Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have problems with 3D, I have to really make an effort to focus my eyes or I get a double image. Can watch them but I end up with a massive headache and my eyes feel funny

But them I've some weird issues with my eyes that got flagged up at the optitions (pupils dilating at different rates). Got a hospital appointment to get them checked out. Fun fun fun..

Comment

I just got back from watching this at the Manchester Odeon Imax.

The 3D seemed f**ked up, We couldn't even read the subtitles because they were radically out of focus, and to top it off the film broke down 1/3 of the way in... and then again 1/2 through.

They wanted to get it fixed for their 00:00 showing so got rid of us by offering a refund and a free ticket.

I'm glad they did because I'm sure it wasn't being shown right.

The 3D was balls, I don't think it was being shown using the right gear - objects out of focus, in both foreground and background, were ghosted like crazy, totally unwatchable. This isn't a case of me not coping with it as I've watched plenty of 3D before (and even got on well with the Virtual Boy), and none of it has been as bad as this.
      Last edited by dataDave; 18-12-2009, 23:52.

Comment

Out of everything that could have been botched it was this. What a bumming.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
          Saw this in the morning with a mate and we both had the same view, about as average as films can get.
          Yep.

Best visuals I've ever seen. "Photorealistic"? Well, everything bar the animals / people. Not sure if they qualify, because they're all alien after all so we've not got a true frame of reference - they all moved amazingly, and not once did the blue skin give me any issues.

Saw this at the Odeon IMAX in London. Before, we had some 3D trailers, so could compare the 3D experience of the film to those. This had, by far, the most impressive 3D yet. It's not perfect, but what Cameron does is use it well. It's not in your face, it adds real depth. Plus he lights everything up, so the dulling effect of the glasses (which must be a stop or two) isn't an issue.

My first time at the Imax, and the image on that screen was incredible. The sound as well. Best cinema I've been too, will be returning a lot in the future

The film.... sorry to say, but it was flat. You could see where it was going within 20 minutes, and knew who'd live and who'd die by then. And Unobtanium? Seriously? Cameron has never done subtle.

It's a hard film to really judge. It HAS to be seen in the cinema, and everything HAS to see it there! It's a new experience, unlike other 3D films I genuinely felt I could touch the characters. I've never been as drawn into a film as this, visually.

Such a shame the story was By The Numbers. I had no real emotional connection with the characters. I tried, but couldn't do it. The audience sat attentively, but passively. No cheering, no hollers. Transfixed by the visuals, but dulled by the story.

Still, it's a must see film, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again for the visuals

Comment

I thought the fauna and minor life forms were very Metroidy.

Comment

Can't comment, my Metroid time is about 15 minutes before I nearly passed out through motion sickness

Comment

Oh, and what is it with Cameron and End Of Movie Cheese Songs? LOL.

Comment

was odd feeling for me as I dwelled on watching it yesterday afternoon, I actually was getting irritated last night that such amazing visuals and planning were wasted on such a poor by the numbers script.

plotwise its virtually identical to some kids human invading a peaceful planet trailer that got shown before it.

he may well have spent 4 years putting together the stunning visuals but don't think much of that time was spent on the plot.

not totally slating it as was worth a watch, just very generic fare.

Comment

They seriously call the substance they're after unobtanium? Presumably the substance discovered by professor Mcguffin?

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                      The audience sat attentively, but passively. No cheering, no hollers.
                      Well thank God or that. This is Great Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        Well thank God or that. This is Great Britain.
                        Many of my best cinema experiences were with an active audience. A good collective cheer after a kick arse action move is great

Comment

got to disagree there, I cringe at cheering or applauding in the cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                            Same.

Comment

You're all far too British

I remember watching Rocky 4 when I was 14 or so. Awesome, the crowd cheering and booing every exchange.

You can't beat it, it's a group release, almost cathartic. For that moment in the world, nothing else matters, you've had a great experience together.

Of course, many people cringe at it, but I'm not so repressed Only joking

Please note I am not talking about the American Movie Experience here, where every idiot cheers and whoops at the most pedestrian on-screen achievements. That's horrible.

Watching Return Of The King at the first showing at Leceister Square, what a great audience. The cheering when Legolas took down the big elephant was brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                                Thirded. Its f*cking retarded to cheer at a screen. Leave the Americans to all that nonsense, but each to their own.

Comment

Working...
                                X