      why would it end

he had already been there for 25 years and the new timeline had started when he destroyed the Kelvin, so i dont get why it would revert back and kinda what it would revert back too

Scotty was as Scottish as the winner of last years Englishmans competition

heck even the original Scotty was Canadian and he sounded Scottish

Comment

I see where you're coming from

but wouldn't it end because the things that created the alternate timeline in the future (and it started when Romulus was destroyed and the black hole was created), i.e. the Vulcan ship, the Romulans and the "red matter" (another **** part of the film) were obliterated when Nero's ship was destroyed. Therefore, they wouldn't exist in the future to start the sequence again so it could never have happened (if that makes sense! It's a paradox is what I'm saying)

I'm not saying Scotty's accent was good it was just a fun performance.
        Last edited by NW2013; 08-05-2009, 13:42.

Comment

Going to see this tonight, been really looking forward to this. Not a huge trekkie fan myself, but i've always quite enjoyed the films.

Comment

I hatted Peggs Muffit the Daggit mate

Comment

Originally posted by StuM82 View Post
              I see where you're coming from

but wouldn't it end because the things that created the alternate timeline in the future (and it started when Romulus was destroyed and the black hole was created), i.e. the Vulcan ship, the Romulans and the "red matter" (another **** part of the film) were obliterated when Nero's ship was destroyed. Therefore, they wouldn't exist in the future to start the sequence again so it could never have happened (if that makes sense! It's a paradox is what I'm saying)

I'm not saying Scotty's accent was good it was just a fun performance.
              As i mentioned in my Post Simon Pegg was alright however his comedy trainspotting accent was poor

Paradox's can be argued until doomsday and the proper Trekkies seem to constantly bicker about relativity paradox's and splinter timelines, but that alternative timelines started when Nero was sucked into the gravity well of the supernova, the sun going supernova and the destruction of Romulus will be a constant and nothing will really stop that unless somebody time travels to stop what Spock tried to stop, but then we head into another arguement about time travel. For me i was glad they just didnt use a time travel spaceship and they tried to explain them going back in time by being sucked into the quantum singularity (i said it instead of black hole) and as for the red matter, makes a change from dark matter but its all hollywood hokum

as for picking at the bones i'm quite surprised there hasnt been an arguement about explosions in space due to the lack of oxygen or is dilithium different
              Last edited by buster_broon; 08-05-2009, 14:28.

Comment

It is all hokum but at least in the past Trek has had some basis in scientific theories, even if they are really far fetched. Anyway, it's silly arguing about it. I didn't think it was very good so there you go and I think Abrams is massively, massively overrated. I did manage to think of another thing I did like which was the robot cop.

Comment

I liked it in the oft mentioned Iron Man way whereby it sets up stall for a great sequel. And the end of the film doesn't undo the timeline set in place by this film. I can't seem to get my spoiler tags to work but nevertheless the film does explain it's timelines enough to avoid the above mentioned paradox

Comment

I thought it was great. McCoy was my favourite of the new ones, just had me grinning whenever he was on. Played him brilliantly.

The whole story in the film is very much like whats happening in Lost at the moment.

Comment

Watched it again, second time in as many days and still enjoyed every second of it

Comment

Watched this earlier on and I really liked it. I haven't really seen any of the other movies or tv shows yet still enjoyed it. I will definitely be buying it on Blu-Ray and look forward to a sequel, if there is one.
                        Last edited by ezee ryder; 09-05-2009, 01:22.

Comment

Does Kirk lay down some karate/judo on anyone?

Comment

He is either always getting hit, or hitting someone

Comment

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, easily the best Trek movie in some time and better than all the TNG movies combined(not saying much I know). Thought Karl Urban was excellent as Bones and enjoyed Simon Pegg as Scotty whose accent certainly wasn't any worse than James Doohan's. The weakest part of the film was the villain who just wasn't very interesting and there was one too many coincidental plot deveolpments, Kirk's meeting with Spock being the biggest one.

As a reboot it gets the job done and hopefully they can improve on the story and villain in the sequel now that the new cast has been established.

Comment

Just seen it, was fairly fun and enjoyable. Perhaps didn't need the

marooning

bit. It was lacking a big ship vs ship battle though, the big finale seemed a bit under-dramatic.

Good film but First Contact is still my fav.

Comment

Working...
                                X