No announcement yet.

Friday the 13th (remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Friday the 13th fiend I'll go and see this. I'm not expecting much but it CAN'T be as bad as Rob Zombie's shafting of Halloween (i hope...)

Comment

Saw a clip on Film2009 which actually looked pretty good...

Comment

All films look good in the trailers Spags

Keen to see this and My Bloody Valentine 3D though, has anyone seen
        MBV 3D ? don't think there is a thread on it here.

Comment

Prayformojo, jus wait till you see Jason in JasonX! he gets a very big upgrade lol...........

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
            Prayformojo, jus wait till you see Jason in JasonX! he gets a very big upgrade lol...........

Oh yes, Jason in space. Completely ridiculous but great tongue firmly in cheek fun, I thought. Contains my favourite death scene from the series, too. A homage to Part 7 The New Blood but even more OTT.

Comment

I went to see this and, although I don't really hold the series as precious, I thought it ruined what made the others Friday 13th films.

The main criticism is that they made Jason calculating. He is not a brute that gets something to kill someone - he plans his kills. For example, he ties a woman's sleeping bad in a tree above a camp fire so that she'll get cooked alive. No, no, no Jason - you are meant to get something (preferably someone else also in a sleeping bag) and beat her with it til she stops moving.

Also, why do you live in a tunnel? Whyyyyy?

They also made it feel more like a Chainsaw Massacre film with the music and 'look' of the film than a Jason film. Shame really - it should have been brilliant. If only those deaths were all just...better.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                I went to see this and, although I don't really hold the series as precious, I thought it ruined what made the others Friday 13th films.

The main criticism is that they made Jason calculating. He is not a brute that gets something to kill someone - he plans his kills. For example, he ties a woman's sleeping bad in a tree above a camp fire so that she'll get cooked alive. No, no, no Jason - you are meant to get something (preferably someone else also in a sleeping bag) and beat her with it til she stops moving.

Also, why do you live in a tunnel? Whyyyyy?

They also made it feel more like a Chainsaw Massacre film with the music and 'look' of the film than a Jason film. Shame really - it should have been brilliant. If only those deaths were all just...better.

Jason (or his mom) has always liked to hide under a bed and stab folk... whats more calculating than that?

Think you were reading too much into it to be honest.

The clever killings were the best thing about this... and it was pretty good to be honest.

Comment

It's not great but I had a good time with it. It pretty much ticked all the boxes I required.

1./ A return to Crystal Lake. Check.
                  2./ A more human-like Jason. Similar to the Jason of Part 2. Check.
                  3./ Stupid young people doing stupid things, like waving flashlights in the woods. Check.
                  4./ Jason killing stupid young people in LOLsome ways. Check.
                  5./ Gratuitous boob shots. Check.

The ingredients that usually make for a good film, like plot and characters, aren't really essential to a Jason flick. If you go with the view that Jason is the hero, then there is a certain amount of fun to be had.

Comment

My point was that it wasn't really Jason. If it was a new character not associated with Friday 13th it would have been the ultimate suckage, and I like my cheesy slasher films.

My view is pretty much summed up nicely in the following extract from here: http://www.quickstopentertainment.co...bloody-cheese/

Jason looked physically bad ass (still not as iconically perfect as Ken Kirzinger or Kane Hodder); Derek Mears gave a good performance with his physical presence.
                    Mr. Vorhees doesn’t set traps, he doesn’t keep hostages, he doesn’t practice archery and he most certainly doesn’t have an elaborate headquarters of death.

---

All that stuff was stupid, as I said above. There's nothing wrong with hit [person] with [thing or person] until dead. Jason should be an olympic archer by killing Dick Casablanca from Veronica Mars with an arrow whilst he's driving a speedboat in the middle of the lake. So lame. Should have waited til he got off the boat and chopped his head off.

Comment

I never really understood the fuss about the Friday 13th films. The first and second were probably the best but even so, i thought they were boring years ago when i first saw them. Don't even mention the last comedy efforts

I agree with the above comments tho about Jason. He is supposed to be a mindless killler who just butchers for the sake of it, not a calculating murderer thinking of elaborate ways to kill people. I thought that was the whole point of him being a psychotic killer with no motives. The burning was a better stalker/slasher movie.

