Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Secret of Shaolin Poles.

Meng Fei plays Fong Sai-Yuk, a folk hero freedom fighter, who has a bounty placed on his head by the local commander Chang Yi. He is befriended by Lau Kar-Wing, who had been previously impersonating him, and who has questionable motives. Doris Lung plays Meng Fei's bird and close ally. The bounty on his head is pursued by Japanese expert Yasuaki Kurata, who plays Dragon Li, and whose brother, Tiger, had been killed by Meng Fei pre-film. Kurata take himself a whore, who Meng Fei takes a fancy to.

Kurata lures Fei to fight him on a collection of booby-trapped poles, and Fei is lucky to escape with his life. He is trained in the art of fighting on poles by crippled boxer Tan Tao Liang, for the final showdown with Kurata and Chang Yi.

This is a rather odd film. Why?

- The film quality I watched was poor. It was vaselined to within a smear of its life, and during action scenes there was an awful lot of image lag and motion drag. I was sober, but felt pissed.
    - The story is straightforward, but held my attention relatively well. Yet despite this, I struggled to understand the double-crossing motives behind Lau Kar Wing's character.
    - The pole sections, which I thought would be the major draw, played second fiddle to the iron fan fighting imo. The camerawork and acrobatics were too close-up and indistinct on the poles, whereas the ground-based scenes were filmed beautifully. I'd expect nothing less from Lau Kar Leung, the director, and can only think that the low budget meant he had to go in for close masking shots on the poles.
    - Flash Legs plays a bloke hobbling around with a stick, yet still unleashes the odd flurry of kicks with both feet, and generally appears to be the hardest mofo in the film. Yes, even harder than Kurata. It left me wanting more from Flash Legs!
    - Kurata plays a right hard bastard, and merciless to boot. In fact, he's the real **** of the piece. Chang Yi is supposed to be the villain, yet is tied down in his actions by a greater sense of logic and his position as an official. Consequently, Kurata's ruthlessness surprised me more than I expected. A memeorable performance from the lad.

I enjoyed this. I watched it sober and it held my attention the whole time. It's a three-act film and reasonably well-acted (for a kung fu) throughout.

One thing that confused me, though, was that in other internet reviews it has the AKA of THE PRODIGAL BOXER 2. FFS, I thought to myself! I went and bought THE PRODIGAL BOXER 2 off Jamal a few months ago. I must have bought the same film twice!
    But, no!
    The SECRET OF SHAOLIN POLES (1977) is AKA THE PRODIGAL BOXER 2
    THE PRODIGAL BOXER 2 I have from Jamal is AKA ENTER THE WHIRLWIND BOXER (1975).

Two different films! Both featuring Meng Fei, Tan Tao Liang and Yasuaki Kurata! Action Directed by Lau Kar Wing! I think that's what threw me. Just glad to see that I have both Prodigal Boxer 2s!

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
      QC, On The Run is one of my favourite films, I agree it's not a kung fu film really, almost a HK Noire.

I think Biao was disappointed that he didn't get more recognition for his performance, it was a great role for him I think.

Some really sad moments in the film, though.

Great film.

I might subscribe to Jade Screen too, if you like it. Can you link me to that Sammo book, and is it any good?
      Yeah, I was really impressed with the film and Biao's performance especially.

I never bought the Sammo Hung book. ?16 for 150 pages seemed a little steep. I must admit that I do keep thinking about it though!

I was thinking that one night that you, Prin and myself (and anybody else who fancies it) should agree on a film and watch it on our XBoxes and we can chat over Live about it.

Fancy it?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

I was thinking that one night that you, Prin and myself (and anybody else who fancies it) should agree on a film and watch it on our XBoxes and we can chat over Live about it.

Fancy it?!
        Yes! But as long as you don't make comments like this:

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

First things first, this isn't a Martial Arts film, despite featuring .... Philip Ko (Eastern Condors).
        Man, he's the main star/ main baddie of so many legendary films, and you pick out a bit part role! It's like saying that xxx film stars Johnny Depp (Nightmare on Elm Street).

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          Yes! But as long as you don't make comments like this:

Man, he's the main star/ main baddie of so many legendary films, and you pick out a bit part role! It's like saying that xxx film stars Johnny Depp (Nightmare on Elm Street).

To be fair Prinny, On The Run has loads of kung fu stars but it's not a kung fu film.

How can we watch a film on Xbox live? Doesn't it have to be one on the marketplace?

Comment

You just all put a disc in your machine at the same time and go into party chat. I did the same with vanpeebles when we watched a film a few months ago. Works well enough!

Comment

That sounds like a pretty damn cool function.

