Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollywood Hot Wheels - Winner Announcement

HOLLYWOOD HOT WHEELS: THE GRAND-TOUR FINAL

Over months of voting we have culled a list of 150 famous movie and TV vehicles down to just two final contenders. Here stand the voted for pinnacles of Hollywood creations with both finalists defeating other forms of transport and seeing the humble car emerge as the favourite form. That being said, both aren't just cars. Each has their own signature elements that made them beloved by fans for decades.

-You can only vote for one of the two finalists-

Make your choice and tell us why it is the greatest Hollywood Hot Wheel

VEHICLE GF01: Lotus Esprit S1

VEHICLE GF02: DeLorean DMC-12

​​​​Which is the Ultimate Hollywood Hot Wheel?​
    Lotus Esprit S1
    42.86%
    DeLorean DMC-12
    57.14%
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 10-06-2024, 08:55.

Tough call but giving the DeLorean some love this time

Comment

The DeLorean, it's iconic to the point where even its silhoette from nearly any angle is a pop culture pin up. It's iconic to the point were two lines of fire and literally no car at all is enough to make people go 'Delorean is ****ing awesome'
      Sheer legend

Comment

Like two trails of flames, the poll remains deadlocked

Comment

For me, it's the Lotus.
          Obviously, I love The DeLorean and it's part of what makes BttF so amazing.

However, the Lotus is just lovely for so many reasons.

I think it's such a great moment in the movie where we've had this amazing car chase with helicopters and land-missiles disguised as motorcycle sidecars, Jaws and his cronies taking potshots at Bond before getting sprayed with cement countermeasures and then this amazing moment where he just drives his car off a pier - surely he's doomed them both?!

NO! HIS CAR TURNS INTO A SUBMARINE!

Then we have a sequence underwater where bond fights off scuba divers and finds the villain's lair.

The whole thing is nicely topped off with him driving out of the water, dropping off a fish and an unsuspecting sunseeker double-taking what he's been drinking.

As I said previously, there's a lovely story how the car made the film after Lotus got wind of a where a new Bond film was being discussed and parked the Esprit nearby to Pinewood Studios, so the movie execs would spot it. By the time they came out, there was a crowd around the car. Lotus PR man, Don McLaughlan, walked up, got in and drove off without a word, to make the execs find out what the car was.

I also think the car was in my conscience before I saw the film because I had the little Corgi car. There was an even better one that was bigger and had the pop-out sub fins, but it was the little Corgi I played with in the bath as a kid! So by the time I saw the film, I already loved it.

Going to see it at the Cars of the Stars Museum in Keswick was lovely and seeing it again in its new home in Florida made me feel just as excited and I was like a kid in a candy shop. I couldn't believe I was seeing all these Bond vehicles and memorabilia and I had the place to myself!

They had a standard Lotus sat outside and I think the car still looks futuristic, even without the Bond associations, and it's from 1975!

Here's the actual Lotus used in TSWLM at Dezerland in Florida.

Comment

I somehow missed how KITT got knocked out of this.

Anyway, my vote goes to KITT.

Comment

Oh bloody hell, this one is tough. Both amazing and both I'd love to own but if I had to pick one, the DeLorean just edges in front.

Comment

GRAND FINAL WINNER

The voting is complete after a full week and we have our pole position winner. 150 of Hollywoods most famous vehicles have faced off over the past months and everything has culminated in the crowning of the greatest vehicle the industry has ever produced as voted by Bordersdown.

The Back to the Future DeLorean DMC-12 is the ultimate Hollywood Hot Wheel

And those who voted for our runner up, the victory of the DeLorean should prove an easy pill to swallow as Bond fans can take a quantum of solace in the technical win thanks to the DeLorean being based on... the Lotus Esprit S1!

Comment

Thanks for running these threads, Supes!
                  It's been a lot of fun and a great opportunity to share my Dezerland snaps!

Not gutted the DeLorean won as it's iconic!

I've seen ones at car shows, Coventry Motor Museum, Universal Studios, Dezerland, Cars of the Stars and most recently at a local Comic Con!

Comment

Neon Ignition love your runner up winner logic. Very nice 👍
                    Either of these cars are true greats.

Comment

The Lotus always looks so dinky that putting a DeLorean around it would go some way to explain the latters low top speed

Comment

Working...
                      X