Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's without doubt the silliest. It's the Live and Let Die of the Indy franchise... And that's not just becuase it features an over the top crazy voodoo guy prancing about in it.

Comment

Temple of Doom is the best in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
        it features an over the top crazy voodoo guy prancing about in it.
        Mola Ram would Kali Ma Shakti de the heart right out of your chest for saying such a thing! You wouldn't even have time to say "Aum Namah Shivaya"!

At least there's no jungle vines, UFOs and nuclear bomb-proof fridges in it...

Next you'll be telling me that Total Recall isn't just in Quaid's imagination!

Comment

......it's not.

I also find bomb proof fridges and UFO's more plausible than crazy voodoo men with supernatural abilities to be honest.
          Last edited by rmoxon; 23-10-2012, 22:21.

Comment

......it's not.

I also find bomb proof fridges and UFO's more plausible than crazy voodoo men with supernatural abilities to be honest.
            What about a chest full of supernatural powers?

Comment

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
              What about a chest full of supernatural powers?
              its about on the same level of plausibility. Raiders has a more grounded to feel to the parts of it that aren't fantastical however, so it makes the supernatural stuff seem less silly as you are more invested in the film, plus its just a less silly film in general with more believable and less over the top characterisations.

Comment

less over the top characterisations.
                If this is what we're including, Last Crusade takes the cake. They're pretty much cartoon characters in that one. Entertaining and I loved it as a kid but as an adult the characterisations don't hold up at all in comparison with Temple Of Doom.

Comment

its about on the same level of plausibility. Raiders has a more grounded to feel to the parts of it that aren't fantastical however, so it makes the supernatural stuff seem less silly as you are more invested in the film, plus its just a less silly film in general with more believable and less over the top characterisations.
                  Really ... ? I don't think so .. All the Indy films are fantastical and silly, thats what makes them Indy films. None are any more or lessbelieivable that the next. In fact out of all the elements of the Indy films the aliens of Crystal Skull are probably the most grounded and belivable (apart from the the telepathy bollocks).

Besides whats wrong with over the top characterisations? In the end Temple of Doom is a different style of film to the rest, which is why I personally appreicate it more.

Comment

All four are great and there are tonal differences between them which make it easy to have a favourite. Personally, and I do love it, Temple is my least favourite. Last Crusade for me strikes the perfect balance between the grounded tone of Raiders when needed and the fun of Temple whilst also having some emotional heart to it. Skulls isn't as good an end to the series as Crusade was but bar a couple of bits is perfectly fine in its own right.

Aside from the Indy chat, rewatched Rec which was still fun. Finally saw Rec 2... What a way to p*** on the original in terms of ruining it. Utterly moronic sequel that unthreads everything that made the first work. Almost offensive that it exists.

Comment

I felt the total opposite about Rec 2. For me, it ran with an idea brought in right at the very end of Rec 1 and was able to do something really interesting with it. It completely switched horror film category while not actually changing the type of film it was. I found as good as the first in many places.

Comment

Rec 3 isn't much better but better than 2

REC 3 lead actress is just gorgeous though - even as a zombie I will tap that

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                          REC 3 lead actress is just gorgeous though - even as a zombie I will tap that
                          That's wrong on so many levels, but I have to agree with you!

Comment

Watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service last night. Wasn't expecting much as I was sure I'd seen it when I was younger and remembered it being rather crap. It soon came to light that neither I or my girlfriend had actually watched it before and that actually, it's a very strong film!

Did take a while to get used to Lazenby and tbh, some of it did not feel like a James Bond film (whats with the double speed car scenes and fight scenes? Some of the fight scene sound effects actually had me in hysterics.) but we both really enjoyed it and although I would argue the ending was the least Bond-like thing throughout the whole film it was very effective.

Comment

I think Plinkett explained it best when he said that Crystal Skull was supposed to be like a 50's B-movie, what with the plot and the setting etc. The problem is they just went ahead and made the exact same type of film they did with the previous ones, only with ****ing aliens and spaceships in it, which is one of the reasons it didn't work.

Comment

Just seen The Amazing Spiderman, not bad but not great either. I'm glad I didnt go cinema to watch it. Some of the 3d angles were forced and annoying as hell. The spidey v Lizard fights were decent enough. Some cheesy elements at the end didnt fit with the moody emo vibe that went before it, bit of a mess of a film in the end. Sequel could have potential as they have the extra exposition out of the way now to build on but I fear it'll be another film that raises more questions then answers which annoys me. I liked Garfield in The Social Network and thought he'd make a good Peter Parker when he was cast but I didnt enjoy his performance. Too gawky and awkward for me, stuck between shy nerd and angsty teenager with no believable transition. Also Spideys power levels and limits seemed all over the place, one minute he punches a guy full force 2 times in the face. The next he's swinging cars off a bridge. Surely he'd kill anyone he'd fight unless its a supervillan?

Comment

Working...
                                X