About Secret Of Shaolin Poles, I've had a copy for years but never watched it, I think the action is by the Lau Bros?

edit-about On The Run, the team of baddies-Lo Lieh, Philip Ko and Yuen Wah is quite evil, they give off a sinister vibe.
              Last edited by monel; 19-02-2011, 17:06.

Comment

Yep. Beware of motion drag if you have the Hollywood East print!

Dragon and Tiger Joint Hands (1973)

Nice little basher with really, really gritty settings. Jack Long is a gym teacher in a town run by a snivelling creep. This creep has weasled his way into a job collecting grain and taxes for the ruling Japanese. His boss is the liaison between the imperialists and the province, and a hard mofo to boot. Meanwhile, a patriot has a narrow escape from the noose, and loses his will to fight against the oppressors, despite the fact he was rescued by a rebel from the South. Only a disaster forces him to join forces with the rebel and challenge the mofo and his band of tough lackeys.

It's a classic anti-imperialist/ Chinese nationalist fable really, but there's nothing particularly unsavoury depicted. The fighting is early 70s basher stuff, so there's a lot of crunching punches and kicks. I'm a shapes man first and foremost, but the crispness and consistency of the styles used here build up quite an effective and hypnotic rhythm of their own. It was nothing special, I just found it very watchable. Good performances all round, and despite the language track being French, I didn't notice it at all, because the subs were well done.

This is the second low-budget basher I've seen from the era - the other was The Thunderkick - and I've liked them both. Everything about them says I shouldn't - the more modern settings, the style of fighting, the mostly unknown faces - but I do.

Comment

Just watched Equilibrium which I consider to be primarily a martial arts film.

I was really impressed by some of the coreography, some if it reminded me of escrima, a bit of chi sou, obviously some japanese kenjutsu/jodo/karate.

in all kudos to the american fight coreographer, a cut above most western pap.

I can forgive some of the matrix rip off action set pieces!!

Comment

There was a 'Karate/Kung fu' section in the video store (That's how long back this is)

I used to love kung fu films. I loved the 'action' obviously being young ; I didn't look for any depth, or how it was filmed, just knew when it ended, how I thought if i liked

I think gymkata (or something) I bought that, and 'modern' takes, no retreat no surrender. Loads of the Jackie Chan less comical stuff, and the Legend that was of course.

Is it easy to get back into kung fu films? Could you recommend a title to pick up, please, and I'll see if it gets me. Martial arts, to what some people perform it amazing. I don't use that word lightly either.

Comment

Shinobi got back into them after a sabbatical, so it's possible. I suppose it comes down to what demands you now make of a film.

I only got into them a few years ago. Half the challenge is simply accepting them for what they are. If you're looking for deep stories with memorable, beautifully crafted characters, then more often than not you're looking in the wrong place.

If, on the other hand, you want to watch a film with quality action (looonnggg action scenes), some wonderful settings and costumes, and uncomplicated tone, then you're definitely ready to come back.

Some of the stories and acting in these films is terrible, and often I'm weathering the storm before the next fight. In many cases, and possibily to start with, you need to make your demands of a kung fu film as innocent as they were when you were a kid. Then, as an adult, you start to appreciate other things about them - the camerawork, the choreography, the better scripts and chemistry, the production values, etc. You see things beyond the fights.

Talking of which, there's different styles, and you need to think about your comfort zone.
                      - The more modern kung fu films are based around fast, hard-hitting movements. They often put Hollywood fight scenes to shame, as they're usually better framed and longer, with more daring stunts. These fights are more 'mainstream'.
                      - Then there's old school films. These are usually divided into two main sections: bashers and shapes. Bashers are the prototypes of the more modern stuff - powerful punches and kicks - but often more noticeable that the contacts aren't 'real'. Shapes are an artistic form of posture- and movement-based combat. It often looks ridiculous to newcomers, as it's based around form, stance and hitting key points. QualityChimp has referred to it as 'dance-like'. He's not wrong. I love this style, I love the rhythm and artistry to it, with complicated timing and choreography. But if I show it to the missus she just shakes her head.

Decide what you want to see. If it's the modern stuff to ease yourself back into the genre, then QC and Shinobi can suggest a belter or two. These sometimes have superior scripts, acting, etc, to the old school stuff.
                      If you'd like to tackle old school shapes, and/or weapons-based combat, then I could recommend 10 absolute doozies for you to check out on youtube.

Comment

There's nothing much left to add after prinny's post, .

I did go off kung fu films for a while but I always knew I'd be back. Had to take a break since for years and years I avoided anything made in Hollywood and just collected martial arts films.

