Classic anime: Cyber City Oedo 808

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
    Oh & was I the only one who actually stuck the stickers that came in each volume on the tapes??
    No, I did that too!

RG Veda was another good one...that was also dubbed here in the UK and Linus Roach (who was quite famous at the time) did one of the voices. I still have my VHS copy of that!

Comment

Originally posted by SharkSkin-Man View Post
      Ha! Nice work my friend! Never heard of them!

Comment

Ah RG Veda... Nothing like anime that absolutely resolves no story and just randomly ends.

Comment

Lots of anime is like that because there's a need to keep things open for future manga/anime instalments. Doesn't change the fact that it's a fantastic production with great character design, excellent animation and a stonkingly good English dub.

Comment

Its my favourite. Took me ages to track down on DVD. But im quite happy to have it. Gets watched all the time as well.

Comment

One of my all-time favourite anime.

I have always loved the theme song used in the Western Dub.

Comment

Cool series, back when anime didn't look like browser based flash games.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  To be fair, the 80's had a lot of violent cyberpunk OVAs and at the moment, OVAs aren't too huge (there's very little around that isn't an existing TV series). There was an awful lot of complete and utter tosh around that time that people tend to forget about though. Genocyber, Apocalypse Zero, Odin.
                  Quite. It's completely untrue to say that all modern anime is rubbish when there was plenty of dross back in the day. It's the old rose tinted specs again...

Anyway, the DVD medium was the best thing to ever happen to anime. I cannot stand dubs at all.

Comment

If a dub is done well then there's very little reason to dislike it.

And I challenge you to name me one anime production from the past 10 years that comes anywhere close to rivalling the likes of Wings of Honneamise.

It's far from being about rose-tinted specs...

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      One of my all-time favourite anime.

I have always loved the theme song used in the Western Dub.

I wish I could get hold of this with the revised soundtrack. All the DVDs have the UK-produced dub, but the music is the original Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar View Post
                        If a dub is done well then there's very little reason to dislike it.

And I challenge you to name me one anime production from the past 10 years that comes anywhere close to rivalling the likes of Wings of Honneamise.

It's far from being about rose-tinted specs...
                        That is a little unfair, as stated in this thread OVA/FILM production is practicially dead with the best stuff coming from TV seasons which are more entertaining than Royal Space Force, as for similar productions of the top of my head since 2000 we have FLCL, Voices of a Distant Star, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Cowboy Bebop Film and 5cm Per Second from last year.

I could produce long list most people would universially agree are great shows but fall within the TV show format.

Comment

I guess it is a little unfair because comparing TV shows and OVA/films is like comparing chalk and cheese. The two are entirely different.

However, from my perspective, I don't have the time to invest hours and hours into a TV series. I want a movie-like experience, or at least something that is a little more compact (Cyber City being a good example). And in that respect, I think modern anime is a poor second to what we had back in the early/mid '90s because, as has been pointed out, TV shows have taken prominence.

Comment

There is still stuff around for fans of violent sexually charged action series.

Gantz is worth checking out. The characters are a bit stupid at times ("don't just stand their, shoot it!!!!") and the final arc isn't up to scratch (diverges from the manga because they'd caught up with it and had to write their own story). It's a pretty bleak, cruel series where no character is 'safe' but it has a great black sense of humour (and a sex scene involving Lara Croft).

Comment

Not really a fan of violent sexually charged stuff...

Comment

Nice thread - ive been sifting through my extensive VHS manga video collection thinking i need to get shut of these and jus have them on digital form to save me space.

Regarding the Celtic Frost theme, i remeber in school a lad who pointed me to their music as he recognised the theme. Can't say i could relate to that style of music - bit too dark for my liking.

As for the Cyber City dub/sub. Well i too was dissapointed about the DVD release - so my mate helped me 'aqquire' a copy in a format that had the original manga video dub with the music in tact and the jap original with eng subs. Which is better that the Channel 4 effort i had on a VHS many moons ago - even though i had them on VHS originals, i strangely recorded them off the TV as well - I had too much time on my hands back then.........

Out of curiosity does anyone know if an MP3 exists of the end theme for Dominion Tank Police? The one im talking about is the Manga Video dub of Acts 1-4. Ive been searching an eternity for it......... 8)

Do agree the sountrack to cyber city was very good - not 100% keen on the fact that it included the english voices in some of the tracks, but atleast the intro and end theme were in there

Comment

Working...
                                X