Both Tony Jaa movies for bone-crunching action
    Seven Swords
    Shaolin Soccer
    Rob B Hood
    Flash Point
    South Shaolin and North Shaolin
    Duel of Seven Tigers
    One Armed Boxer 2
    Five Element Ninja (also known as Chinese Super Ninjas)
    Ten Tigers of Shaolin
    Death Duel Of Kung Fu
    Ip Man
    Invisible Target
    Volcano High
    Exiled
    City of Lost Souls
    Fulltime Killer
    Libera Me
    No Blood No Tears
    The Tube
    Public Enemy
    Shiri
    Ten Dead Men
    Broken Path
    Contour
    Fatal Contact
    Sukiyaki Western Django
    Like a Dragon
    Sasori
    Wicked Game
    Legendary Assassin
    Good, Bad and the Weird
    Winner & Sinners
    My Lucky Stars

I do apologise if there are doubles in that list. Its been taken from all over the net lol.

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
      Ok, so here it is... Apologies as this is quite Long

Bruce Lee 'Enter the Dragon'
      Jet Li's "Fist of Legend",
      Jackie Chan's "Legend of Drunken Master",
      Yuen Woo-ping's "Iron Monkey".
      bruce lee fist of fury,
      once upon a time in china with jet li
      crouching tiger hidden dragon
      Zhang Yimou's HERO
      Master of the Flying Guillotine
      The Buddhist Fist
      The Thundering Mantis
      Invincible Armor
      Shaolin Master Killer
      Last Hurrah for Chivalry
      Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms
      Saga "dr Wong"
      Ong Bak
      Tai-Chi master
      Blade of fury
      Duel to the Death
      Claws of Steel
      Casshern
      Volcan High
      The Stormriders
      Legend of ZU
      ZU(Zu - Les guerriers de la montagne magique) , old but funny^^
      City Hunter ,
      Twin Dragons ,
      Armour of god2
      Kung Pow
      Election series
      Fulltime killer
      the mission
      The proper cut of fearless is great
      kung fu hustle
      Warrior King
      Drunken Master 2
      fong sai yuk movies of course!
      Fatal Contact
      Prodigal Son
      first two shaolin temple movies
      Swordsman 2
      Drive
      Police Story 1, 2, and 3
      Once Upon a Time in China trilogy
      Both Tony Jaa movies for bone-crunching action
      Seven Swords
      Shaolin Soccer
      Rob B Hood
      Flash Point
      South Shaolin and North Shaolin
      Duel of Seven Tigers
      One Armed Boxer 2
      Five Element Ninja (also known as Chinese Super Ninjas)
      Ten Tigers of Shaolin
      Death Duel Of Kung Fu
      Ip Man
      Invisible Target
      Volcano High
      Exiled
      City of Lost Souls
      Fulltime Killer
      Libera Me
      No Blood No Tears
      The Tube
      Public Enemy
      Shiri
      Ten Dead Men
      Broken Path
      Contour
      Fatal Contact
      Sukiyaki Western Django
      Like a Dragon
      Sasori
      Wicked Game
      Legendary Assassin
      Good, Bad and the Weird
      Winner & Sinners
      My Lucky Stars

I do apologise if there are doubles in that list. Its been taken from all over the net lol.
      Cool.

- One Armed Boxer 2 is the same film as Master of the Flying Guillotine.
      - Shaolin Master Killer is what the Americans call The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. I think it's a classic of Shaolin legend. It's got a slow, careful build-up as the main character learns his skills though various training rooms.
      - Duel of 7 Tigers is very old school, all shapes and basic story. It's the one I started with after Drunken Master and Snake In The Eagle's Shadow. It has a lot of action in it, not particularly brutal or visceral, but nicely choreographed.
      - Invincible Armour showcases the kicking skills of John Liu and Hwang Jang Lee. It's an emphasis that became popular after Secret Rivals in the mid-70s.
      - The Buddhist Fist and Thundering Mantis are both quite mental, with some odd scenes amongst the nice choreography. Both old school.

You're probably best off going for Lee and Chan stuff first. They're seen as the classics and most popular of the genre. Things like South Shaolin & North Shaolin and Ten Tigers of Shaolin are probably not the best to start with. Outside of the action they could be slow and boring to plough through. But the ones in red are solid old school classics with dodgy acting, iffy stories, grainy film stock, ropey dubbing, ripped-off music soundtracks and often dance-like fighting. Class

Comment

This is probably the only place I can ask this, but can you name this kung fu film?

It was on UK TV several years ago, and I'd somehow persuaded the ex to stay up and watch it - her first kung fu film. She wasn't impressed (promptly vowing never to watch kung fu again) so we never made it beyond 20 minutes, but the relatively high production values, great choreography and really funny subtitled script made me think it one of the best I've seen.

Two guys are I think at a monastery for monks, practising kung fu, and for whatever reason they end up having to fight all their brothers. After running from the monastery they end up in town, and to disguise themselves they cut the hair from a horse's tail and use it to make beards for themselves. As a disguise. It was awesome.

I stopped soon after here. Seemed bloody ace, and I've always meant to track down what it's name was.

Any ideas?

