Threequels That Surpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threequels That Surpass

We've twice discussed which sequels are better than the original film in their respective franchises but here we're going to dial up the difficulty and ask the simple but harder to answer question of which third entries in a film series are better than the films that preceeded them?

It can be from any genre but it can't be a reboot or remake, it has to be a continuation - the sequels sequel.

What threequels are superior to the prior entries and why?

Thor Ragnarok. I'd say.

Comment

Hmmm... that's a tricky one.

Personally, I love Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3).
      I much prefer the tone of action, comedy and timeless one-liners.

*shrug*
      Goldfinger?

Comment

Rocky 3 - the GOAT

Last edited by Finsbury Girl; 13-05-2024, 13:03.

Comment

A friend at college once told me of a truism: any film with 3 in the title is a bad one. So not necessarily all second sequels, just those featuring a 3. Are there exceptions? I can’t think of one!

Comment

Sharknado 3.
            ​​

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
              A friend at college once told me of a truism: any film with 3 in the title is a bad one. So not necessarily all second sequels, just those featuring a 3. Are there exceptions? I can’t think of one!
              The Three Amigos.

Does "The 39 Steps" count?

Comment

If you're keeping to just the nuts and bolts of the MCU - Spider-Man: No Way Home is much better than the prior two films

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Harry Potter and the Prison of Azkaban

I know there will be disagreement on this one but it does have a 3 in the title...

Men in Black 3

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
                  That's right Rocky III doesn't have a 3

THERE IS NOT TOMORROW ROCK!

Comment

It is bizarrely difficult to think of third movies that even live up to the original, never mind surpass it. Thor Ragnarok is a good shout. Tokyo Drift in its own way, I guess. But I'm really struggling. Does Revenge of the Sith count because it's the third movie in that trilogy?

Comment

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (third film in The Man with No Name spaghetti westerns).

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        I know there will be disagreement on this one but it does have a 3 in the title...

Men in Black 3
                        TBF I left college in 2003 so it could be the rule has since fallen foul of this film!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                          Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Harry Potter and the Prison of Azkaban
                          Couple of great shouts

Comment

Revenge of the Sith... kind of... I'd normally jump straight on it being the sixth film but the gap in time making them and the shift in tone and execution... it does feel like the third of three more than the sixth of six.

I think I would still stand by the original but Toy Story 3 gave it a damned good swing

Comment

I think Toy Story 2 is the best one.
                              All the characters are established in the first film, so it's straight into the jokes.
                              The opening videogame sequence, the cones on the road, meeting the other toys in Al's Toy Barn and the airport finale are so much fun.

I liked TS3, but thought it relied too much on emotion, rather than story to be memorable.
                              I did love all the Toy Story Shorts set after 3, though!

Comment

Working...
                              X