Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
    I quite liked Mutt, the idea that he was a highly educated lad who has turned into a motorcycle mechanic was quite fresh.
    Yeah, not as annoying as I feared he would be. Good acting. I don't think he's the guy to carry on the franchise though, for two reasons. Firstly he just isn't "manly" enough to be fighting Russians or Koreans or whatever would come next.

And second, the title really doesn't have the same impact:

Mutt Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis

That just doesn't sell me!

Comment

Mutt was my biggest worry going into this movie. 30 mins later I realised he was the least of its problems.

Before going to see Cystal Skull a friend warned me that it was ****, and I'd replied that that would be ok as long as it was a **** Indy movie. What we got was simply a **** movie - without a trace of Indy to be seen. There was no mystery, charm, or any sense of peril at any moment. Every attempt at comedy fell flat, the characters were awful, and the plot jumped all over the shop and lacked any drive or momentum. If this isn't bad enough - these were the main elements that made the previous movies great - it was punctuated by some of the most ludicrous and out of place scenes imaginable. Indy

surviving a nuclear explosion at ground zero

(I mean seriously, wtf?), Mutt

swinging through the trees leading a monkey army, the UFO

ending (ppl were laughing in the cinema!!) .... it goes on and on. The Young Indiana Jones series, with its comparatively tiny budget, captured the sense of Indiana Jones far better than this movie. Infact, the Mummy did it better than Crystal Skull, and I hate the Mummy.
      Last edited by ezee ryder; 02-06-2008, 01:05. Reason: original post did not include spoiler tags

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
        Yeah, not as annoying as I feared he would be. Good acting. I don't think he's the guy to carry on the franchise though, for two reasons. Firstly he just isn't "manly" enough to be fighting Russians or Koreans or whatever would come next.

And second, the title really doesn't have the same impact:

Mutt Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis

That just doesn't sell me!
        No, he didn't pull off manly very well, in fact the motorcycle riding near the start was almost amusing.
        He still reminds me of

Comment

great movie, i feel sorry for you guys who dont like it and are nit picking

Comment

Mrs 45 isn't interested in seeing this (Or Iron Man), so I have it scheduled in for next Saturday. The wait is killing me.

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
              great movie, i feel sorry for you guys who dont like it and are nit picking
              I'm a big action movie (and Indy) fan and was honesty bored for most of Crystal Skull. Regardless of the fact that it really didn't feel anything like Indiana Jones, it was very average as an action flick fullstop.

Comment

im a huge indy fan to, i felt it combined some elements from all 3 films, it was not the best in the series, but still a great action and adventure, its not ment to be realistic just a fun ride,

Comment

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Ticked pretty much every box I wanted it to. Some great locations and set pieces, nostalgia by the bucket load, and a few smiles along the way (okay, and maybe the odd groan too). One thing I loved straight away was the 50s look of it, and all the things that go with the period; the a-bomb, paranoia, etc.

I can't imagine what it would be like seeing this film if you didn't grow up with Indy, but I think it must make a difference. And even then, you need to remember you're likely to have watched the others with a less cynical mind.

If you're prepared to lose yourself and just go along for the ride you'll have fun.

Comment

Yeh I watched this on monday.

I feel it isnt as bad as everyone is making it out but it is definitely the weakest of the Indy films to date. Im preparation I watched the first 3 movies back to back over the weekend and basically they are all much better paced and well written in comparison.

That's not to say there isnt much to love in this new film, just that it doesnt quite achieve the expectations set on it. I enjoyed the addition of Mutt, being a rather dis-gruntled adolescent version of Indy himself with his own short fuse, plus I really appreciated the nod's to the previous films such as references to the Arc, Marcus Brody etc...

What I think lets it down are the plot-holes and pacing of the whole thing. It just didnt flow in a natural progressive sense. Some explanations were unnecessary and others just glossed over in quick fashion. That coupled with the fact some of the action sequences had some rather stupid set-pieces just made the tongue in cheek humour being attempted feel rather sour.

With any action film of this nature you really have to suspend belief and accept the proceedings in the context of its own universe but here I felt some pieces went way past the mark. As a whole though, not great but certainly not terrible.

Comment

I hate what modern action blockbusters have become. They just try too hard, if you know what I mean. They're all just crash, bang, wallop, and very little else. How I miss the simplicity of characters I could care for...and stories, no matter how fantastical, that remained within the realms of believability. Sure, Temple of Doom might have pushed its luck with the

dingy parachute ride

, but seriously, that now seems like the model of restraint compared to

surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge.

You'd think after all the time Crystal Skull spent in development hell, that they could come up with something better than
                      as well. And if they really had to go with that, it's probably best not to reveal your hand early on. What the hell has happened to Spielberg and Lucas? They used to be able to knock this kind of stuff out in their sleep. They even had the benefit of countless pale imitations to know how NOT to make an Indy film and they still made a mighty mess of it.

Sheeet, there's a lot to dislike about Crystal Skull -

the comedy gophers, the crap, non-threatening villians, the swinging through the trees like Tarzan bit

, but the very worst...I mean, the very worst, is seeing Indy as an old man. How ****ing depressing is that? I like to watch escapist entertainment like this to, y'know, escape. I really don't want reminding that time waits for no man. How I wished they had left Indy to the comic book, videogame, medium where he never grows old. *sob*
                      Last edited by PrayforMojo; 06-06-2008, 14:51.

Comment

Saw this the other day wasn't expecting greatness and it about met my expectations. Felt the film was a bit too long, probably would benefit from being 15 minutes shorter.

HF is getting on, but still looks good for a 64 (iirc) year old.

Comment

I thought it was about 2hs too long

I found it utterly dire on almost every conceivable level.

The thing that really surprised me was how Lucas & Spielberg and Harrison Ford had been going on about how they wouldn't make another until they had the right script and you end up with some reject X-files script with aliens in it.
                          Last edited by merf; 07-06-2008, 15:26.

Comment

To buck the trend...I think this was classic pulp and hence classic indy. Certainly no better or worse than any others in the quartet. There were cringy bits but there were in the other movies too. Loved it.

Comment

Id of liked of have seen the ark have more of a cameo, instead of a split second pan, personally this is what id of done; indys running for the ruskies, trips over the ark box looks instead and thinks "hmm nice", so the soldiers run around the corner, indy kicks the ark on its side the lid falls off and he winks and goes "ice to zee zou!" then all the soldiers get ark lightning striked etc..... bound to turn up in a Lucas edit?

Ive just thought of a better line

"letz zee vhat ze man upstairz thinkz"
                              Last edited by Largo; 09-06-2008, 07:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
                                Id of liked of have seen the ark have more of a cameo, instead of a split second pan, personally this is what id of done; indys running for the ruskies, trips over the ark box looks instead and thinks "hmm nice", so the soldiers run around the corner, indy kicks the ark on its side the lid falls off and he winks and goes "ice to zee zou!" then all the soldiers get ark lightning striked etc..... bound to turn up in a Lucas edit?

Ive just thought of a better line

"letz zee vhat ze man upstairz thinkz"
                                LOL. Or the old Duke Nukem line "Let god sort em out!"

Comment

Working...
                                X