No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the hell is Shinobi? He hasn't been around for weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      Where the hell is Shinobi? He hasn't been around for weeks.
      I think he got took out by one of those sword-wielding guys with ponytails whilst trying to free the hostages:

I've not seen anything this weekend, but I managed to bag Eastern Condors for less than a fiver on eBay!

Just Dragons forever and Wheels on Meals and I can retire...

Comment

Man, there's a copy of Wheels on Meals going on eBay at the moment.

It's up to £19 already but seems to be going for around £30 and I'm not forking out that much!

It's a great film and 2-disc package, but that's a crazy price.

Decisions, decisions!

EDIT: Left it. Went for £23, but I've loads of others to watch first and I'm convinced I'll find a copy at a car boot sale!
        Last edited by QualityChimp; 09-03-2010, 10:47.

Comment

My copy of that cost a lot, the HKL Platinum edition.

QC, you need to get into the Buddha Bless You old skool stuff. There's some legendary fights out there!

Comment

Are none of these HKL dvds not coming to bluray soon?

Comment

HKL went tits up, so any releases on blu ray with have to come from a different distributor (if they could get the rights), or a new company under Bey Logan's tutelage. Bad stats, cos the HKL releases are usually top notch.

Comment

Has no uk distrubutor picked up the rights yet then. I guess they will come out via HK Blurays in any case. I'm not really bothered about extras these days so might be a good time to get rid of my HKL seeing as their value has gone up unlike the rest of my dvds, which are pretty much worthless!

Comment

I think you should post a big list of all your dvds and give me first refusal on them I'd guarantee you'd have a few I want!

I think there's a few Bruce Lee releases on BR - Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon - by Fortune Star, who own about 600 films from the Golden Harvest library and other catalogues.

Dragon Dynasty have released 36th Chamber of Shaolin on BR, but I'm sure I've read that it's a poor dvd conversion.

There's also these four: http://www.movieroomreviews.com/kung...lu-ray-reviews
                  Last edited by prinnysquad; 09-03-2010, 21:50.

Comment

Yeah, Megatron! Get listing!

It's a real shame HKL went bust as their DVDs were real examples of how a release should be done.

Remastered and re-formatted for widescreen as standard and then as many bonus features as they can find. Obviously, Bey Logan (the walking kung-fu film encyclopaedia) adds some real meat the the films he commentates on, but they always try to put something extra on their films.

When they get it right, they really did shine.

I think they could be a little bit loose with the term "special edition" from time to time though. For example, the only extras on Eastern Condors DVD that came yesterday was a couple of Sammo interviews and actor biogs.

Their platinum editions of films are normally astonishing though.

Prin, have you followed the links to Amazon for those blu-rays? Although the films are great, people are slating the presentations. Iron Monkey has got dialogue and even fights cut from it. Legend of Drunken Master has similar cuts, stilted and incorrect dub/subs and there's not even a soundtrack! The whole film has no music!

Comment

was watching cinemassacre jackie chan feature...and it mentioned something about drunken wu tang films or something like that.....completely over the top wire work and mad hair but looked fun anyone know more of it ?

Comment

Is this the film you speak of?

Sweet mother-of-pearl, it looks ropey!

Is that a cart shaped like a rat's head? Is that a monster made out of a watermelon? is that a sword the size of a bike?

I bet Prinny has it!

Here's another review.

Here's the watermelon fight:
                        Last edited by QualityChimp; 10-03-2010, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                          was watching cinemassacre jackie chan feature...and it mentioned something about drunken wu tang films or something like that.....completely over the top wire work and mad hair but looked fun anyone know more of it ?
                          I'll watch that when I get home and see if i recognise the films. It's on youtube, yeah?

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Is this the film you speak of?

Sweet mother-of-pearl, it looks ropey!

Is that a cart shaped like a rat's head? Is that a monster made out of a watermelon? is that a sword the size of a bike?

I bet Prinny has it!

Here's another review.
                          Of course I do! The copy I have is called Taoism Drunkard. Haven't watched it all properly yet, but the first 15 minutes are an exercise in insanity. I like!
                          Haven't checked out anything about blu-ray releases, btw. I'm still a Man of DVD and no nothing of such things.

Comment

yeah that looks like it lol...how insane is that

Comment

I think you should both buy it! We could all watch it on the same night, then we can have a chat about it online, like some kung fu film club.

Comment

Taoism Drunkard is an awesome film, plus the mega baddie has the most evil laugh ever heard on film. Loads of ace bits too, like the Lady fighter with the mega long silk scarf that flies all over snapping at the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X