X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, Shinobi.

Thanks, mate!

Comment

No problem, hope you like the film. Good action and Sammo does an insane stunt (think it was him and not a double).

Comment

Thanks to you and Prin, I'm hooked up to some pure stuff from the supplier.

Got a serious backlog to work my way though, but that's awesome!

Comment

LOL that sounds like some hard drug type scenario going on!

I did something stupid and ordered a bunch of films that were out of print, I really shouldn't have done that, I have concluded that I am financially reckless.

Comment

OOP are the best to get! What you get?

Comment

The Deltamac version of Evil Cat- not a serious film but features Lau Kar Leung so I had to get it, just to see a later performance of his. I would have bought the far cheaper Joy Sales version but apparently the disc is flawed.

Ordered a few tv series too, but I don't know if they will ship to me as they are not sure if they have stock.

The tv series made up the most of the cost and I am already regretting it.

Almost purchased the Dragon Dynasty version of Shanghai Express which has the extra scenes but then thought twice, I'm not sure if that one is out of print but the prices I saw were taking the mickey.

Are any of the Made In Hong Kong VHS releases worth anything? Was going to give a few to a mate.

Comment

No idea! You need to transfer them! The Shaolin Invincible Sticks we tranferred off vhs has a longer running time, and longer and different intro, to the vengeance video release.

Comment

Thing is, most of the MIHK releases have come out on dvd now. They were without a doubt the best outfit for a while though, releasing gems, HKL kind of took their spot.

I wish I had the MIHK On The Run though, has a better ending.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    When are we all coming over Megatron?
                    Doors open. You know where I live.

Comment

Nice one, Shinobi...

I'd been toying with getting Millionaire's/Shanghai Express for ages and you've tipped me over!

I believe the HKL and DD releases are both OOP, but I picked up the DD version for just under a tenner, including postage from the US.

I watched the first 5 mins this morning and re-watched with the Bey Logan commentary and already he's throwing tasty info nuggets in. He suspects that one of the characters was written for Jackie Chan, but Sammo denies it.

The disc itself is fine, but the box seems hella cheap, like those "20 films for £4.99!" boxes.

I'll report back when I've seen it.

Where's Red Dan and his feedback from our suggestions?

Have any of you seen this site:

Pretty good!

Comment

QC, you got the DD version for a great price, I was seeing prices of 30/40 quid for the HKl and around 25 for the DD. Could you let me know of a good place to order American versions of films? I usually use Amazon and they are often overpriced for import stuff.

The Dragon Dynasty has the deleted scenes so it's probably the best version to go for. Watch the film, it's a great film with such an amazing cast-so many stars and familiar faces, a real treat. Biao's stunt jumping off the rooftop shows how acrobatic he was. The scene in the train is hilarious-wont spoil it though.

Jackie was supposed to be in the film but did Armour of God 2 I think. Maybe another film (probably Project A 2-I can't be bothered to check the dates), but that's a part of their falling out which happened after Dragons Forever.

I haven't checked that site out for a long time but I will now.
                        Last edited by monel; 28-01-2011, 17:06.

Comment

Seven Grandmasters (1978)

A Joesph Kuo film, which sweats 'indie classic' from every pore. Jack Long plays an old master who has been named Martial Champion by the Emperor. Before he retires, he vows to challenge seven masters, to prove that his title is warranted. He is joined in a long quest to hunt out these masters by his daughter and three students, one of whom is played by Mark Long. Meanwhile, a bumbling chump, played by Lee Yi Min, is encouraged by an old guy to follow Jack Long, and try to become his pupil.

Jack Long deals with various masters using his Pai Mei style. He reveals to his students that his own master gave him a manual detailing the Pai Mei twelve strikes, but a masked assailant managed to steal the pages containing the last three. He eventually accepts Lee Yi Min as a pupil, who has an ulterior motive for learning the style himself.

This film is so unbelievably low budget, it mustn't have cost more than a tenner to make. The settings are all traditional and stock. The story is quite simplistic, and the dialogue one dimensional. About 60% of the film is non-fighting, and very basic in terms of plot, comedy and production values. But the CLASSIC nature of the film is confirmed by the action scenes. It's just pure old skool, as purely old skool as you could hope for, and highly stylised (read: you have to buy into the style of these fights).

The cast are uniformly excellent in their action roles. Jack Long owns, with a confident and complex performance involving a number of styles and weapons. Lee Yi Min is a snivelling oaf, but after his training he becomes highly competent and acrobatic. The choreography is tidy and entertaining, with the fights gradually becoming more complex and quicker as the film progresses. The camerawork is lively and frames the action well. I need to see this in widescreen as some of the scenes were off screen due to the 4:3 copy I watched.

Perhaps the best fight is between Long and Corey Yuen, who cameos as a weapons master. He grabs various weapons from a rack and challenges Long. The scene is frantic and highly skilled, with long cuts and tidy camerawork. Yuen excels in this scene. He was the film's action director, and you can tell that he was pushing the boundaries for an indie film here.

From about 2.20 ...

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            Seven Grandmasters (1978)

A Joesph Kuo film, which sweats 'indie classic' from every pore. Jack Long plays an old master who has been named Martial Champion by the Emperor. Before he retires, he vows to challenge seven masters, to prove that his title is warranted. He is joined in a long quest to hunt out these masters by his daughter and three students, one of whom is played by Mark Long. Meanwhile, a bumbling chump, played by Lee Yi Min, is encouraged by an old guy to follow Jack Long, and try to become his pupil.

Jack Long deals with various masters using his Pai Mei style. He reveals to his students that his own master gave him a manual detailing the Pai Mei twelve strikes, but a masked assailant managed to steal the pages containing the last three. He eventually accepts Lee Yi Min as a pupil, who has an ulterior motive for learning the style himself.

This film is so unbelievably low budget, it mustn't have cost more than a tenner to make. The settings are all traditional and stock. The story is quite simplistic, and the dialogue one dimensional. About 60% of the film is non-fighting, and very basic in terms of plot, comedy and production values. But the CLASSIC nature of the film is confirmed by the action scenes. It's just pure old skool, as purely old skool as you could hope for, and highly stylised (read: you have to buy into the style of these fights).

The cast are uniformly excellent in their action roles. Jack Long owns, with a confident and complex performance involving a number of styles and weapons. Lee Yi Min is a snivelling oaf, but after his training he becomes highly competent and acrobatic. The choreography is tidy and entertaining, with the fights gradually becoming more complex and quicker as the film progresses. The camerawork is lively and frames the action well. I need to see this in widescreen as some of the scenes were off screen due to the 4:3 copy I watched.

Perhaps the best fight is between Long and Corey Yuen, who cameos as a weapons master. He grabs various weapons from a rack and challenges Long. The scene is frantic and highly skilled, with long cuts and tidy camerawork. Yuen excels in this scene. He was the film's action director, and you can tell that he was pushing the boundaries for an indie film here.

From about 2.20 ...
                            I have this on DVD. My release is from about 5 years ago, can't remember what label but it was region 2. Great film!

Comment

Just tidying under my bed and i found a few old Videos if anyone wants them? They are Kung-fu Zombie, The Hot the Cool and the Vicious and Dr Wai. Will need a couple of quid each for P&P lmk guys or they will be in the bin tomorrow.

Comment

I will take them if that's ok!

Comment

Working...
                                X