Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Tarantino: 'Inglorious Bastards' 2009??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
    I'm not sure about this, the trailers are rubbing me the wrong way. Seems a bit too amoral for my liking. Maybe my problem is it isn't coming across entirely ultra silly which kinda puts a focus on the "ultra brutality is ok against the enemy" thing. Perhaps I'm being prudish but I can't deny it's putting me off seeing it.
    Totally with you on this.

Although what's also putting me off seeing it are Kill Bill 1 and 2 and Death Proof. And the first paragraph of Quint's review on AICN which describes a scene which is yoinked straight from another movie. He describes it as being a positive thing but I don't need to see Tarantino create another collage of other movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
      It's worth watching for the opening and 'bar' scene alone.

Did anyone else spot the hilarious cameo?

Mike Myers?

i loved the film.

Comment

Are there no reviews on this film yet then?

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoy View Post

Mike Myers?

i loved the film.
          Yes

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
            Are there no reviews on this film yet then?
            Kermode gave it a mixed review (check out the podcast on bbc.co.uk/fivelive , it's great) although he largely dislikes Tarentino. Said it has some great scenes but it's to up itself and doesn't gel properly as a film.

Comment

I saw this at the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's got its flaws but I think being more oblivious to this particular genre of film it's based on makes the hallmark Tarantino thievery considerably less jarring. Providing your can distance yourself from the realities of the subject matter it's quite hilarious in places, and there's some really likable if completely OTT characters.

Comment

Is it supposed to be a comedy or an actual war film? The trailer rubs me up the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  Kermode gave it a mixed review (check out the podcast on bbc.co.uk/fivelive , it's great) although he largely dislikes Tarantino.
                  A good reason to like Kermode. Tarantino is hyped by people who want to believe he is great - and also dislike true brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Ahoy! View Post
                    A good reason to like Kermode. Tarantino is hyped by people who want to believe he is great - and also dislike true brilliance.
                    nothing like sweeping statements, generalisation and a hint of bollox for good measure

could anybody who likes Tarantino actually possibly just enjoy his films, or does there have to be some big deep meaning behind it which procludes their enjoyment of other decent filmakers ?

just got back from this and really liked it, I like the episodic structure and the far longer than usual scenes, whcih despite you knowing how they will go really ratchet up the tension.

another great turn by Bradd Pitt and the guy who played the 'Jew Hunter' (Christopher Waltz) was brilliant.

really good film, though I did oddly find the most jarring thing to be the Bowie track playing, felt wrong, unlike the mangling of history.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                      nothing like sweeping statements, generalisation and a hint of bollox for good measure

could anybody who likes Tarantino actually possibly just enjoy his films, or does there have to be some big deep meaning behind it which procludes their enjoyment of other decent filmakers ?

just got back from this and really liked it, I like the episodic structure and the far longer than usual scenes, whcih despite you knowing how they will go really ratchet up the tension.

another great turn by Bradd Pitt and the guy who played the 'Jew Hunter' (Christopher Waltz) was brilliant.

really good film, though I did oddly find the most jarring thing to be the Bowie track playing, felt wrong, unlike the mangling of history.
                      Agree with you on the majority of your points and I will add that for a film that was roughly 2.5 hours long it was quite well paced.

Will definitely say it's for people who like their Tarantino films dialogue-heavy (Christopher Waltz stole the show. An unknown quality actor to me until I saw this.)

Comment

Yes, all I will say is that the trailers completely mis-sell the film. They make it look like a war slasher flick, the second trailer that I saw the other day in particular. It contained almost all the action in the film. The film lets you sit back and enjoy lengthy, dramatic and often funny conversations with the odd bit of violence thrown in. It really is excellent, but a different kind of excellent to what I expected to see.

Comment

I saw this on Wednesday and thought it had humorous characters but the film moved too slowly and was way too dialogue heavy, it need more set pieces + more bloody action. There were times where I felt it was a real grind, Kindda wish I watched Moon instead.

Comment

as I said previously i loved the film, agree with the points that the trailer does imply a very different kind of film from what you get.

personally I found the pacing perfect, in particular the first scene in the farm and the one in the bar wrung huge amounts of tension out of the premise, the dialogue was so good and the scenes hung on that, if it had been rubbish then they would have been a real drag.

what I would love to see is a traditionally structured action film done by Tarantino featuring the adventures of the Basterds, that would be brilliant.

I really expect a supporting actor oscar nom to be coming the way of Christopher Waltz, its a brilliant film stealing performance.

Comment

Yeah the Jew Hunter was tremendous. I would also like to see a full on Tarantino action film but would miss his dialogue too much. This is the reason I love Kevin Smith after all. I think he leaves the action to Rodriguez!!

Comment

Went to see this this afternoon and totally loved it. Possibly QT's best film since Jackie Brown. Delivered so much more than the trailer hinted at, much to my surprise, as I expected little more than a(nother) love letter to a genre ... but this has a story and eveything ... along with some genuinely ace characters and dialogue that doesn't make you want to reach for the nearest sick bag. And for along film, the entertainment hardly dipped. Top film.

Comment

Working...
                                X