No announcement yet.

Sky HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how cool is this for footy fans, just done this and it works, you can get ITV HD via Sky (not free sat)

little fiddly to access the channel as not in the main EPG but setup a breeze and means I'll get the ITV champs league games in glorious HD now

wish I knew this for england last night, hate footy in SD now.

Comment

Ta for posting that link. Was going to hunt for it this evening

Comment

it does work, i got the ITV HD screen up saying its not currently broadcasting and have the channel stored, just a bit of a pain that you have to go into services to access it every time but better than not getting it at all.

Comment

That's great news then, look forward to getting the update!

Comment

the itv HD trick works on old EPG too, its just manually adding a channel, I assume ITV broadcast via the sky platform and this is just nicking an open unencrypted feed that ITV haven't paid to add to the sky EPG slot.
            Last edited by merf; 02-04-2009, 08:28.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for that! Now I won't have to be annoyed any more when the CL matches I want to watch are on ITV

Edit: Tried adding it on the old EPG but couldn't get it to work, probably doing something idiotic that I haven't spotted yet I'll give it another go at lunch! Hope they don't take too long to give me the new EPG (although I only got Sky HD last year so I'm probably at the back of the queue).
              Last edited by EJG1980; 02-04-2009, 09:23.

Comment

I was a Sky HD preorderer but no update here. I had my box replaced, does that bump me to the back?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Monkey Balls View Post
                  I was a Sky HD preorderer but no update here. I had my box replaced, does that bump me to the back?
                  It's all done on model number. So it depends what model you received as a replacement. Mine was replaced a few weeks back (out of warranty!) but "fortunately" it was replaced by the same model number (which was one of the earlier ones).

I think the intial batch (a few weeks back) were upgraded as that model had the smallest install base, so that they could iron out problems. Not sure what their plan is now

Comment

Does this update come down over the telephone line? I'm confused...

Comment

No, via the satellite dish, over night. So be sure to ignore environmentalists, and leave your sky box on over night (or at least in stand by mode).

Comment

Sky HD is great

For Skysports in HD
                        For BBC programs in HD
                        Lot more recording space as most things recorded in SD

Downside

No new EPG for Pace box yet
                        No ITV HD (For old EPG users)
                        Poor subtitles playback on non BBC channels
                        No subtitles on CH4 HD so I can't watch Jasmine in Place in the sun with subtitles unless I watch it in SD
                        No subtitles support (As far I know) on National Geography/Discovery channels.

I am reasonable happy for sport, BBC and more recording space.

Comment

overall impressions from first day of usage of the new sky EPG are very positive.

I don't store much stuff on there so overall its very nippy to use, they've fixed the ffwd bugs which have annoyed for ages and the mini tv in the EPG and increased now/next functions are great.

On the downside a small new bug wherby even if you have the front panel lights set to off you get a spinny blue disc on playback now (apparently they knew of this but didn't bother to fix it). Also the blue button to skip thru your fave channels seems a bit cranky and rather than go thru your faves from where you are it starts with the last channel you were on.

The bugs are liveable with so overall I'd deffo swap the new for the old as its just much much better overall. I've also read of the mini tv in the EPG giving people resolution switching issues on their tvs, I've not seen this as have the sky box locked at 1080i, not on auto resolution.

Comment

I'd forgotten about this until now (Only got the new guide last week), but I've just tried the process for getting ITV HD through the new EPG and it works like a charm for both me and my brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                              I'd forgotten about this until now (Only got the new guide last week), but I've just tried the process for getting ITV HD through the new EPG and it works like a charm for both me and my brother.

http://www.tellytoad.com/page/itv-hd-on-sky-hd.aspx
                              Nice little hack - just set it up now. Shame about the no record funtions though, but you can't have everything I suppose

Bet Sky wise-up to this cheat at some point

Comment

I don't know what the problem is between Sky and ITV for the HD - I can only assume Sky are charging more for the HD channels than ITV are willing to pay.

Comment

Working...
                                X