When you say you saw the less comic Jackie Chan stuff, does that mean you want to avoid the comedy films completely? A lot of people don't like the comedy but after the late 70s comedy scenes feature in a huge amount of kf films. They put a lot of people off but I don't mind a lot of it and it's worth it to get to the action.

You should maybe look at some older classics-70s stuff, maybe a couple of 80s films with the then-modern day action and then maybe some more modern stuff.

I'd highly recommend Ong Bak or Tom Yum Goong aka Warrior King if you want some fairly recent examples of excellent action. The stories aren't much but the action is like seeing Jackie, Biao or Sammo onscreen for the first time.

Comment

Thank you Prinny, thank you Shinobi..

I definitely wouldn't avoid comedy stuff, I'm okay to enjoy things for what they are and enjoy a film for that.

I'm going to start at this thread again, pick up some movies

I did a bit of youtubing earlier...Think this could be the start of a new romance

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowDancer View Post

I think gymkata (or something) I bought that, and 'modern' takes, no retreat no surrender. Loads of the Jackie Chan less comical stuff, and the Legend that was of course.
                            Lol, just watched a bit of the start of Gymkata the other day.

Comment

Cool. If you want any pointers in the oldschool direction, give us a shout. Shapes guys, mega-kickers, weapons play, Shaws, punch n blockers, the works.

Comment

The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious

It's all old school in this classic meeting of fists and kicks. Wong Tao plays Pai Yu Ching, a cocky muscle for hire, who is employed by the local boss to protect his household. The boss has fallen out with the formidable police chief Tan Tao Liang, who wants to arrest his son for murder. Tan also has to contend with an old man and his daughter, who represent a problem from his past. A twisting tale results in Tommy Lee making an appearance, to sort out the problems challenging his forgery business.

Wong Tao is at his cocky best here, and Flashlegs displays some amazing kicking, The story is detailed but easily understandable, with all characters and motives clearly presented and explained. The setting is classic, the styles great, and the fights of a consistently high quality. Great stuff.

Fury In Shaolin Temple

GODFREY HO ALERT. Although, it's not bad at all really, bar some really random stuff. The story features two blokes who swap infants so that they can teach them their respective styles. Although, presumably, they intended to swap them back at one point to teach them their own style, otherwise why didn't they just keep their own kid and teach him that style? Pfft.

One of the infants witnesses their surrogate father being kidnapped by an evil monk guy. He grows up to be Gordon Liu, who finds his way to Shaolin and works in the kitchens, building his strength and technique. Later, he meets up with his swapped 'brother' and they tackle a couple of bad monk guys.

The story makes little sense despite the interesting premise, but we're here for the fights, yeah? They're decent. Undercranked, but well choreographed, with a variety of styles. One amusing scene has the two brothers taking on silver and bronze (i.e., gold) men, and you can see the paint accumulating on the brothers' hands and shirt sleeves as they battle them. The end fight is nice and long, first set against a burning building, then elsewhere against another monk guy.

One truly bizarre thing about this film... halfway through there's a scene between Phillip Ko and Phillip Cheung. It's a great fight. But it comes out of nowhere. The filming style is totally different, and the characters aren't mentioned before this scene or after this scene. Clearly, Ho has either ripped this from another (or unfinished) film, or filmed it as a space filler. They both break out into drunken styles at one point, which nullifies each other, and they have to revert to normal fighting. Very amusing.

Revenge Is Sweet

Phillip Ko plays a bad ass who owes a man a beating. He hunts down the man who put him behind bars years ago. The ex-cop is ill, but Ko fights him anyway, killing him. It is witnessed by the man's daughter, Liu Siu-Wai. She starts to suffer from sleepwalking, whereby in a trance-like state she appears to exact revenge for what she witnessed, by going into the street and kicking in loads of blokes. Her mother takes her to a temple, where she is locked away for two years to gain the mental strength to cope with what she saw, and learn fighting techniques.

Upon leaving, she discovers that the village is holding a tournament to find the best fighter. The reward is a cash prize, and the chance to fight Phillip Ko, who has been a blight on the people. Meanwhile, a bloke, Su Chen-Ping, is nursing his sick wife. He is a boxing expert, and needs to win the cash from the tourney to pay for treatment. He and the woman must resolve their different motives to deal with their problems.

A 1974 basher, this has a very low budget and gritty setting. The story is straightforward and inoffensive, with likeable characters. The fighting involves close camerawork and a brawling style. It's all low-brow and muted, but a decent way to spend 90 minutes. Phillip Ko is good as usual, and the lass surprisingly adept.
                                Last edited by prinnysquad; 27-02-2011, 20:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X