The EuroVision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    Quick reminder - this song won in 2006 ...
    Not a fair comparison. That won because they did the absolute opposite; the entered with something entirely left-field. Kinda like the most recent winners.

Britain often enters with a pop song, just not a pop song that plays to Eurovision. The last song we had where I genuinely thought we might win was Gina G's back in '96, because upon hearing it, it sounded like a Eurovision entry.

There's politics, but it isn't just politics. Many of the Eurovision winners do well because they have a great deal of radio play etc. in the countries that vote for months beforehand. They don't just rock up on the day with a relative unknown and hope for the best.

Comment

The UK has entered plenty of songs that are very Eurovision and likewise plenty of songs that have won Eurovision have been very similar. The 2019 entry was a very typical Eurovision song and got 11 points.

I'm not sure I'd agree at all on the radio play - maybe they get played in their own country, but as I don't listen to German radio for French Eurovision songs that are 50:50% split between public and judge votes, perhaps I'm missing out. Even so, if this is the case, then that's even more an argument against it being about the music, and simply being about familiarity.

And it's a perfectly fair comparison, it isn't a Eurovision song - that was kind of the point. 2021's winner wasn't typical Eurovision at all, it was almost Nickelback.
      Last edited by MartyG; 28-03-2022, 15:55.

Comment

So, which song has the best chance of coming second place this year?

Comment

Cooling tea, but listening whilst it's on in the other room.

Italy was decent.

Comment

Strong IT vibes from The Rasmus!

Comment

The UK has been asked to host Eurovision 2023 after hosting the event in Ukraine has been ruled out due to the logistics of planning the event and the ongoing war. The organisers have assured that the UK based hosting would reflect the Ukranian win in 2022.

Comment

Priti Patel will not allow this I'm sure. All the contestant turned back at the border.

Comment

By 2023 this event will be remembered like the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Several of the contestants will go missing.

Comment

Needlessly having to expand on their earlier answer thanks to Johnson's comments the organisers of Eurovision have doubled down that Ukraine hosting Eurovision 2023 isn't possible

Comment

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) and the BBC have confirmed that the 2023 Eurovision Song Contest will be hosted in the United Kingdom on behalf of this year’s winning broadcaster, Ukraine’s UA:PBC.

Confirmed that the UK will be host in 2023

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        https://eurovision.tv/story/united-k...g-contest-2023
                        Confirmed that the UK will be host in 2023
                        Half the contestants will be held up at Dover, a bunch will get covid from the airport and Priti Patel will be chasing the rest away with gunboats.

Comment

Liverpool to host Eurovision song contest on behalf of Ukraine | Liverpool | The Guardian

Comment

Aaaaaand every hotel in Liverpool which isn't booked out is now over £500. Evidently I should've gotten in sooner. God I'm a ****ing moron; I meant to book this morning but I got distracted

Comment

I’m going to have to put my place up as an Air BnB at this rate! Will help pay for winter 23’s utilities bill…

The city will be rammed with people from all walks of life…

Comment

The prices are crazy. Nowhere reasonable is available within 13 miles of the venue or Lime Street station.

Comment

Working...
                                X