No announcement yet.

Does anyone like Jazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually got into the little jazz that I own mostly through hip hop. Madlib's Shades of Blue got me chasing up old Blue Note records.

I'd recommend starting with the obvious stuff. Miles Davis, Theolonius Monk, Ornette Coleman...

Kind of Blue seems to get everyone into jazz, so maybe start with that.

Comment

Have to say, I've never been a jazz fan (it's background music for me) and I sometimes get a bit irratated as the snobbery surrounding 'freestyle' jazz. Yes it's freeflowing and captures the players mood but how is it any more high art than say, bluegrass or other forms of semi-improvisational music that gets looked down upon?

Comment

I've listened to loads of Oscar Peterson now so I'm looking for some more piano recommendations. These are some other musicians that I've been listening to.

Bud Powell

Billie Holiday

Art Blakey

Grant Green

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
          I actually got into the little jazz that I own mostly through hip hop. Madlib's Shades of Blue got me chasing up old Blue Note records.

I'd recommend starting with the obvious stuff. Miles Davis, Theolonius Monk, Ornette Coleman...

Kind of Blue seems to get everyone into jazz, so maybe start with that.
          This is what I've been doing plus a lot of ost stuff from Melville films enjoying it.

Comment

You NEED some Alice Coltrane. Her harp stuff is out of this world:

The album from which this is taken is a masterpiece.

Another amazing piece:

Comment

^Nice choonz there and kudos for bringing this most necessary thread back to life!

A few goodies, more erring towards the fusion/funk side:

(Kicks in after the noodlings around 56 seconds in)

Comment

Love the angular melody o' this fella...

Awesome album, but youtube doesn't have my favourite track available. Darnit.

...I love Monk's solo playing. Not fussed about technique, stabs those keys with all his might!
                Last edited by crocky-chocky; 28-02-2011, 16:35.

Comment

Great, great thread. Who knew there were so many closet Jazz heads on NTSC-uk?

Anyway, some modern Jazz from Germany courtesy of Bohren and Der Club of Gore. These guys are amazing:

This sort of laid back, swing Jazz is my favourite variant of the genre. I just love the atmosphere. It reminds me of old film noir detective movies and such.

Comment

^Awesome mood music, smoky and jazzy and noirish but with added synth soundscape that kind of reminds me both of Mass Effect and Mulholland Drive for some reason, have just 'obtained' that album.

Been listening to some of my old Herbie Hancock CDs, he's a total legend, proper incredible, absolutely *love* the tightness of this particular track:

Spiraling PRISM, godamnit!!!
                    Last edited by JazzFunk; 02-03-2011, 04:39.

Comment

Cashback from over 400 brands all on one platform. Shop with Rakuten & stack offers with discounts, voucher codes and cashback for great savings at top brands.

this is amazing if you have a BR player and a DTSHD decoder

Comment

^ Some nice Hancock picks there, JF. Thrust is an awesome, awesome album.

One o' my faves.

Comment

I'm still listening to loads or Oscar Peterson music and trying to find more of it and thought I'd have a look on iTunes as it surprises me sometimes.

I found the Oscar Peterson: The Greatest Collection which is a collection of 93 tracks and costs a ridiculous ?2:49!!

Tried a few of the previews as I was expecting really poor quality at that price but it seems fine. Downloading it now to listen and I'll be taking it out iPod as I'm going for a hike later.

Comment

Working...
                          X