No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I've got both Raid's on my Amazon wishlist - just need to push the button.

Don't have a Tivo, VHS or any other telly recording kit unfortunately.

I'll probably give it a go but will end up falling asleep (probably just at the part I got up to last time.

Comment

I was talking about it to my mate on Friday and I can remember seeing it in the cinema. I was impressed that Evans managed to make the audience groan and oof in unison, but also how you could hear a pin drop in some parts, they were so tense. I was holding my breath in the part where Iko is hiding in the walls.

Comment

Hehe, that's the bit I've seen up to.

Comment

That's the best bit of the film, after the axe through the floor escape.
          Last edited by monel; 15-05-2015, 17:34.

Comment

There are loads of great bits, so it's hard to single out a favourite, but I think the corridor fight with the head smashes against the wall, culminating with death by door frame is near the top.

I bought Kung-Fu Killer and The Grandmaster for ?5 a pop from Tesco last night.
            No idea when I'll see them.

PM incoming, Shinobi!

Comment

Kungfu Killer is really quite good, there's a lot of films, kf and western that if they just pushed a bit harder would be classics. I skipped through the action from Vengeance of an Assassin and they were brilliant. When you feel sorry for the stuntmen the action's always good. I know it has some cgi and sadly he passed away, shame the Thais never have any decent writing- but they sparked the genre again with Ong Bak, left a mark.

Comment

The Grandmaster isn't your average Kung-Fu film. It's a Wong Kar Wai effort and does have some good action early doors but he does revert to type later. Expect lots of moody lighting, rain and standoffish wistful glances. Overall I did enjoy it though.

Comment

Incoming posters:

Flute Player of Wrath
                  The 18 Bronzemen
                  Enter the Game of Death
                  Bruce Li The Invincible
                  Dynamo.

Incoming lobby card sets:

Executioners of Shaolin
                  Pursuit of Vengeance
                  Killer Constable
                  The Weird Man
                  The Bloody Escape

Comment

Flute Player of Wrath poster has arrived. It's very nice.

Got more posters in the pipeline too.

Also nabbed a book - Bruce Lee:Four Seas Weekly, a compendium of articles reprinted and edited by Steve Kerridge, who has signed the copy.

Comment

I like the look of the "Life of Action" by Mike Fury.

"Martial Arts and Action cinema fans can now get the inside track on their favourite stars and movies through this fascinating selection of candid interviews with top talent such as Scott Adkins (*Undisputed II & III, The Expendables 2), Donnie Yen (*Ip Man, Special ID), Dolph Lundgren (Rocky IV, The Expendables), Tsui Hark (*Once Upon a Time in China, Detective Dee) and Andy Lau (*Infernal Affairs, House of Flying Daggers). There are also unique insights from the creators of the hugely popular*Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist*series and the action teams behind*John Wick, The Expendables, Warrior, Haywire*and more. Featuring never before seen interviews and exclusive images,*Life of Action*provides an intriguing first-hand account from the best in the business and is a must-read for all fans of high-kicking, high-octane cinema."

Comment

Yeah I saw that advertised on facebook. Quite tempted by that.

I got Chinese Martial Arts Cinema by Stephen Teo recently. That seems good, and references some lesser known entries in wuxia films.

Comment

Wish I had the Sammo Hung book. This is quite good I think : http://www.davidbordwell.net/books/planethongkong.php He has essays on his site. The Teo book's supposed to be quite good too, I think I read some of it once. I got a book full of pictures of Shaolin temple, I would take pics but it's a bit of a headache. Nice quality book, for the imagery.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            The Grandmaster isn't your average Kung-Fu film. It's a Wong Kar Wai effort and does have some good action early doors but he does revert to type later. Expect lots of moody lighting, rain and standoffish wistful glances. Overall I did enjoy it though.
                            After all the other Ip Man movies, I found it rather uninteresting from the get-go.

Comment

Frame needed.

Comment

Man with the Iron Fists 2.
                                The plot was surprisingly sound, and the dialogue wasn't a let down. I can't say anything very positive about the movie, but I can't find any major flaws either. On par with the first, and possibly slightly better with few big names.

Comment

Working...
                                X