District 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisField View Post
    Loving your subliminal messages. Neck and arms ok now? Finger?
    hehe, you bugger. I put that in the wrong box, that was a private message :-p

And by the way... they are much better thank you... though today was a bloody painful day, but fun nonetheless... :-)
    Last edited by Adam Stone; 08-09-2009, 05:06.
    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

i really liked this film, i cant really echo the praise again, however i will say that the switch between film camera, cctv camera or in-film documentary style camera, became quite distracting after a while, for me at least.

also the alien voices made my eyes water, like a throaty teacher who you just have to listen to but cant make it stop hehe

*edit* it was also awesome, epic, sad, heart warming and kind
      *edit* great ambient soundtrack too in parts
      *edit* YOU WANT SOME! gimme the fookin weapons mon!
      *edit* manly tears shed
      Last edited by Largo; 08-09-2009, 02:11.

Comment

Just back from seeing this. Totally awesome, probably made even better by the contrast between it and the turgid crap previewed before the film. Did what a couple of others here did and watched the trailer then media blackout until seeing it today. Best sci-fi film in ages, loved the gritty, real feel it had.

Loved some of the alien weapons, especially the lightning gun. You can't overuse an effect like that . The alien tech was cool at the end too and nicely hinted at what they could do but didn't show it all.

Go to the fookin' cinema and see it!
        Last edited by NW2013; 08-09-2009, 14:54.

Comment

Yep same here, great film all round. What I thought was special about it was how it was truly original and, yet, at the same time reminded me of my favourite sci-fis. Not many films can walk that fine line without being too weird or just plain copying.

Comment

Caught this last night. Great film. Probably the most original sci-fi in years. And so good to see a film NOT set in New York or Los Angeles.

The mockumetary style works well and gives a pretty thorough insite into Vickers character in a quick, condensed fashion.

Pretty obviously setup for a follow up of some description though. Can't wait to see the Christopher Johnstone action figure!!

The lead plays the part really well and its so impressive for his acting debut.

Highly recommended.

Comment

I do wonder if there will be a sequel in 3 years. Heres hoping! Did love the ending to this though, so i would be quite happy if this is the only one.

Comment

Saw it last night without knowing anything about it. Very good indeed. Got a bit Robot Jox towards the end but but it's tough to fault something that felt so fresh, despite the many influences. Speaking of which, I'm glad they nicked the industrial fog horn from War of the Worlds ... best sound effect ever that

Comment

Sharlto Copley (Wikus) played a sniper in Blomkamp's short film Alive in Joburg, which inspired District 9.

Comment

Just got back from seeing this... absolutely bloody fantastic.

I felt almost exhausted afterward, on the edge of your seat intensity at its utmost finest. It's quite commendable how honest it is... and it's worrying how we so willingly root for the aliens - but when you see humans act like that - and we know for a fact that humanity is just as heartless, brutal, unjust, immoral and selfish as portrayed in this film... it's no wonder we truly do care for the aliens and their outcome...

The special effects were some of the best and most convincing I've seen for a long while, right up there with the initial wow-factor as Jurassic Park in my opinion. Simply sublime and puts the likes of Transformers and the like to shame.

Without a doubt my favourite film of this year, a must see.
                    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

aye, they do a good job of portraying humans etc, wikus is an everyman etc, hes just a middle of the road guy, he loves his wife, works hard and gets on well with his work buddies, but hes also selfish and quick to anger. But he has a moral compass which in the end he follows and does the right thing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Got a bit Robot Jox towards the end
                        Nowhere near that naff. Crash 'n' burn baby!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                          Nowhere near that naff. Crash 'n' burn baby!
                          Damn that takes me back

Loved District 9... could go on and on to echo much of whats been said, no need tbh. Just a fantasic film.

Comment

I think one of the problems I have with the film are more down to the trailer and my expectations going in. I took the whole "there are lots of secrets in District 9" line way too seriously and avoided every spoiler I possibly could (even turning off gaming podcasts when it was being mentioned). I guess I wanted mystery and answers instead of some very long chase scenes and an obscene amount of shakey-cam.

What I loved (to try and be positive in here) was the

way the aliens said they were going to do one thing and then blatantly didn't follow through. The scene when the main alien tells his mate to go answer the door and keep them cool so they wouldn't find the item they had spent 20 years collecting, he agrees and then suddenly give it "No" and slams the door in the officials faces. Like when they are breaking into the lab and the main alien agrees to wait for his signal, but then follows him regardless. Very funny and great character behaviour.

What are peoples thoughts on the reasons for

their arrival and inaction

?

Comment

I think that may be one of the reasons I didnt like the aliens - they were humanised and i would have liked them to be, well, alien.

Comment

I thought that they were made to be more like animals than human tbh - like trying to tell a cat to sit.

Comment

Working...
                                X