No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also try and get Shaolin Wooden Men and Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin.
    Mega overlooked and underrated JC films , where he really gets to show off his moves and does some of his best fighting

The start of Snake and Crane is just the best , Got to love those sound effects

Comment

Superb. I've got Snake and Crane on the shelf, hkl version I think.

Great openings:

The excellent opening credits of the 1979 KF flick monkey style wing chun wingchun chi qi xi ch'i fullsplit full split roundhouse strikes fists spear ironfis...

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Watched Ong Bak 2 last night. Pretty disappointing tbh. Story was crap, barely any dialogue or characterisation and the whole thing felt rushed and unfinished. Apparently Jaa disappeared for a long period which is a bit of a problem as not only is he the main actor but the director as well.
        There's a good fight at the end where he changes between Kung-fu and Muay-Tai, but otherwise it's a bit of a mess really and Jaa does little to endear or invest me in his future work.
        Last edited by Mad Gear; 23-11-2009, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante
          Dude, you should start a thread on this, I love these too!

I'm a bit gutted about Ong Bak 2. Everybody seems to be let down by it.

I watched So Close, but I was losing interest by the end of it.

I saw the Son of Incredibly Strange Film Show episode on Jackie Chan, and you can too by popping over to YouTube!

See where my interest began in HK action cinema!

I love the bit where Jonathan Ross asks Jackie Chan how much longer do you think you'll be doing your own stunts - 3 or 4 years was his reply!

Love this!
          Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-11-2009, 10:49.

Comment

Just picked up the Fortune Star Boxsets of Project A and Police Story. Gonna watch them all over the weekend to see how they compare with the HKL versions.

Comment

You'll have to give us a report!

Not too sure what's on the itinerary this friday - maybe two films. One maybe Shaw Bros, but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post

1. Legend Of A Fighter
                I just got this in the post today, ?16 off play.com, after reading your list.

Pricey for a man on a budget.

If it's gash, do I have permission to skank you with an iron claw?

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  I just got this in the post today, £16 off play.com, after reading your list.

Pricey for a man on a budget.

If it's gash, do I have permission to skank you with an iron claw?
                  I hope you don't find it gash, there are some outstanding moments in the film. Hope you like it. I particularly like the start and the ending.

Oh yeah I would definitely recommend you get Sammo Hung's classic output I forgot to mention the Victim and I think Team Andromeda listed Magnificent Butcher, I mentioned Knockabout, etc etc.

BTW where did you see Buddhist fist at a really high price? HKFlix say it's out of print but list a reasonable price.

Edit-I still have the VHS release of Legend Of A Fighter so checked Play.com to replace it with the dvd, did you buy it off one of the play marketplace sellers? If so, have you done this before as I've noticed some good stuff on sale by the independent sellers but have never purchased from them, preferring to deal with Play only.
                  Last edited by monel; 26-11-2009, 06:00.

Comment

Buddhist Fist is on amazon for 17 quid used, or 27.40 new, only from marketplace sellers. The £17 ones are cheaper than the other day, I'm sure they were over 20! The marketplace is funny like that - prices fluctuate often, sometimes in the same day.

Legend of a Fighter is less than 14 quid used on amazon marketplace, cheaper than I got it! I'd say 95% of my dvds are bought from the marketplace, and I've rarely had any problems. The only prob I've ever had was when I ordered about 10 dvds from the same place on the same day and they forgot to put one in, this was soon sorted. As long as you read the condition carefully - I never buy anything that isn't described as (at least) 'good' condition - then it's usually just as good as ordering from amazon or play themselves. Often the stuff is far cheaper. A few discs described as 'good' have turned up a bit scruffy, but a quick clean has sorted them out.

Some guy on amazon is selling legend for 13.89 and describing it as 'like new' - that sounds like a good bet!

Comment

The Matrix got its Dojo fight from legend of a fighter.... fo' sur'!

Such a great film. Dragons forever is also an great film its worth it for the end fight alone!

Comment

I love Dragons Forever because Yuen Biao plays an eccentric character whose scenes all crack me up. That and the fact he's with his 'brothers.'

