BPX100: The Greatest Superhero Movie So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPX100: The Greatest Superhero Movie So Far

We reach the culmination of the past few votes, covering the breadth of hero films made in the past several decades. With it we also come to the final BPX thread.

Like how this replaced the PTE run of threads, this will be replaced by an altered version of the format moving forward and so we leave things on a light note, calling time by marking the measure by which Hollywood should judging their future efforts.

Here are the films that have made the cut... but which is the very best?

You can vote for only one

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    27.27%
    Shazam!
    0%
    The Suicide Squad
    0%
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    0%
    Superman: The Movie
    45.45%
    Superman II
    27.27%

First - it's a travesty that Spider-Man 2 isn't here

Two - I'm genuinely torn on this one. I feel like I can place Superman: The Movie above its sequel and I don't think I'd choose Shazam or X-Men but I don't feel the others are the greatest ever either and I'd probably be more likely to sit down and watch the more recent films over the clearly more revered one...

Comment

I've gone with objectivity and voted Superman, that puts the vote in a dead heat currently

Comment

Superman II has got so many more memorable moments than the first one, so that got my vote.

Comment

By Internet Fanboy rules Superman II should lose due to the nerdrage factor that Superman murders in it

Comment

My memory is hazy, but if you're talking about Zod and his crew, there's one version where Supes flies around the world backwards, rewinding time and putting the villainous Kryptonians back into the Phantom Zone.

However, there's another cut where we see them and Lex Luther getting arrested, so the intention was never meant to imply they were murdered, but the drama over swapping Donner and Lester meant that scenes were edited out.

Comment

Yep, I remember watching the Donner Cut which I know many prefer but I'm more a fan of the theatrical. Repeating the time rewind from the first film feels overly like a cop out, . They just about get away with it in the first because Superman has been warned of the dangers by Jor-El but in the moment is wracked with grief, whereas doing it in the sequel as well means that Superman might as well end every incident doing it

Comment

While obviously it wouldn't exist without the Donner work and building on the first, I find the theatrical cut of Superman II to be far more entertaining than the first movie. Partly just because it's more fun, partly because the three villains are superb on top of Hackman's Luthor but also largely because the first movie spends so much time on getting to Metropolis where, for me, the movie really begins.

Comment

Tomorrow the winner will be called but whatever the outcome Christopher Reeves will be doing a victory lap around Earth

Comment

It's done. The winner of the title of being The Greatest Superhero Movie So Far is....

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

Comment

Popped in a late vote for Winter Soldier, but 100% this ...

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      First - it's a travesty that Spider-Man 2 isn't here
                      It's the GOAT

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        It's done. The winner of the title of being The Greatest Superhero Movie So Far is....

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE

Awesome! Love this film, glad I’m not the only one!

Superman 2 theatrical cut is also great, including the decision to become mortal and then return. It was a tough choice between the 2. I picked the 1st on the basis of the whole sweep of the story. I actually like the slow start.

They have a great soundtrack, too, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                        X