Comment

I unfortunately cannot help you there Sketcz, however thank you very much prinnysquad for what you wrote

Comment

Sketcz-Not sure, was it a 70s film or later? It may be Tai Chi Master, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

Dan-from that list,

old school:

Buddhist Fist

Death Duel Of kung Fu

Prodigal Son

80s:

Police Story 1 & 2

Winners And Sinners, My Lucky Stars, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars

Note-the above three are comedies

90s-

Iron Monkey

Once Upon A Time In China trilogy

Drunken Master 2 aka Legend Of Drunken Master (Don't get the US version with the second title)

Modern-

Flashpoint

I didn't include the ones from your Play list.

Also, I'd say if you were geting into the genre and want to see some of the best, look into the movies by Lau Kar Leung (Shaw Brothers), Sammo Hung and Yuen Woo Ping. If you pick a few by each you will not be disappointed. Check out their filmographies online and then look at some reviews. They are probably the most acclaimed directors as far as fighting action in films goes.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
              Sketcz-Not sure, was it a 70s film or later? It may be Tai Chi Master, but I haven't seen that in a long time.
              Thread delivers!

Checked IMDB, which says it's AKA Twin Warriors, so checked Youtube, and yes, that's the one. Terrible dub here, but it shows the horse hair bit:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

1993 apparently, but it seemed older when I saw it on TV. Also, seems it's on Youtube in its entirety.

Thanks!

Comment

Tai Chi Master has just been released by Dragon Dynasty and has a load of extras like a Bey Logan commentary. Might pick up a copy myself!

I started watching Police Story 2 again last night. My lovely wife not only cooked tea, but made today's sandwiches so I could watch a little longer before we ate!

Anyway, Didn't see all of it, but I did see the ace sequence where Jackie crosses the dual carraigeway then trashes a restaurant whilst beating up the gang hassling his missus. She must make his sarnies too...

A couple of other good ones to add to your list, Dan, are Eastern Condors and Drive.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 05-01-2011, 08:13. Reason: Tai Chi master link

Comment

Eastern Condors is more of an HK take on a Hollywood action movie but has an all star cast and is pretty decent. I still have it on Laserdisc, cost me about £40 to get it back then!
                  Drive is cheesy but the fight scenes are decent. Used to be Five quite a lot too.

I bought Tai Chi Master last year thinking it was a film I didn't have. I started watching it and realised it looked very familiar. I already had Twin Warriors on DVD! Still well worth a watch though as most scenes in the film lead to a fight. And it features the lovely Michelle Yeoh mmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                    Ok, so here it is... Apologies as this is quite Long

Enter the Dragon
                    Fist of Legend
                    Iron Monkey
                    fist of fury,
                    crouching tiger hidden dragon
                    HERO
                    Ong Bak
                    Tai-Chi master
                    City Hunter
                    kung fu hustle
                    Drunken Master 2
                    fong sai yuk
                    Swordsman 2
                    Police Story 1, 2, and 3
                    Once Upon a Time in China trilogy
                    Winner & Sinners
                    My Lucky Stars

You had a few duplicates in there mate.

Anyways, with the ones I've highlighted you cannot go wrong really but again depends on your taste.

Pretty much any early Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao movies kick arse and most of Yuen Woo Ping choreographed movies are ace.

Also I've been digging Donnie Yen a lot recently even though criminally I haven't seen Ip Man yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      Eastern Condors is more of an HK take on a Hollywood action movie but has an all star cast and is pretty decent. I still have it on Laserdisc, cost me about ?40 to get it back then!
                      I recall reading in NEO several years back that they changed the ending for the western release of Eastern Condors... Any truth in that?

Comment

I'm not sure about the ending being different as there's no commentary track on Eastern Condors. I can't see how different it could be. I don't want to spoiler anything, but it's a pretty sound resolution on the HKL version.

Interestingly though, the trailer that I posted shows scenes of Sammo in a prison getting beaten up by the guards which isn't in the version I've seen. There's a few seconds of flashback, but the movie starts at the beginning of the mission.

I agree with you, Finsbury Girl, there's been some great Donnie Yen films of late:
                        Flashpoint, SPL/Kill Zone, Ip Man 1 & 2, Return of Chen Zhen, 14 Blades, Bodyguards & Assassins and Dragon Tiger Gate.

Comment

I keep saying it, but I should really try to get into all this late 80s-onwards stuff.

I feel like the sole flag-flier for cheap old school tat on here! Goddamn you bastards, with your flashy wirework, high-impact full-contact action and fancy dan film quality. Your martial ability is suspect, I **** you bastards.

Comment

You think your Gung-Fu's pretty good, but you're still gonna die today, old man. Ah ha ha ha ha ha. Ah ha ha. Ha ha ha.

Comment

Hey, I still like a lot of old school films! There's just a lot more 80s/90s stuff that I haven't seen.

I wish I had collected all the Vengeance films like you did, I only have a few.

"But still-for that, you're gonna die."

Comment

Hey Prin, I wouldn't mind watching that Sword of Justice. Where's the best place to get hold of a copy?

Kung Fu Cinema's Films to Look Forward to in 2011
                                Last edited by QualityChimp; 05-01-2011, 15:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X