I ordered Legend Of A Fighter and Buddhist Fist, the first to replace my vhs copy and the latter because I can't find my disc anywhere-I think I must've lent it to someone who kept it. It cost quite a bit I'm going to have to limit my spending in future.

I have to recommend Buddhist Fist again-cracker of a film.

Comment

Friday Nighters...

Executioners of Shaolin
                          Shaw Brothers, Lo Leih, 1977. A spiritual forerunner to Fist of the White Lotus, but with a totally different feel and focus. Lots of oddity and humour - one scene is where the hero is married to some bird who will only let him rag her on the wedding night if he can force her legs apart. Tiger and Crane styles dominate, and the white haired villain does a nice line in knacker-retraction, where he can trap his opponent's striking foot up there and dash backwards with him sliding along the floor. This film is significantly different to White Lotus in tone and build up. Lo Leih went on to direct White Lotus three years after this, almost as if he enjoyed the story but wanted to take it in a different direction, and increase the focus on fighting. Enjoyable! I'd recommend watching this before White Lotus.

Demon Strike - Hwang Jang Lee, Jason Pai Piao, and Leung Kar Yang. The copy I watched was in Mandarin, with blue bleeding and bad snow-static every reel (10 mins), and the subtitles were appallingly translated, making no sense at all. Moreover, they were cut off the edges of the screen. Something about a group of thieves stealing gold and being tracked down, and another set of guys hunting down HJL, who gains power from sucking life energy from the blood of naked chicks (poorly blurred out in the key areas - boo!). The story could be good if I can only understand it. The fights though are very lively and interesting, in different locales. The ending is superb, a 15 minute long whupfest with all sorts of action going on. The 10 minute long clip on youtube misses out the first five minutes of carnage. The action was apparently choreographed by Alan Hsu, of Rebellious Reign, and you can tell - fast and visceral. This needs to be rewatched to grasp it, it really does.

Comment

I love Dragons Forever because Yuen Biao plays an eccentric character whose scenes all crack me up. That and the fact he's with his 'brothers.'

I ordered Legend Of A Fighter and Buddhist Fist, the first to replace my vhs copy and the latter because I can't find my disc anywhere-I think I must've lent it to someone who kept it. It cost quite a bit I'm going to have to limit my spending in future.

I have to recommend Buddhist Fist again-cracker of a film.
                            Buddhist Fist is ace , I also owe a big thanks to Press Start , for the look out on Legend of a Fighter - The only trouble is I've got the horrible English Dub version with the pants sound effects too .
                            The Film may be crap , but Jackie Chan and Ping fans should check out Twin Dragons , for some top fights and action , including a brilliant fight at the end .
                            It's worth checking out Mr Nice Guy and Crime Story , films that not many fans seem to go on about , but contain some of the best fights and stunts in any Chan film , I've ever seen

BTW, Yes Dragons Forever is amazing at the end , That stunt when Jackie throws some poor Stunt man on the Gas Container type thing , is awesome

Comment

I quite like the Legend Of A Fighter dub, never noticed the thing about the sound effects.

Executioners Of Shaolin, Fist Of The White Lotus is considered the follow up, although Lo Lieh directed that I think Lau Kar Leung played a huge part in the making of the film.

Never seen Demon Strike.

Big thanks to QualityChimp for the Incredibly Strange Film Show Jackie Chan link, that's what got me into kung fu films at a young age, with Channel 4 also showing Project A and Police Story etc if I remember right. Haven't watched the show on the link yet but definitely will. I had already seen Enter The Dragon at a really young age and bought the Bruce Lee game on the speccy but it was Channel 4 who got me hooked I guess.

Oh yeah, almost forgot-watched Ip Man with a friend yesterday, loved it! I wish there were more films like this being made today, the 2 hours wizzed by. It reminded me a lot of Fist Of Legend for some reason, probably because of the Japanese presence...

Comment

I

Oh yeah, almost forgot-watched Ip Man with a friend yesterday, loved it! I wish there were more films like this being made today, the 2 hours wizzed by. It reminded me a lot of Fist Of Legend for some reason, probably because of the Japanese presence...
                                been meaning to track this down on bluray for ages - am a big fan of Donnie - love his bit in Once Upon a Time in China 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X