Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    It's actually 1983, and a really cheap indie film from Korea.
    For some reason, I'm even more inclined to see it now. Cheers.

You should have like a monthly column in something, with your array of knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      Forget what sky says. They've said the same with these films for weeks. They've all been new, terrible dubs. I don't know why they persist in saying xxx is subbed when it's not.
      just watched Drunken Master from last nights showing, terrible terrible dubbing.. still watched it though

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
        For some reason, I'm even more inclined to see it now. Cheers.

You should have like a monthly column in something, with your array of knowledge.

To whet your appetite. Love the meditation story in the opening voiceover

I'd say shinobi7000 has a far more comprehensive knowledge of the genre than me, certainly in terms of the classics and more modern stuff. But I'm slowly getting there, in terms of knowledge about low budget stuff and rares! I do try to note a little review of all the things I've seen, but the last four or so I haven't yet!

Originally posted by chojin View Post
        just watched Drunken Master from last nights showing, terrible terrible dubbing.. still watched it though
        I actually think that dub is alright. Probably because there's loads of cussing in it. The straight-up dubs of the other stuff on syfy are too serious and utterly terrible.

The only dubs I enjoy are the funny ones, and the ones played without whiny hysterics. I can't stand dubs with a snivelling sidekick splitting your ears with their 'comedy' tones. I also hate dubs which try to match the sentence with the actor's mouth movements. It often makes for some truly ludicrous ... pauses in ... the middle of sentences.

They're sometimes a necessary evil, though, because many English subtitled films only exist over here in fullscreen format. This usually means the burnt-in subtitles are cut off at either end, and you have to spend half the film trying to guess the words.

Case in point:

Comment

Prinny is being very modest, there's certain areas of the genre which I think he has built up a large amount of knowledge on. I'm kind of amazed at his dedication, and I can picture him swimming in old school stuff like Scrooge McDuck. He's nothing like a Scrooge though lol, I just mean in the amount he's compiled. I was kind of like that with video tapes once.

It was QualityChimp and Prinny's posts in this thread that got me back into these films, I'd suffered from burnout for a couple of years. I've started collecting stuff again due to this thread and it's cost me a bit.

Dubbing-love certain dubs, they're usually done by the same team, but what I hate are the newly done ones HKL and others used instead of buying the rights to the older dubs.
          Last edited by monel; 31-12-2010, 21:52.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
            He's nothing like a Scrooge though lol, I just mean in the amount he's compiled.
            Are you sure?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I'll defo check it out at some point.

You got any better suggestions for similar stuff, Megatron? You've not posted for a while on here, but you've suggested some corkers in the past.

Do you not want to see people getting acrobatically kicked in the face any more?!
              Last 80's gem I stumbled across was a Sammo film called Pantyhose Hero. Don't think it gets mentioned much, but the action is up there with the best of em, and the films pretty funny (in a non-pc HK kind of way ). Think it's quite hard to find though.

Comment

Funny you say that, but I've just tried watching Pantyhose Hero and the sound didn't work so I had to stop it.

Instead, I watched Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain. It's Tsui Hark's 1983 supernatural fantasy starring Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung and Meng Hoi (always looking at Bruce Lee's finger instead of all that heavenly glory...) with action choreography by Corey Yuen.

If you've not seen it, it starts off with a chucklesome sequence with Hung and Biao teaming up in a giant battle, but pretending to fight so that they can get away.

After that, it shifts into supernatural territory and goes crazybonkersinsane! I think it's about a maximum of about 50 seconds before somebody's flying around or swords are being thrown about.

There was obviously a fair few quid thrown at it as the sets, models and effects are pretty impressive for the time. Obviously, you can see the odd wire and edit as you'd expect on a film with people flying about, but there's some impressive wuxia fighting and it's interesting to see where it's going next.

Closest films to it are probably Crouching Tiger and Big Trouble in Little China, which is interesting as John Carpenter has said that Zu was a big influence in this film.

It was the HKL release, so I've got the Bey Logan commentary with Hark to watch and there's an interesting wrap-around story that was filmed for the international release where Yuen Biao is a fencer (sword fighter, not somebody who puts up fences or looks after stolen property) who gets hit by a car and the whole film is based on his dreams whilst in a coma.

It's interesting viewing, but it's pretty crazy...

Comment

Haven't seen Zu in yonks. Last time was probably when C4 showed them in the 90s! It's a lot better than the remake irrc.

Comment

You can pick it up from CEX for about £1.50, if one of the listed stores near you has a copy. Bargain!

Comment

I think I've got it on my shelf, unless I got rid of it when trying to clear out my collection...

Comment

I saw Jackie Chan's City Hunter today for. The first time since I first saw it on VHS in about '93. It's very different to JC's other work because it's essentially a cartoon. From the Street Fighter II battle with Gary Daniels to the Game of Death homage, it rarely takes itself serious and is very silly.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Bey Logan has to say about it as I don't think it quite works.

Great fight with Richard Norton though!

Comment

Can anybody tell me what the following films are like?
                          I noticed these are all on Bluray;

The Karate Kid: 2010 remake
                          Shogun Assassin: Limited Edition
                          Shaolin Soccer
                          Ong Bak 3
                          Fist Of Legend
                          The Sword With No Name

Interested to hear ones thoughts,
                          Cheers
                          Last edited by redstar_dan; 04-01-2011, 12:23.

Comment

Havent seen TSWNN but Fist of Legend is an all time kung fu/karate classic, the rest are not.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                              Havent seen TSWNN but Fist of Legend is an all time kung fu/karate classic, the rest are not.
                              Would you happen to know what are the better martial art films, that are released on bluray, thus far?

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

The above link, is Play.com's 'Martial Arts' catagory for bluray film. I would like to get one or two good-uns.

Comment

I cant search play whilst at work but FOL deserves a place on anyones mantle, martial arts fan or not. The choreography is some of my fave Yuen wo ping stuff, you'll see some stuff in there that convinced the Warchowskis to get him to do the Matrix.

Comment

Working...
                                X