The Thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erm... I can't see anything!

Have your pictures assimilated with the forum whilst nobody was watching...

Has anybody seen The Mist? Thomas Jane's character, David Drayton is a movie poster artist and at the start of the film, his study shows some of his previous work including the poster for The Thing.

It's all done by Drew Struzan who's done loads of posters to films where you'll go "Oh, he painted that?"

You can own the painting for The Thing if you like. It'll only set you back a cool $90000!

Comment

I saw The Mist (black and white version to make myself feel highbrow ) and thought it was great. The ending a real jaw dropper too!

Comment

2 hours to go and I am like a kid on Xmas

Comment

I'm catching the 12:15 showing at Birmingham. Gonna be sweet!

Comment

It was the smae master as the BRD, so some DNR and some EE

Comment

They normally are the bluray masters aren't they?

I saw Blues Brothers and for about 30 minutes it was out of sync. Quite a problem in a musical!!

Comment

I had no problem with Blues, no these masters are over 2k from that I could figure.
                They are most likely projected at 2k the HD-DVD of the thing was better looking than the BRD as it had no DNR

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed watching this on the big screen. It was just about sold out and there was a great crowd in (we were at the 9.00 showing and there was a guy behind us who'd been there since noon, taking in his fourth consecutive viewing). I forgot how funny it was in the film when they're overpowering Blair and McReedy launches him with a few lefties

The print looked pretty amazing as far as I could see, though it did expose a matt painting to the point where I could have been watching a Tom & Jerry cartoon

All in all though, awesome. Wish it was a full Carpenter season instead of a Universal thing.

Comment

Wow, I'm a bit jealous, but you can't be everywhere at once.

How was it in Brum, Taka? That's where I would have seen it, but in the evening showing.

dvdmike, did you manage to switch off analysing the print and still enjoy the movie on the big screen?

What was the atmosphere like, were people cheering and laughing at the headspider and so on? Were there any annoying people who insisted on speaking all the lines?

So...

What's your top 5 Carpenter directed films?

It's really tough and changes regularly but today it's:
                    1. The Thing
                    2. Escape From New York
                    3. Big Trouble in Little China
                    4. They Live
                    5. Assault on Precinct 13
                    Last edited by QualityChimp; 16-09-2009, 14:38. Reason: Nobody Saw nuffin'...

Comment

Surely you made a mistake with number 2! Escape from New York, not LA right?

EFNY would be my number 1, and I can't believe nobody wouldn't put it at least top 5!

1. EFNY
                      2. They Live
                      3. The Thing
                      4. Assault on Precinct 13
                      5. Halloween

Comment

What are you banging on about? *cough*

Comment

Saw this in Bolton last night. Thinking that the screening would be quite
                          dead (most decent films usually are at this cinema?!), I was really surprised to see that it was pretty much completely sold out! Me and my girlfriend must have got the last couple of seats going in there.

Really enjoyed watching it again and thought the picture quality looked pretty good to me. Was also the first time "the missus" had seen the film too and she gave it the thumbs up. It also made a refreshing change to watch a certificate 18 film and not have to put up with little chav ****s talking/messing about their way through the entire film.

Anway cheers for the heads up on this and I hope they do it again with some of the other classic horrors.

Oh and as for my top 5...

1) Assault On Precinct 13
                          2) Escape From New York
                          3) The Thing
                          4) They Live
                          5) Prince Of Darkness or Halloween (depending on what mood I'm in )
                          Last edited by MetalJoe; 16-09-2009, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            were people cheering and laughing at the headspider and so on?
                            The head spider got a huge laugh when it scuttled out of the door

1. Escape Frome New York
                            2. Assault on Precinct 13
                            3. The Fog
                            4. Halloween
                            5. Dark Star

Comment

That nearly two decade old Thing spider head is amazing Anephric, it reminds me of a prop in a teenage boys room in a John Hughes film.

Saw the film yesterday in Liverpool, gutted to miss the opening credits as was running late, saw the norwegian copter land. You do never see what happened in the space ship, MacReady and co leave after discovering the alien body. Whole lotta love for this film.

Comment

Took the day off work for this and caught the 4:45 showing. There were only like 6 people in the whole screen so managed to get centre seats in the third row . So awesome seeing all the extra detail, had no idea it could look that good. Hear you on the matte painting though, looked a bit obvious.

My top 5:

1. The Thing
                                2. The Prince of Darkness
                                3. Vampires
                                4. Escape from New York
                                5. They Live

There's a few I haven't seen though, The Fog and In the Mouth of Madness primarily.

Comment

Working...
                                X