No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mysterious Footworks of Kung Fu (1978)

Weird. There's no emphasis on foot-based kung fu until the last twenty minutes.

A bumpkin is noticed by a do-gooder, who is on the lookout for recruits to help in his opium-smashing enterprise. The do-gooder (Charles Heung) is dumb, though, and accidently reveals to the local bad uns that his master is the mysterious masked man behind smashing opium shipments. The bad uns hire a killer (Chan Wei Man) to attack the do-gooder. He then tries to take on Heung and his fat Beggar Su friend. When the killer and the bad uns are dealt with, the brains behind the opium trade (Tommy Lee and some other guy) decide to sort out Heung and Fat Beggar once and for all.

Loads of shapes action. We have snake fist, monkey fist, and crab and shrimp style. Tommy Lee is very good, as usual, and Charles Heung does a top job. The training scenes are very nice, and the action 'steady-away'. Mostly nothing special, but enjoyable. Though the last fight is very nice - loads of inventive moves.

Chan Wei Man is just plain odd. He's clearly an excellent screenfighter, but in this film he's wielding an iron pincer on the end of a chain, and frequenting a whore house on the lookout for ladyboys. The fat Beggar is the comic relief, but the tone of the film doesn't really need it tbh. I really enjoyed the setting and the shapes, and there's enough oddness here to raise it above the standard fayre.

Comment

I watched Choy Lee Fut so you don't have to...

A real "nothing" film. Thought it'd be the Hung Gar/Choy Lee Fut version of Ip Man, but it's all over the shop.

Two dudes living in the "England" (clearly not really) decide they want to move to China to learn Choy Lee Fut. So they do.
      An evil corporation decide they want a kung-fu academy so set up a tournament pitting their fighters against the school's best.

90 minutes of training montages and unnecessary dating sequences finishing with the tournament.

This was a dull film, despite the presence of Sammo and Sammy Hung, Yuen Wah, and Ian Powers.

This review just about sums it all up.

Avoid...

Comment

I liked Ip Man a lot when I saw it, bit depressing at times but still a good film. The second one-not so much. Fights were badly choreographed and the film seemed rushed.

I'm planning on watching some killer kung fu over the coming weeks.

Comment

Post a list so we can assess it, and cuss it.

Comment

Man, it's hard enough for me to decide on a trailer to watch, I am governed by mood. A list would stand no chance.

Comment

I still think you should try. At least, narrow it down to a list of killers.

Comment

Actually, I do wonder how on earth you decide what to watch.

I will re-watch some of my favourites, and then probably some Shaw classics I've never seen and some 80s and 90s films.

Not kung fu, but some Chow Yun Fat stuff will feature.

Comment

I select, depending on mood, by:

Actor - sometimes I want to watch a certain star;
                  Style - shapes, swordplay, or punch and block;
                  Setting - hundreds of years ago, or late 19th/early 20th century.
                  Production values - sometimes I'm desperate to watch a lavish Shaw, other times I want to muck in with some low budget tat.

If I'm not in the right frame of mind for a particular aspect of the above, then I'll avoid a film, no matter how good it apparently is. That way I minimise my skankings of it.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                    Actually, I do wonder how on earth you decide what to watch.
                    I usually pick the cheesiest cover or name

Comment

I can confirm the twatishness detailed in that comment.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        I select, depending on mood, by:

Actor - sometimes I want to watch a certain star;
                        Style - shapes, swordplay, or punch and block;
                        Setting - hundreds of years ago, or late 19th/early 20th century.
                        Production values - sometimes I'm desperate to watch a lavish Shaw, other times I want to muck in with some low budget tat.

If I'm not in the right frame of mind for a particular aspect of the above, then I'll avoid a film, no matter how good it apparently is. That way I minimise my skankings of it.

I do my viewing in a very similar way, especially the highlighted part.

I do want to watch Holy Flame of The Martial World and Battle Wizard, two crazy Shaws films I've had for years in one form or another. I want madness, dammit.

edit-just saw the last two posts, lol!

Comment

If you want mad, stupid, zany craziness, watch Drunken Dragon. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Is that aka Taoism Drunkard?

I have a large bunch of madness to fall back on, I just haven't seen them all as they are for special occasions.

Comment

No, different film altogether.

Taosim Drunkard, 1984, is Yuen Clan, starring Yuens!

Drunken Dragon, aka Exciting Dragon, 1985, is Chiu Chung-Hing (who I'm sure I read somewhere was a Yuen Clan disciple), starring Beardy, Ko Fei, Suen Kwok-Ming and Chiang Sheng. It's madness, and very inventive.

There's also Shaolin Drunkard, 1983, by Yuen Woo Ping and featuring many Yuens, but I'm not sure how weird it is.

Comment

Yep, I have that, I lent it to a friend I think. I get all those films mixed up.

There's some nutty kung fu films out there, the Yuen Clan in particular- I wonder what chemicals they were ingesting at the time...

edit again-Miracles Fighters is the first in the Miracles/Shaolin/Taoism trilogy. I haven't seen it for a loooong time.

Comment

Working...
                                X