X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
    Hmmm...a 50s b-movie? Okay.

No. It's still ****.

AvP is **** in so many ways that I reckon thinking of it as 'a piece of ****' is the only way that it can possibly meet expectations.

While I find enjoyable elements in both A3 and AR, the series should have died after Aliens. Two films that good in different ways seemed too tough to follow.
    Tell me the bit where the Predator slices the Alien's face w/ his disc blade as it decends behind him on a wall, and then the front part of the Aliens head slides off and it is dead, is it not cool.

It is cool, very cool.

AVP is not a piece of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp_Rapper
      as much as i would truly adore an aliens film set on earth, i fear there is nobody out there who could EVER do the idea justice. unless the xenomorph's visit is a contained one (underground army base or similar) there's no chance of anyone pulling it off.
      Guess where the new film Alien V Predator: Survival of the Fittest is supposedly set then?

Yep, a densely populated town in the US of A.

Coming August 2007 folks.

Originally posted by Leon
      What about a whole amarda of those giant Alien filled ships from Alien, appearing in Earth orbit and then sending crafts down to colonise the Earth.
      You do know that The Pilot was nothing to do with the Aliens themselves? The one in the first movie was just a carrier that crash landed on the planet. The chances of hundreds of ships purposely blasting pods down to a planet is unlikely. The arrival of Aliens on Earth would be done much quieter (ie: a small number of Predator hunting crops getting out of hand, or one ship containing a few eggs / Aliens crashing).

The Aliens are just animals after all. Highly effective killing / breeding machines but that's all they know.

Comment

As soon as the aliens went CGI it really lost something for me

like the bit in aliens resurrection when you see the aliens swimming

Comment

Originally posted by DANGEROUS
          Tell me the bit where the Predator slices the Alien's face w/ his disc blade as it decends behind him on a wall, and then the front part of the Aliens head slides off and it is dead, is it not cool.

It is cool, very cool.

AVP is not a piece of ****.

One bit does not a movie make.

Heh, Yoda...

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101
            Guess where the new film Alien V Predator: Survival of the Fittest is supposedly set then?

Yep, a densely populated town in the US of A.
            and just like the first one, it'll be utterly terrible.

Comment

How about a batman vs predator or judge dredd vs predator ?

Comment

Big fan of the alien films. Apart from AvP, which as has been mentioned, doesn't really have any reason to exist apart from to milk a couple of franchises.

And Alien 5 is increasingly unlikely. Sigourney Weaver is arguably too old, and if attached would no doubt start throwing her weight around like she did on 3 (the 'no weapons' idea was hers I believe), which would probably be a problem if you got the best obvious choice for director, which is Ridley Scott, who so irascable and petty he makes Albert Steptoe look like Buddha.

Scott's spoken about doing 5 a couple of times, around the time they released the Quadrilogy (in fact I think he even talks about it on the DVD) but the proper send off the story requires - Alien comes to earth - is too expensive (hence why all the others have been set in dark corridors of various descriptions and why the phenomenal Gibson script for Alien 3 - http://geocities.com/scifiscripts/sc...en3_gibson.txt - wasn't used) - and getting the budget required to do it justice would probably require a male star cos Weaver alone probably wouldn't be thought of as enough as a force on her own. Suddenly it doesn't seem so weird that we're now being foisted AvP. Kind of reminds me of the way the Frankenstein movies slid from stunning to 'Abbot and Costello meets'...

Basically, what started as an outrageously intelligent and beautifully crafted movie is now a franchise. I don't think any of the original producers are still involved (in fact I think most of them jumped after 3, although 4 has it's moments) and the last time they got arty (on resurrection) it didn't perform. Hence the creature feature AvP franchise - cheap, profitable, and dull as dishwater.

I'd love to be proved wrong, of course...

Comment

You do know that The Pilot was nothing to do with the Aliens themselves? The one in the first movie was just a carrier that crash landed on the planet. The chances of hundreds of ships purposely blasting pods down to a planet is unlikely. The arrival of Aliens on Earth would be done much quieter (ie: a small number of Predator hunting crops getting out of hand, or one ship containing a few eggs / Aliens crashing).

The Aliens are just animals after all. Highly effective killing / breeding machines but that's all they know.
                  Forgot to mention that too...guess he's not the fan he thinks he is?

I would really like to have seen more of the aliens taking on the DNA of their hosts then we've seen in the movies. If you read the book for Alien 3 the hatchling originally latched on to one of the ox's can be seen pulling the escape pod at the beginning of the movie, as a result the alien is...ermm...built like an ox. Instead they had it latch on to a dog, which although made for a nippy little thing, I still would have preferred to see something a little different.

Comment

Ripley: They cut the power.

Comment

Probably just snagged it's leg on a power cable while scuttling through the vents

Comment

From what i can gather in the films (and in more detail in the comics)

the aliens take on characteristics of the victims

So how about aliens crash on on a remote base on earth populated by super intelligent geniuses of course these people discover the ship of course things go wrong the result is aliens cleverer then the standard variety

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
                          Ripley: They cut the power.
                          Bloody cleaners plugging their vacuum cleaners in again.

They do have some level of intelligence as you see them conversing and hatching a plan in Ressurection where there are three of them in that cell.
                          Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 22-11-2006, 08:51.

Comment

AvP was **** and A4 was simply ok.

And who gives a **** if Ripley gets back to Earth? She's like a gagillion years old and has no past that matters to her.

They ****ed up A3 IMO having Hicks and Newt killed off, what was the ****ing point? I think Weavers influence has a lot to do with it.

I think Predator 3 was be the best thing now but you know they'd **** it up, its all about the moolah innit? 1&2 were so good but who would you have in 3 anyway? Hollywood musclemen: Vin Diesel, The Rock and a whole number of WWE rejects.

Comment

i thought newt was killed off because the actress who played her had grown up

Though they could have said a faulty cryo machine that caused her to age

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyWrench
                                They do have some level of intelligence as you see them conversing and hatching a plan in Ressurection where there are three of them in that cell.
                                True - my point with the animal thing was about Leon suggesting some mass orchestrated drop down to Earth.

Most animals are intelligent, so escaping traps and flicking switches / knocking out lights isn't really an issue. A mates dog (sadly long gone from this world) actually learnt quite quickly how turn lights and even electrical sockets on and off ( and while funny at first, can't say he was best pleased about it when he'd come home and find everything had been switched on by the dog).

By comparison, the dog never ever learnt to drive his car as it was no doubt too complicated for it (and the lack of opposable thumbs would have been a bit of a problem too). Using that as the nearest comparison we have, the idea of Aliens piloting interstellar ships just doesn't work.
                                Last edited by Spatial; 22-11-2006, 09:34. Reason: spelling errorz

Comment

Working...
                                X