No announcement yet.

Wall-E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toy Story came way before Shrek (six years earlier). Aladdin did have Robin Williams' genie, but the formula still sticks to the Katzenburg style 'animation musical' of the time (which I also love).

Toy Story was the first feature length US animation that moved away from the characters singing songs to the songs telling the story of their emotions and relying purely on a excellent script to carry the story forward and keep the adults entertained. It set the template that all others have followed. Shrek and others may have contemporised it by using popular songs and more modern cultural references, but they all look to Toy Story for the original inspiration.

Comment

I saw Wall•E yesterday and I now find myself with a new favourite Pixar film. I can't remember the last time I felt so good leaving the cinema. So many good points to the film in both storytelling and technically. The simulated camera effects on earth at the start are probably the last step in making a wholly convincing cgi film.

I won't ramble on about the plot or anything else - just urge everyone to go see this wonderful film.

Comment

I watched this yesterday and the only word I can use is amazing! It demonstrates love and friendship at its purest, better than any live action film I've ever seen.

Comment

A fantastic film. I thought the bit wear EVE

saw how much care Wall-E took of her whilst she was hibernating

was brilliant.

On a technical note, the quality of the animation was astounding.

Comment

Finally got to see this the other day (takes a while to filter down to the oldskool cinema in Skipton). Been a fan of Pixar since forever really. I remember going to see Toy Story with my mum back in 1995, and each film has been better than the last. Until Cars. Yeah. Uninspiring. SO I never bothered with Ratatouille. But Wall-E is easily the best Pixar film to date, and also one of the best films ever made if you ask me.

Would anyone else kill for an expensive deluxe remote control Wall-E?

Also, was no one else reminded slightly of Portal?
            Last edited by noobish hat; 24-07-2008, 23:59.

Comment

There is a cheap remote control Wall-E

Comment

http://youtube.com/watch?v=As7UQtKX00c

Comment

Johnny Five Junior

They actually credited the people who did the theme park stuff in the film credits.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                    There is a cheap remote control Wall-E
                    http://www.mwctoys.com/images/review_ucwalle_2.jpg
                    You can get that one in Tesco for just under ?30. They've got a lot of WALL-E items and are cheaper than The Disney Store and Toys R Us.

Comment

Yep, loved this too.

I went with the misses (who wouldnt stop moaning as I dragged her arse into the cinema "its a kiddy film" she said) and by the time the film had finished we both had that wonderful childish glisten in our eyes... We knew we had watched something special.

The cinema was largely filled with adults with their youngens but it was interesting to note that much of the laughter came from us adults. I think many of the little ones were bored when Wall-E wasnt on screen (one even shouting "where has Wallie gone?!") but i think thats perfectly understandable. There are a lot of subtle movements and gestures that portray emotion and body-language, many of which may have gone unnoticed by the younger audience... But it is because of these that Pixar did an incredible job at bringing these 'robots' to life.

I cant help it... but it makes me think about the ideas of souls, humanity, ghosts in the shell and the relationship of body and mind.... esp when you consider how cute, how adorable and how generally lovable Wall-E is - despite being made out of metal, wires and computer chips. Could he - or, 'it', really feel and experience love? Of course he could. We don't doubt it for a second in this film, and rightly so. He is just as much 'alive' as you and me... and thats quite an achievment.

Anyhoo.... Sorry to go on. Pixar really have created something special with this film... Loved it.
                      Last edited by Adam Stone; 25-07-2008, 20:09.
                      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

saw this with my 10y old today and we both thought it was superb.

for starters it hasn't got stupid animals in it which automatically scores it up a notch or two in my eyes.

it seemed so confident, forget whether its animation or not but to make a kids summer film with no dialogue for 40mins is the brave move or pretty good film makers.

the word 'nice' seems to have become a bit of an insult in recent times but this felt such a nice film. I'll need to watch it again but found the whole thing quite uplifting, but not really sure why.

special mention also for the rabbit/magician short at the start, its the best Pixar short since Bird on a Wire and features the cutest rabbit ever.

Comment

I thought it was a crappy rabbit design to be honest

Comment

how could you not love that rabbit

Comment

its a hard man who can't find this flopsy rabbit cute

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                Yeah, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
                                Lol!

No dude! I was thinking more.. Vectorman?

Comment

Working...
                                X