No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else here seen Redbelt? Really enjoyed it, it's on Sky Movies Premiere this week

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      If it wasn't for me stumbling across Jonathan Ross' Son Of Incredibly Strange Film Show on the 22nd of September in 1989, I'd probably would never have properly had a soft spot for kung-fu films.

My previous experience of on-screen fighting was grainy old kung-fu films or Mr.T taking it in turns to punch the big bad guy of that episode.

All of a sudden, there was Jackie Chan sliding down poles with lights on them, jumping through windows, sledging down mountains pursued by natives and fighting lots of people with moves faster than my eyes were used to.

So I have to say JC, but I've gone on to love the work of most of the obvious big hitters like Sammo Hung, Bruce Lee, Jet Li and Donnie Yen.

Special mention to Mark Dacascos who re-ignited my passion for martial arts cinema when I accidently caught Channel 5's showing of Drive years ago.

Sorry there's no unusual names in my list, but they're the ones that excite me the most!
      There's loads of epics and bigger budget films I haven't seen, with crisp production and a clear print. Consequently, I've barely seen any of Donnie Yen and Jet Li's output. I've seen a few Jackie Chan films, and consider Drunken Master and Snake in Eagle's Shadow outstanding genre pieces. I've got loads of other Chan films still to watch - Dragons Forever, Project A, Snake and Crane, etc...

I've got The Magnificent Butcher, The Victim, and a few other Sammo flicks sitting there too.

At the minute though I'm really enjoying the grainy old flicks! They were my starting point. There's probably some real trash out there, but I haven't seen a film yet that I've disliked. Some are run of the mill, but with a couple of excellent sequences - there's always something of interest. Maybe I'm just lucky!

I can't really articulate why I like the tatty old obscurities so much. The rotten dubbing, the rough prints, the lowbrow stories, the impact noises during fight scenes - all entertain me! It was quite unsettling at first when I sat down to watch 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, because the production was so crisp, the print so clear, it felt uncomfortably big budget at first! What a brilliant film though. The Jet Li and Donnie Yen stuff I'm building up to, it's such a departure from my roots in the genre. It's all so crisp and professional! That probably sounds ridiculous, but suppose it's no different to fans of sci-fi B movies. I'm no doubt missing out on some outstanding films, but I'll defo get round to them!

Stuff like Duel of 7 Tigers are probably way, way down the list compared to the heavyweights, but it's almost like a sub-genre. You've got the Bruce Lee, Jet Li, etc, mega films, then the good grainies (of which some are excellent when budget is considered), then the chop-socky tat at the bottom.

Originally posted by funkydan View Post
      Anyone else here seen Redbelt? Really enjoyed it, it's on Sky Movies Premiere this week
      Not seen that one - you'll have to tell us what it's like!

Comment

I was going to buy Jackie Chan's Gorgeous, but I've read it's more of a romantic comedy with a fight scene shoehorned in.

So I cut a corner and watched just the fight on YouTube!

Comment

Isn't that Bradley James Allan? I first saw this clip on the Jackie Chan top ten fights video on youtube. Quality.

Comment

Yes it is!

I'd not really heard of him, but must have seen him in several "goon #2" roles, but he's not done too bad for himself, judging by his résumé.

He started out as part of the Jackie Chan stunt team and is now stunt and action co-ordinator on things like Rush Hour 3, Hellboy II and the upcoming Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Edgar Wright's new film).

I'm quite tempted by a JC Stunt Team T-shirt! Ha ha ha!

I've just got hold of Yeun Biao and Cynthia Rothrock's Righting Wrongs, which looks a bit like Police Story, but he's a Lawyer who goes vigilante instead!

Comment

Good stuff.

I'm watching The Magnificent tomorrow night - Carter and Cassanova Wong. Hoping for some good kicking action!

The Golden Bell technique - lol

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Good stuff.

I'm watching The Magnificent tomorrow night - Carter and Cassanova Wong. Hoping for some good kicking action!

The Golden Bell technique - lol
                Watch Warriros Two (if you haven't already) for some top kicking from Cassanova wong . Utterly brilliant film from Sammo

Comment

Okey dokey mate. I'll order the region 1 version off amazon - the UK copy is 40 odd quid!!

Wong is an ace kicker, up there with John Liu and not far off Tan Tao Liang and HJL.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

I've just got hold of Yeun Biao and Cynthia Rothrock's Righting Wrongs, which looks a bit like Police Story, but he's a Lawyer who goes vigilante instead!
                    Righting Wrongs is a good film, I'm a big Yuen Biao fan so it was cool seeing him star. There's 2 different versions of the ending, there was a double sided dvd that had both versions on it. The film was known as Above The Law for the western release.

Comment

So guys, what would be your top ten films? Quite different to mine I imagine, but I'd like to know so i can zero in on some quality films I haven't seen, or even heard of.

Comment

So guys, what would be your top ten films? Quite different to mine I imagine, but I'd like to know so i can zero in on some quality films I haven't seen, or even heard of.
                        I don't think you or Van have seen My Vampire , that is an absolute must .

Dreadnaught is a must , to see Yuen Biao at his best , also magnificent butcher is a gem , where you see all the Peking opera lads just do the most insane moves and fights you'll ever see - The Monkey Pole is the best I think I've ever seen ,
                        Yuen fat (think that's his name ) just takes the piss with his fight with Sammo
                        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 19-11-2009, 13:51.

Comment

Dammit, man, I want a top 10!

Is Yuen Biao the mega acrobatic guy who stood in for loads of kung fu experts to pull off certain moves that they couldn't do? I'm sure I've read about him standing in for HJL before if there was a particularly difficult sequence of somersaults or back flips to pull off.

Comment

Is Yuen Biao the mega acrobatic guy who stood in for loads of kung fu experts to pull off certain moves that they couldn't do?
                            He is , though some say Yuen Wah was the better acrobat including Mr Biao

Comment

Dammit, man, I want a top 10!
                              Top 10 is so bloody hard .

But if I had to say it would be

1) Miracles: The Canton Godfather (lady Rose)

2) Snake In Eagles Shadow

3) Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind

4) Magnificent Butcher

5) Project A

6) Young Master

7) Warriors Two

8) Drunken Master II

9) Mr Vampire

10) Pedicab Driver

Comment

TA you're a big Jackie/Sammo/Biao fan it seems.

I find it hard to do a top 10, I haven't seen some of these films for years but i'll list 10 films I really like, not an absolute top 10:

1. Legend Of A Fighter

2.Buddhist Fist

3.Knockabout

4.My Young Auntie

5. Lady Is The Boss (for the final fight)

6. Eastern Condors

7.On The Run (not really a kung fu flick but it has all of the stars)

8.Fist Of Fury

9. Death Duel Of Kung Fu

10. Secret Rivals

I can't recommend Buddhist Fist enough, need to look for my disc actually...

Comment

Working...
                                X