Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legend of a fighter is a G film

Comment

Last edited by QualityChimp; 01-10-2015, 10:22.

Comment

innnnnnnn the lannnnnnd of make beeeeleeeeeeeve - Bucks Fizz 1981

Comment

Iron Mike

speaking of Donnie Yen, I just watched Kung Fu Killer, quite enjoyed it.

Comment

Sammo - legend.

Comment

LOL Mike Tyson

Comment

1. I find it confusing that a convicted rapist seems to find work fairly easily.
                2. It made me think. I doubt Rolf Harris will get any work when he gets out.
                3. After thinking about Rolf Harris, I now have the theme tune to "Rolf's Cartoon Club" rattling around my head.

Comment

Donnie Yen is in the new Netflix Crouching Tiger movie. Michelle Yeoh returns also...and doesn't appear to have aged.

Comment

The trailer for the new Crouching Tiger looks terrible. Just an excuse for fight scenes galore.

Comment

Although I normally like more of things I enjoy, I didn't think Crouching Tiger 🐯 needed a sequel.

But then I thought the same about Gandhi...

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        The trailer for the new Crouching Tiger looks terrible. Just an excuse for fight scenes galore.
                        Hope it's not in English......but at least it's got Donnie Yen Music on the trailer was absolute crap

Comment

Sammo Hung turned 64 yesterday. 64!

Here's the teaser for his new film, The Bodyguard, due out in April.
                          (I really want somebody to edit Sammo into the video for "I Will Always Love You"!

Comment

3D Ip Man 3

Saw this last night in 3D at the cinema. More people in there than I expected, although I had to move when the chumps behind me talked throughout the film, even after my deathglare.

Aside from that, the film was awesome!

Obviously, the storytelling is going to be the weak point in a martial arts movie, with various plot strands resolved quite abruptly, but the film manages to inject a lot of heart into it with a nice focus on Ip Man and his relationship with his wife.
                            I doubt there's much historical accuracy in here other than the odd nod to Bruce Lee and a couple of moments in Man's life.

I thought the 3D was fantastic and was obviously thought about, with a nice selection of 3D shots, not only in the action but in dramatic scenes too. Off the top of my head: A shot of Ip Man working the wooden dummy with sunlight silhouetting him and light lens flare in the foreground; as Ip Man drifts apart from his wife, he's placed far away from the camera to show his distancing; a gang thug brooding his revenge in a office with various reflective surfaces; a group photograph shifting from 3D to 2D as the picture is taken and so on.

The fighting is what we're primarily here for though and the film definitely delivers. The action choreography has moved from Sammo Hung to Yuen Woo Ping this time, who has created some really exciting fight scenes. There's a smattering of hand camera, but that just adds to the frenetic action, rather than obscuring what's happening, but most of the action is filmed in both well-framed shots or clever tracking motion as Donnie Yen moves about the set.

A lot has been made of Mike Tyson's appearance and, aside from an interesting fight scene, he doesn't set the screen alight. He's not the most articulate of speakers and every time he tried speaking Cantonese, the cinema audience laughed.

More interesting was Ip Man's interaction with Cheung Tin-chi (Zhang Jin). Each time they meet, they alternate between friends and foes, but always with a mutual respect. It's nice to see his fighting feel more structured but powerful as opposed to Ip Man's looser and more adaptive style.

Again, the 3D was used well in the action scenes with interesting shots like looking down on a fight in a boat being built and the beams of the deck in the foreground with the fight underneath. There's also a neat fight scene in a lift and stairwell and the camera tracking the fighters as they descend with some neat overhead shots. Other little tricks add to the depth of the shots like moving around pillars, poles being thrust at the camera and first-person views of getting punched!

So, the story was sufficient to hold the film together, but will probably be skipped on subsequent home viewings, but the action is definitely worth multiple watches. A nice end to the Ip Man trilogy and the opportunity to watch a martial arts film in the cinema in 3D.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              3D Ip Man 3

Saw this last night in 3D at the cinema. More people in there than I expected, although I had to move when the chumps behind me talked throughout the film, even after my deathglare.

Next time lay down some Sil Lum Tao on those mofos

Comment

Working...
                              X