X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollywood Hot Wheels: Knockout Round 01

WELCOME TO:

HOLLYWOOD HOT WHEELS: KNOCKOUT ROUND 01

Fifthy rounds of voting our way through Hollywood's most famous TV and movie vehicles have helped us to refine this list down to a short list of some of the most iconic to ever grace the screen. 150 vehicles, whittled down and ready to face tighter scrutiny.

Each Knockout round works like the previous ones but with twice the number of competitors making it harder for fan faves to survive.

Each round you can only vote for a single vehicle in the line up, a pile up of Hollywood wreckage left in the wake.

Make your choice and tell us why it deserves to survive above the others:

VEHICLE KO-01: LOTUS ESPRIT S1

VEHICLE KO-02: GENERAL LEE

VEHICLE KO-03: STINGRAY

VEHICLE KO-04: FAB1

VEHICLE KO-05: CONDORMOBILE

VEHICLE KO-06: BATMOBILE 66

Which is the Ultimate Hollywood Hot Wheel?
    Lotus Esprit S1
    66.67%
    General Lee
    0%
    Stingray
    0%
    FAB 1
    0%
    Condormobile
    0%
    Batmobile 66
    33.33%

No contest. James Bond's Lotus is so cool even now.

Comment

Yup - part submarine, part rocket launcher platform, part paint sprayer, the ability to drop mines.

The only other contender is FAB 1.

Comment

Man, this is really tough as I like all of these.

I loved the General Lee as per all the initial rounds. Dem wheels, tho.
        I guess it's just a car at the end of the day and the roof art makes it difficult to love in this day and age.

Stingray and FAB-1 are fantastic, but I think I like them because of the appeal of the miniatures in Anderson's work.
        There was an FAB-1 at Dezerland, but didn't gawp at it like some of the other cars there.

Batmobile is cool and who didn't have a toy version of it? Who hadn't heard at school of a friend-of-a-friend getting blinded by the matchstick firing mechanism?
        As I said in the first round it appeared, it's so retro-futuristic.

I also love the Condormobile. The film is questionable, but that chase sequence is phenomenal. I'll go on record and say it's one of the best movie chase scenes for me. A great mix of practical and special effects. See previous gushing.

However, my vote's got to go the Lotus Esprit. It's just got everything. The film is ace, it looks cool, how they got it in the film is a great story and all the gadgets are what hooked me on the Bond series as a kid. Everyone had a Matchbox version although I wanted the bigger version with the pop-out fins.
        Ramblings here.

Just look at it!

Comment

I get what people are saying but for me the Batmobile is the best. The Esprit is nice but as a wedge car I don't actually think it would turn my head in the street. Some of the others would out of sheer novelty but the 66 Batmobile still carries some sense of cool which is an achievement given the immense cheese of the show itself.

Comment

Ah, I'm a wedge car fan. Countach, Esprit, Stratos etc.

I think it transcends the Batmobile for me because to me the Lotus does turn heads (see the story about how it got chosen to be in TSWLM), it's a sporty looking car and still doesn't look dated some 50ish years later.

However, I think the covert spy elements make it cooler to me than the overt pipes and bat logos on the Batmobile.
            It's only when the pressure's on that the oil slicks, missiles and submarine mode appear.

Horses for courses, and that's why this has been such a fun thread, because it's not just a case of which car looks best, it's more nuanced with what the car does on-screen, what age you saw it and what impression it made on you and possibly the toys you played with.

Comment

Working...
            X