Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Buddhist Fist the Shun-Yee Yuen one?

lol you got a spare dvd? It's a fortune!

Comment

Someone gave me a copy of it years ago, its one of the cheap bootleg company discs I think, but I can't find it anywhere .

Comment

This is really tough and it's subject to change, but here's my top 10:

1. Armour of God
        2. Police Story
        3. Drive
        4. Enter The Dragon
        5. Wheels on Meals
        6. The Transporter
        7. Sha Po Lang
        8. The Matrix
        9. Kiss of the Dragon
        10. Drunken Master II

None of those are set in stone, and because I struggled so much to narrow it down, here's my 11-20, pop-pickers:

11. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
        12. Project A
        13. Encounters of the Spooky Kind
        14. Ong-Bak
        15. Operation Condor
        16. Winners & Sinners
        17. Zu Warriors of the Magic Mountain
        18. Unleashed
        19. Shaolin Soccer
        20. Game of Death (Bruce Lee pagoda scenes from HKL disc, not the actual travesty of a film!)

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
          TA you're a big Jackie/Sammo/Biao fan it seems.
          Yeah I grew up with watching Chan and Sammo , really good days . I also a big fan of Lau Kar-leung, and Yuen woo ping films too , and yes Buddhist Fist is ace (still have the VHS version)

btw prinnysquad, Watch Dragons Lord. The end fight is one of the best ever ,and the stunt that MARS does , still to this day is unbelievable

Comment

I'd go for (in no particular order).

1. Armour of God
            2. Drunken Master
            3. Drunken Master 2
            4. Fist of Legend
            5. Once Upon a Time in China 1+2
            6. Police Story
            7. Project A
            8. Eastern Condors
            9. Pedicab Driver
            10. Operation Condor
            11. Iron Monkey

I used to have hundreds on VHS but slung them years back, shame as loads are still without a DVD release. I need to go round my brothers gaff as he's got a stack of my fave DVD's that he's had for years now.
            Use to love going to the Eastern Heroes shop in London with my mate and then scouring China Town hoping to find something new or some dodgy Cat III fluff.

I'd definitely recommend this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hong-Kong-Ac...8742085&sr=1-2
            It was like a bible to me back in the mid 90's. There's a few other decent books that i'll have to dig out.
            Last edited by Mad Gear; 20-11-2009, 17:29.

Comment

Good lists lads, keep the recommendations coming.

TA, I originally negotiated getting Dragon Lord as part of a big buy-me-do off this prick on another forum, who didn't bother sending it through. I've seen clips of the end fight with Jackie fighting in this warehouse type place, getting flung off a landing over and over again. Looks ace.

The Magnificent

Another good 'un. The story centres around a time in the early 1900s, with a group of revolutionaries running the country (Carter and Casanova Wong). An old boy is keen to see the end of this, and tries to ally with Chen Sing's general. The general is somewhat maverick, and holds him hostage to get his emblem, in order to drum up support against the revolutionaries with himself as leader.

Carter and Casanova Wong persuade the old boy's daughter (a fit Doris Chen) to help them challenge the general.

Decent fights and some nice scenes in this film. Most notable are Casanova battling against a group of women who fight with daggers embedded in huge ears of corn, a battle on a burning boat, some good training sequences, and some great kicking action.

Another entertaining cheap film.

Mad Gear - good find. Bey Logan knows his stuff.

Comment

This thread has me wanting to rewatch a lot of films, I burnt myself out before when I exclusively watched kung fu flicks for 5/6 years.

Does anyone know if the old Eastern Heroes book is available anywhere? It was always hard to get.

Also, where do you guys buy your films from? I've used Ebay in the past but have never used HKFlix, are they any good? Can you recommend any other retailers?

Comment

I tend to use amazon marketplace, although so many of the big films, or better distributors, are out of print and really expensive! Haven't used HKFlix yet, every time I check it there's no stock of what I want, or it's on order. I've used yesasia a couple of times.

I haven't come across the Eastern Heroes book yet, most annoying.

The Videohound Dragon book is alright, plenty of films in it, but lots of omissions because it includes so many genres, such as horror and kaiju.

Never tried them, but I've come across these:

Last edited by prinnysquad; 21-11-2009, 18:44.

Comment

Just watched new Police story and why I left it sealed on the pile for so long is beyond me, what a cracking film, loved it

Comment

Thanks for that list prinny, I found a copy of the Best of Eastern Heroes Magazine, got it for about 30 quid. There's a copy up on ebay as well if you're interested.

It's not THE Eastern Heroes people mentioned to me years ago, I've forgotten the name of it, even.

I've heard of people using DDDHouse, is YesAsia reliable? I've never ordered anything off foreign outfits except for ebay sellers, what's your experience?

Comment

saw enter the dragon last night

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                          Thanks for that list prinny, I found a copy of the Best of Eastern Heroes Magazine, got it for about 30 quid. There's a copy up on ebay as well if you're interested.

It's not THE Eastern Heroes people mentioned to me years ago, I've forgotten the name of it, even.

I've heard of people using DDDHouse, is YesAsia reliable? I've never ordered anything off foreign outfits except for ebay sellers, what's your experience?
                          The stuff I ordered from yesasia wasn't kung fu based, but rather the Asian versions of Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante. I've ordered them again since, for a mate. No problems whatsoever, they came within a week and a half, and the prices very reasonable. I'd use them again with confidence until I had reason to think otherwise.

I'd really recommend browsing the forums at Kung Fu Cinema - they're a goldmine of information about all kinds of martial arts films, with some very knowledgeable people there. The Shaw Bros section is proving invaluable for me at the moment, trying to learn more about the movies. There's also a guy called falkor on there who uploads hundreds of scans of old Asian film magazines, and there's some stunning images knocking around from famous and obscure titles.

I'm also looking around the Asian DVD Guide forum, there's a very handy section on there about online stores and bargains.

eastyy - classic!

Comment

Yeah thanks for that, I was going to recommend that forum to you actually, I used to post on there when it was known as the Kung Fu Fandom forum on Ezboards. Falkor owns one of the bootleg sites.

The forum used to be great but it seems to have a lot less posters nowadays, still I need to start visiting again. I didn't know the Asiand DVD Guide forum was still around will have to google it for a link.

Comment

Is Dragon lord the one with the mad bicycle stunts? Remember seeing that years and years ago.

I'd probably go for:

Drunken Master II
                              Iron Monkey
                              Prodigal Son
                              Drunken Master
                              Spiritual Kung Fu
                              Once Upon a Time in China (1+2)
                              Fist of Fury
                              The Young Master
                              Project A

Comment

I think that's Project A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fl43rq3Zqw

I've got so many of these films you guys are listing, I really should watch them. Hartley - my copy of New Police Story is also shrink wrapped on the shelf :S
                                Last edited by prinnysquad; 22-11-2009, 11:03.

Comment

Working...
                                X