Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knockabout - watched!

Tremendous. Apart from the fact the Fortune Star copy I was watching had technically awful subtitles, with loads of dialogue untranslated, and the timings horribly, horribly wrong, I thought this film was a triumph. A very simple yet well formed and endearing story, this film had many eye opening sequences. Biao's athleticism is amazing, and he's an excellent kicker too. The main four performers were all brilliant. 5/5.

Comment

Glad you liked it, you'll have to watch more Sammo and Biao now...

The baddie in Knockabout is Lau Kar Wing, Lau Kar Leung's brother. I can never forget the training scenes in Knockabout, for athleticism (sp?) they top Drunken Master although the music etc make the training in DM one of my faves of all time. Some people have claimed that it was Biao standing in for Jackie for some of the harder moments of training in Drunken Master but that has never been proved, I think.

My Legend Of A Fighter disc arrived today, still waiting for Buddhist Fist. This thread is to balme for me spending quite a bit of money in the past few weeks.

I've ordered a few other films and have a pile of movies I've had for ages that still need to be viewed. One of them is Rebellious Reign. I've heard good things about that film, including your recomendation, prinny?

Comment

Love it, it's quite a slow potboiler for the first hour mind, with only sporadic martial arts. There's no humour to speak of, just a tale of political intrigue and double-crossing.

Then the end fight kicks off, quite bloody and highly kinetic! Apparently it was originally written for Bruce Lee. The imdb entry gives it an average rating of 8.2. For a low budget film, it's better than it has any right to be.

Now ignore all of that, switch off any hype or preconceptions, and watch it with a clean slate!

Comment

Ordered Knockabout hkl dvd now it's down in price. Also that earlier Sammo film - is it Iron Fisted Monk?

Comment

Magnificent Butcher - watched!

Another superb Sammo effort. A nicely put together story, again, and perfectly cast. The guy who replaced Simon Yuen as Beggar So did a great job imo. There are some funny moments in this film, and some tragic ones too. Absolutely top notch martial arts all round, how the hell is Sammo so agile? Loved the shapes on show! Also nice to see Yuen Biao as one of the clinic's defenders! Massive respect gathering pace for Sammo as actor and martial artist, and Knockabout proved he's a top director of the genre too.

5/5

Comment

I need to watch Magnificent Butcher asap, haven't seen it for years. The 'guy who replaced Simon Yuen', he was supposedly some top Triad geezer, his son is aslo an actor, the star of Story Of Ricky and Death Games. Death Games is brilliant, the fights are great but it's a hard film to track down-I think it's only had a vcd release although it may have been released on dvd in the last couple of years.

I would suggest you check out Eastern Condors-it's like a Hong Kong Dirty Dozen. Definitely a must watch.

Comment

Yeah I saw the trailer for that on the dvd, looks great.

Jade Dagger Ninja tonight!

"You're the famous Four Kings, are you? Well, you're no four king good!"

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                  Magnificent Butcher

Absolutely top notch martial arts all round, how the hell is Sammo so agile?
                  It's called Master Yu Jim Yuen . Noone better than Sammo when it comes to weapon fighting either , The man is a legend.
                  Yes its a class film , Yuen Mole (Monkey Pole) , and Yuen Fat put in some epic performances (fighting wise) .
                  Christ I so wish I could move like those Guys , I would be do somersaults walking down the street , or when getting the pint in

BTW , Make sure to watch Mr Vampire , one of the best film ever made . Not so much for the fighting , but because its so funny , clever , and well made

Comment

I'll see if I can persuade someone to buy it for me!

Jade Dagger Ninja - a really odd film. Not as oddball as some films I've seen, but very odd. Not a wuxia film, but not far off. Not quite a swordplay film, but very close. It's basically a historically-set fantasy. It has diabolical dubbing, but it's often amusing. The wire work is obvious, and hilarious because of it. I think that your enjoyment of this film would depend on your mood. If you're up for a straight-laced powerhouse of quality, you'd hate it. if you've got a cheeky glint in your eye, and don't mind laughing at some truly dire components, you'd like it. The swordplay is solid, as is the acrobatics. The cast are good despite the lousy dubbing. The ending is simply bizarre!

Comment

Knockabout and Iron Fisted Monk HKL arrived today.

AND

Crippled Avengers (Return of Five Deadly Venoms)
                      Snake Fist of the Buddhist Dragon (a Vengeance dvd I didn't have)
                      The Buddhist Fist

Good times!

Comment

Crippled Avengers is great, have you seen any other Venoms films? That and Masked Avengers I would recommend to anyone who hasn't seen any of their other output.

Had some bad news today and feel a bit low so I'm gonna watch a classic film to cheer me up.

Comment

Oof, so what did you watch then?

I've never seen a Venoms film, this will be the first!

I was quite pleased to get those three dvds for 24 quid.

Snake Fist and the Buddhist Dragon is 17.40 on amazon.
                          Crippled Avengers is 23.78, import only on amazon (down as The Return of the Five Deadly Venoms)
                          The Buddhist Fist is 16.95, import only, although that's a different distributor to the one I've got. I've got the Bonzai/Red Sun one, the same distributor as the Crippled Avengers.

I make that nearly 60 quid before p&p, so I've probably got them for about a third of the rrp. They're in great condition too.

Comment

Opted for a non KF flick, watched A Better Tomorrow. Love that film.

Where did you get the films from? Sounds like a bargain.

I bet you love Buddhist Fist, no doubt about it. Sit back and enjoy that one.

Comment

I got them from a guy on KF cinema forums. I've ordered 4 more!

5 super fighters
                              avenging eagle
                              shaolin intruders
                              two champions of shaolin
                              Last edited by prinnysquad; 05-12-2009, 23:35.

Comment

That's a good bunch of films, Avenging Eagle and 5 Super Fighters being the standout ones for me. Is Avenging Eagle the Celestial/IVL disc or Panmedia/Red Sun?

Comment

Working...
                                X