I have absolutely no desire to see the new version unless a mate gives it me and i have nothing else to watch. Films like this are far too long in the tooth and cliched in this day and age.

Horrors need a new direction again, as the same old ****e just keeps getting regurgitated.

Other than REC or Quarantine, the last decent horror in recentish memory was the Dawn of the Dead remake, which was admittedly, very good, and far and away the best of the Zombie films.

Comment

But slasher films are FUN!!! As Mojo says, Jason is the hero. Freddy, a child molester, is a hero. Michael Myers, a family killer, is the hero. If they are done well (which shouldn't be hard considering the simple, simple formula) a cliched slasher film could be so great.

When all's said and done though, I reckon everyone involved will be pretty made up with the box office takings... $45m opening weekend!!! Well done all!

Comment

My point was that it wasn't really Jason. If it was a new character not associated with Friday 13th it would have been the ultimate suckage, and I like my cheesy slasher films.

My view is pretty much summed up nicely in the following extract from here: http://www.quickstopentertainment.co...bloody-cheese/

Jason looked physically bad ass (still not as iconically perfect as Ken Kirzinger or Kane Hodder); Derek Mears gave a good performance with his physical presence.
                          Mr. Vorhees doesn’t set traps, he doesn’t keep hostages, he doesn’t practice archery and he most certainly doesn’t have an elaborate headquarters of death.

---

All that stuff was stupid, as I said above. There's nothing wrong with hit [person] with [thing or person] until dead. Jason should be an olympic archer by killing Dick Casablanca from Veronica Mars with an arrow whilst he's driving a speedboat in the middle of the lake. So lame. Should have waited til he got off the boat and chopped his head off.
                          Im not sure why jason knowing how to use a bow and Arrow is bad, I actualy thoughyt that but was funny.

This was always suppose to be a reboot, not a remake anyway, so i dont see the problem if he takes hostages now or whatever (though i thing he only refused to kill her becuase she looked like his mom).

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                            Im not sure why jason knowing how to use a bow and Arrow is bad, I actualy thoughyt that but was funny.
                            I can't say Jason's prowess with the bow bothered me, either. Consistency has never been the series' strong point. Especially when you compare the Jason in the remake to some of the other incarnations in the series - zombie Jason, slug Jason, space Jason, etc. And people are complaining about this Jason's 'elaborate headquaters of death'?!

This Jason just has a bit of animal cunning about him. He's been living in the woods for god knows how long. In that time, it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine him becoming adept at setting traps and using a bow for hunting animals. And he isn't that intelligent in the remake.

I mean, he thinks one of the bimbettes is the reincarnation of his long dead mother, and she looks nothing like her!

When all's said and done though, I reckon everyone involved will be pretty made up with the box office takings... $45m opening weekend!!! Well done all!
                            The popularity of this franchise never ceases to amaze me. A sequel is inevitable. Only thing is they will probably call it Friday the 13th Part 2, which not only has the potential to be confusing as hell, but probably means it will be a long time before we get another chance to see Friday the 13th Part 13. If ever! And it was just one more film away. We were that close to such a momentous event. I was so curious to see what would happen on that great day. Whether it would start raining frogs, or if the universe would just turn in on itself and implode. Bloody remakes!

Comment

True, I don't know why I was complaining. One of my favorites is actually Jason X. I guess I just wanted it to go back to its really basic premise. Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by PrayforMojo View Post

I mean, he thinks one of the bimbettes is the reincarnation of his long dead mother, and she looks nothing like her!

intelligence has never been a factor since he is meant to have the intellect of teh child that drowned at camp crystal lake

all the kills in previous movies show he has the mind of a child and just kills at wim with no remorse

but even in teh original (i havent saw the remake yet) he waited under a bed for Kevin Bacon to finish sechsey time before ramming an arrow through his throat

so intelligence - no, cunning and desire to kill - certainly

I'm a fan of teh Bay remakes - they have all been pretty watchable

he turned the awfullness thats Chainsaw massacre into something watchable

Comment

Working...
                                X