Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Songs that touch you. (for whatever reason)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, a big one is Kermit's 'It's not easy being green'. Probably wouldn't have as much impact if I didn't know it was played at Henson's funeral.

Comment

Who wouldn't be touched by this song?

Comment

Nada Surf are awesome

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
          Nada Surf are awesome

Indeed. "Sleep" rocks my bells.

Comment

I could probably pick loads but I'll spare you all from that.

I was going to post a video of 'Everybody Hurts, by R.E.M. as that's one that deserves to be here for purely personal reasons. Unfortunately, YouTube remove the videos so you'll have to find it for yourself.

Again, for personal reasons I have to include the next one. I just find it so moving but it's surprisingly difficult to find somebody who can play it really well.
            ERIK SATIE - 'GYMNOPEDIE NO. 1

The next one has no personal connection like the other two do. The voice is a killer for me, the fragility is absolutely heartbreaking. For me it really is the sound of a man who's falling apart as we listen.
            SYD BARRETT - 'DOMINOES'

There is one song which doesn't get played by anybody in my family now, it's John Lennon singing 'Imagine'.

It goes back a few years now to when my brother was murdered and people were eventually thinking of music for the funeral, I remember there was loads of suggestions & I thought of this one.

It was agreed on instantly by everybody without any discussion and from the date of the funeral that song died for everybody! It's really difficult to explain but it just sort of doesn't exist any more.

Just thinking about in now makes me sad & angry and that's nothing compared to the reaction it has got from my Mum when it's been heard on TV or something!
            Last edited by JP; 13-05-2009, 19:40. Reason: changed to video that allowed embeding...

Comment

Yes I like Gymnopedie. I like the version of it that (was it Debussy?) put to orchestra, too.

Comment

Yeah, he did. I liked what Debussy did with it but I just love the sound of the solo piano in the originals.

OK, I'm adding another now!
                THE VELVET UNDERGROUND - 'I'LL BE YOUR MIRROR'

I've always been a big fan of the band and I've always found this to be moving...

Comment

Have been trying to find a video for this for ages, and since these stupid rights things came in they are all off youtube.
                  So I made my own :

Love this song, esp this version doubt it will be up long b4 they take it down tho
                  Last edited by dvdmike; 14-05-2009, 09:50.

Comment

This one ALWAYS gets me:

Just beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                      the most achingly beautiful song I know with haunting lyrics is Boy With The Bubblegun by Tom McRae, its a lovely acoustic number on the album and live becomes a slow burning 9 minute epic building to a snarling venomous climax

one of my fave songs ever, why this guy has never made it big is beyond me as a lot of his other stuff could easily go here.

its not on youtube but I'd also add Blue Valentines by Tom Waites and You do Smething To Me by Paul Weller
                      The Boy With The Bubblegun is such a beautiful tune. Tom McRae's 'Lord How Long' is another that tugs at my heart.

I adore beautiful music; music that reaches deep inside and makes sense of the emotions that we can rarely put into words - emotions that are true and personal to each of us and spitting them out somehow taints them. Music keeps those feelings true, they keep them pure... and it’s a way of sharing what would otherwise remain unspoken...

Anyhoo... Here are a couple of my favourites. I have far too many to type out in one sitting, but these are on top of my list:

Porcupine Tree- Feel so low

Elbow - The Loneliness Of A Tower Crane Driver

Band of Horses - Funeral

Nine Inch Nails - Something I can Never Have

Elliot Smith - Twilight

Shigeru Umebayashi - Until the End
                      ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Lol Stonester is the emotional epicenter of NTSC-UK, bless him.

Comment

Any Status Quo. Best m8 was mad on em and he lost his fight with cancer week we both turned 18 so never been able to listen to em ever since.

Comment

Mark Hollis' self-titled solo album is a bit special. It's just a really simple record. It mainly consists of piano, single notes that go on forever, and Mark's haunting vocals. There is really nothing else like it. Most mainstream music is trivial and trite in comparison. Mark retired from the music business not long after its release. Whether it was because of poor sales or lack of interest, I have absolutely no idea. I'd like to think after baring his soul to such a degree, there was nothing else left to say.

Also got a soft spot for some classical, bluegrass and gospel stuff, which is a bit weird because I haven't got a religious bone in my body. In fact, my favourite piece of music of all time is Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei. It's been well overused, often popping up in films and adverts, but it still gives me chills every time I hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                              Lol Stonester is the emotional epicenter of NTSC-UK, bless him.
                              It be true seany mate, i'm a big girl at heart :-)

Hope you're well dude.
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

See Music Videos http://www.bvmtv.com/ that you CAN'T See on You Tube! even some X RATED music videos! +Live Chat and Embed video codes.Although he released ...

Comment

Working...
                                X