No announcement yet.

Total Recall (remake)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great article about how Quaid really is just having paranoid delusions and none of the spy elements are really happening. He's in a coma back in the Rekall offices!

Comment

If it was all a dream then the film would tell you it was.

Total Recall has good twists and stuff but the plotting is actually really simple and it's clear that it's not all a dream at all. In fact there are no real hints in the film that it is all a dream. That article is really stretching things. I've never understood why some people are desperate for it all to be a dream. It's just weird.

Also, if it was all a dream then you have basically just watched a film where nothing happened and there was no point. Which basically makes it the worst film ever. Do people really want it to be the worst film ever?
      Last edited by rmoxon; 07-08-2012, 11:06.

Comment

There are enough hints in it to point towards it being a dream. I choose to prefer to believe that it all actually happens just because I like happy endings.

Comment

I go for dream, not the stuck in dream and he's in coma at Rekall but just that he's literallty getting the package he bought. Its too stupid to believe he's this normal construction worker living on Earth but dreams of Mars, then buys a package which includes going to Mars, being a bad ass secret agent and the ending up with the girl of his dreams? I like to think Arnie will wake up after he's kissed her.

Its not a film about nothing happening if we're along for the ride with him. A film where nothing happens just wouldnt get made and if it did would make no money.

Comment

As it's so OTT in places I always felt that it was just Arnie getting the VR sequence he'd paid to get too.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post

Also, if it was all a dream then you have basically just watched a film where nothing happened and there was no point. Which basically makes it the worst film ever. Do people really want it to be the worst film ever?
              Brilliant logic there!

Total Recall is ambiguous enough that the viewer can see Quaid's journey as being either real, delusion or the implant he paid for, one of the reasons it is such a good film.

Comment

If it was all a dream then the film would tell you it was.
                Does it have to be clear cut? I love a solid ending too, but sometimes leaving the audience hanging is fun!

Inception
                Blade Runner
                Prince of Darkness
                The Thing
                The Italian Job

There are several films/tv shows where it was all a dream or nothing was as it seems and were far from being "the worst film ever".

The Sixth Sense
                Lost
                Vanilla Sky/Open Your Eyes
                Wizard of Oz
                American Psycho
                The Descent
                The Shining (but let's not go there, eh?)

Heck, even

Mario 2, Zelda: Link's Awakening and Mickey's Magical Quest

were dreams! Nobody says they're the worst games ever!

I actually like the idea that you can inspect films closer and get a deeper meaning from them, or just take them at face value.

Brian agrees with you, though... (3:40)

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                  ending up with the girl of his dreams?
                  Literally the girl on the Recall monitor.

Comment

Most dream based films do my head in purely because they're more structured than dreams actually are. There's the odd exception but I think a standard dream is the least likely Total Recall explaination.

Comment

On the new Blu-Ray release, there is a documentary where Verhoeven states explicitly that the

white light at the end of the movie is Arnie's brain collapsing back in the Rekall office

Comment

Originally posted by djjimbob View Post
                        On the new Blu-Ray release, there is a documentary where Verhoeven states explicitly that the

white light at the end of the movie is Arnie's brain collapsing back in the Rekall office
                        Ha, so I was right!

Comment

Originally posted by parkinho View Post
                          Brilliant logic there!

Total Recall is ambiguous enough that the viewer can see Quaid's journey as being either real, delusion or the implant he paid for, one of the reasons it is such a good film.
                          No that's not one of the reasons it's such a good film.

If it was all a dream from the point that Arnie goes to get his fantasy then that means the entire movie hasn't really happened.

That means there's no character development, no one has learnt anything, no character has grown, nothing has actually taken place for around 90 minutes of the movie and the entire thing is meaningless. The main character will simply go back to his life and plod on in a content fashion as he originally had been.

I think it's very telling that Verhoven has only recently started talking like the film might be a dream when in the past he has nev said anything of the sort about the film. Some Internet geeks with too much time on hands have tried to make the movie somthing more than it is. Ironically though, by saying its all a dream they are actually making it into less of a movie, not more of one.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 08-08-2012, 17:26.

Comment

No that's not one of the reasons it's such a good film.

If it was all a dream from the point that Arnie goes to get his fantasy then that means the entire movie hasn't really happened.

That means there's no character development, no one has learnt anything, no character has grown, nothing has actually taken place for around 90 minutes of the movie and the entire thing is meaningless. The main character will simply go back to his life and plod on in a content fashion as he originally had been.

I think it's very telling that Verhoven has only recently started talking like the film might be a dream when in the past he has nev said anything of the sort about the film. Some Internet geeks with too much time on hands have tried to make the movie somthing more than it is. Ironically though, by saying its all a dream they are actually making it into less of a movie, not more of one.
                            This post is either poor trolling or utter stupidity. I am struggling to decide.

Comment

Think Im stupid all you like.

But in general films that have no character development are considered bad, If Total Recall is all a dream then it has no character development, and in fact nothing actually happened in the film at all. So why shouldn't it be considered bad?

I'm not the one not using my brain here.

Maybe you find films where nothing actually happens in them satisfying, but I personally don't.

I love Total Recall, but that's because I choose to believe the story was actually happening (and the film never says that it isn't which means that it's open ended at the very least) If it turned out to be all in someone's head I'd hate the film.
                              Last edited by rmoxon; 08-08-2012, 18:14.

Comment

Think Im stupid all you like.

But in general films that have no character development are considered bad, If Total Recall is all a dream then it has no character development, and in fact nothing actually happened in the film at all. So why shouldn't it be considered bad?

I'm not the one not using my brain here.

Maybe you find films where nothing actually happens in them satisfying, but I personally don't.

I love Total Recall, but that's because I choose to believe the story was actually happening (and the film never says that it isn't which means that it's open ended at the very least) If it turned out to be all in someone's head I'd hate the film.
                                But character development and storyline can occur in a dream. You do realise total recall is not a documentary right? Essentially none of it really happened..

Comment

Working...
                                X