No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't seen that one Shinobi. What supermarket did you grab it at?

Good to see you posting. I was going to despatch a one armed swordsman to track you down and bring you back to the temple.

Comment

Hey, I read online that it was being sold at some shops for just a few quid. I did see it in a games shop too, for a fiver. It has an alternate name, Kungfu Killer or something. There's quite a few references to old school legends in the film, and it has a dedication at the end to tons of stars. BTW it wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it more than the last few years of kf films.

Comment

Firstly: SHINOBIIIIIII!
        Great to hear from you!

Secondly: Kung-Fu Jungle in the East, Kung-Fu Killer over here.

Comment

Too modern for me. I'm just hitting mid-80s stuff ;-)

Comment

Hi QC, how ya doing?. Mid-80s stuff is some of my favourite films ever. The above mentioned film has references to a lot of older films and stars. BTW one of my new favourites (not kf) is Samurai Cop. It's a trashy b-movie that seems to have quite a cult following online. I might start watching ninja films again.

Comment

Genuinely pleased to see you back, buddy.

Need to see Kung-Fu Killer pretty soon. Nearly did the other week but the supermarket didn't restock it. Special I.D. was there though.

Have you seen John Wick yet? If not, get on it!

80s Fu for the win for me too.

Oh trailer for a new film, "Gangster", with Yayan Ruhian from The Raid series. Somebody makes the mistake of interrupting his phone call...

Comment

Give Special I.D. a miss, even if the shop pays you to take it.

Comment

Last week I ordered a couple of films recently subbed by Toby Russell.

One is called Three Encounters. It's from 1969. The other is called Flyer and Magic Sword, made in 1971. Both had Lau Kar Leung as action director. Should be interesting forays to explore.

Comment

Never seen them. Lau Kar Leung was the man. I think his choreo shifted up several gears after he started directing his own stuff. I would say once again you should watch Lady is the Boss. It gets mentioned less than his other films due to the comedy (a lot of the fans seem to hate comedy). The finale is amazing, only wish his fight was longer. If you want a good history of the genre from the viewpoint of someone who was there, watch his interview on Red Trousers, the docu / film. His recollections are amazing.

Comment

Duly noted! The guy was a legend.

Comment

I'm going to take credit for invigorating this thread (even though I haven't watched the Raid 2 yet # contrite)

#smug

Comment

If anyone is still to watch the original The Raid, it's on next Saturday on Film 4 as part of their Alpha Male season.

Comment

Great stuff, I saw about an hour of this on Christmas Eve but it was on too late. Just had a look and it only starts at 2320 so too late again - bugger.

Comment

Buy the Raid/Raid 2 double pack man. You know it makes sense. Only a cockwomble wouldn't.

Comment

Have you not got some sort of Tivo, Ampanman?

Prinny is right, though. Purchase of the double-pack would revoke any "cockwomble" status you've acquired.

I was thinking about sequels this week when I nearly saw Monsters: Dark Continent. It's quite rare they'll expand on the universe and play it safe with more of the same. Yeah, there's more elaborate punching, but it feels so much bigger. It's a shame the concluding part is going to be so far away.

Comment

Working...
                                X