Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved the bit about Kick Ass (to paraphrase):

The film Kick Ass was popular because it featured a 12 year old girl saying ****, which is the C-word. I live in Hackney and I can see that any day.

Agree with JazzFunk that the chats with Ianucci are miles better than any sketches. Still wish they hadn't done the one at the end of this week's episode.

I also don't like when Lee takes you out of the routine by saying things like, "Well, it doesn't matter because it's not real/didn't happen anyway." I think saying that makes you wonder why you would bother listening if that is the case. I know he likes to break the rapport/conventions of a normal stand-up routine but that one takes it a bit far IMO.

Comment

I think it fits in well with the whole thing he is trying to convey with him not being very good at standup and only doing what has been asked of him.

Comment

Regarding this week's sketch, I'd guess he's forced to put those in. First half wasn't that good this week bur the estate agent phone call was great.

Comment

A quick heads up, one of the Comedy Central channels (CCX I believe) are showing his If You Prefer A Milder Comedian Please Ask For One show on Thursday at 10.20pm.

Comment

2nd episode was great again, i really don't mind the sketches, its only the last 3 mins anyway.

I'm terrible for watching the audience in this. I'm laughing, most of the audience are laughing but the guys on the balcony and some people at the sides were just stoney faced all the time, makes me wonder why they are even there.

Comment

The

horse with the slit throat made me cringe. I was eating lunch at the time!

Bring some coke.

Comment

Loved the charity episode last night

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
                  2nd episode was great again, i really don't mind the sketches, its only the last 3 mins anyway.

I'm terrible for watching the audience in this. I'm laughing, most of the audience are laughing but the guys on the balcony and some people at the sides were just stoney faced all the time, makes me wonder why they are even there.
                  I went to the taping of these shows (you can see the back of my head very prominently in episode 2) and there were quite a lot of people there who didn't seem to get it and I was wondering why. When I went to get a drink at the break it was clear that a lot of the people there were media bell-ends who had just come because it was free; no different to the 'prawn sandwich eaters' at football games. One of my friends who works at the BBC told me that he had to re-tape some of the bits with a different audience, which is why the front row seems to change in the middle of the same show.
                  Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Soon CGI technology will be good enough to fake laughing animations when necessary. Problem solved

Comment

The great thing is that Stewart doesn't seem to really care whether or not people find it funny. If you go to his website it's full of quotes from people telling him how rubbish he is

Comment

I watched some the prog last night. If he was a total unknown he wouldn't get a sniff of TV, nevermind a whole show.

While being very clever and it's all part of his act being not funny is , well, not funny.

Crap show imo and not worthy of eating up airtime.

Comment

I was going to say that he must be a talented comedian otherwise he wouldn't still be on TV after 20 odd years but then I remembered Lenny Henry.

Comment

Some of Lee's stuff can be hit or miss; if you want to see him at his best, Stand Up Comedian is where to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                              I watched some the prog last night. If he was a total unknown he wouldn't get a sniff of TV, nevermind a whole show.

While being very clever and it's all part of his act being not funny is , well, not funny.

Crap show imo and not worthy of eating up airtime.
                              But he's not a total unknown, and he "got a sniff of tv" because of his act, and because he is hugely respected in the comedy world.

Personally I think he is one of the best British comedians ever to have lived.

A lot of his shows are one long gag, and if you tune out before the end, you utterly miss the point imho.

The bit about the horse, and the coke...well, we had to pause it because we couldn't hear him, we were dying on the sofa, laughing hysterically.

"We've got a horse...we haven't got a horse...it died"
                              Last edited by Jebus; 19-05-2011, 14:14.

Comment

Yeah, he's not for everyone. One of my mates has, on the face of it, the same sense of humor as I do. We bounce gags off each other all night when we're having a drink but for him Stewart lee is just too slow. He's more of a Jimmy Carr man.

As any Stewart Lee fan knows though, he'll never tell the funniest joke in the world. Tom O'Connor has already got that one sewn up.

Comment

Working...
                                X