No announcement yet.

Christopher Nolan's INCEPTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like some abstracted films. Mullholland Drive is an example. Probably because I have an interest in the industry it's commenting on.

On the other hand, abstracted weirdness in anime, with people turning into giant robots etc., does nothing for me.

Comment

What about tenticle sex?

Comment

Maybe the film is about not running from your fears? Instead of running and lying to yourself maybe you have to confront your fears head on by going deep within yourself. However, you are made ever stronger by friends and family.

Such a great film on so many levels, no pun intended.

Comment

watched this today, never seen it but heard what its all about, nan fell asleep but I actually really enjoyed it! I think its slightly slow in the beginning and I can see about what people mean when they say you have to watch it a couple of times to get it otherwise you can lose the story line.

Comment

One part that I noticed, on the plane the air stewardess goes to get one of their briefcase's cases out of a high cupboard but she draws the curtain so no one could see, why does she do this?

Everyone but Cillian Murphy is in on the job and he is out for the count, there was no one else on the plane and Ken Watanabe even bought the airline, so why bother even showing that. Must be a continuity error.
            Last edited by Miguel007; 27-12-2010, 02:26.

Comment

I dont remember that but I asume she drew the curtains becuase he was sleeping?

Not sure why youd think it was a continuity error.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel007 View Post
                One part that I noticed, on the plane the air stewardess goes to get one of their briefcase's cases out of a high cupboard but she draws the curtain so no one could see, why does she do this?

Everyone but Cillian Murphy is in on the job and he is out for the count, there was no one else on the plane and Ken Watanabe even bought the airline, so why bother even showing that. Must be a continuity error.
                I think Ken Watanabe bought the airline so certain strings could be pulled to get them all on the flight and sat next to Cillain. Also so a particular stewardess could be used to handle business during sleepy time.

That is my guess.

Comment

It's not a continuity error, lol. At it's simplest, the rest of the plane wasn't empty. At it's dumbest, it's a simple visual cue that the job is about to go ahead. With everything else going on in the film, the drawing of the curtain is the least of anyone's concerns

If you really want to analyse it, then how about

as it's all happening in his mind anyway, that slight "error" - assuming the airplane is empty - is the kind of thing an unconscious mind would do. Logic does not rule our dreams.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                    It's not a continuity error, lol. At it's simplest, the rest of the plane wasn't empty. At it's dumbest, it's a simple visual cue that the job is about to go ahead. With everything else going on in the film, the drawing of the curtain is the least of anyone's concerns

If you really want to analyse it, then how about

as it's all happening in his mind anyway, that slight "error" - assuming the airplane is empty - is the kind of thing an unconscious mind would do. Logic does not rule our dreams.
                    In his mind? Eh?! When they are on the plane they ain't dreaming...or have I missed the over analysing?

Comment

I'm of the opinion the whole movie is

in his mind.

Comment

I'm of the opinion the whole movie is

in his mind.
                        How? I think thats way over analysing?

And isn't that just a bit naff? Similiar to 'it was all a dream'............

Did anybody else notice

When they escape from the building in the first dream, the right-hand mirror of the van is broken by the gate. In the following shot when they are driving, the other mirror is broken and the right mirror is suddenly undamaged!

And the best one...

During the zero-gravity fight scene in room 5something, you can see a crew member's hand briefly resting against the end of the bed when Arthur and the projection are fighting on it
                        Last edited by dazzling_bubble; 27-12-2010, 18:46. Reason: spelling!

Comment

I dont think we are actualy supose to have an opinion on the ending, I feel its

open ended becuase we arent suppose to know if its real or not

Which is fine by me as I think that goes with the film and probably the feelings of the main character,

as he, like me, just doesnt care if it is or not

Nolan is fantastic at putting you in the mindset of his main characters and this film is certainly no exception.
                          Last edited by rmoxon; 28-12-2010, 00:08.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzling_bubble View Post
                            How? I think thats way over analysing?
                            ???? The film is about your own interpretation. How is a simple "I think it's alll a dream" over analysing? Particularly baffling when you then start pointing out possible continuity errors.

And isn't that just a bit naff? Similiar to 'it was all a dream'............
                            Not in the slightest. Because at no stage is the wool pulled over the viewers eyes. And there is no big SURPRISE reveal at the end. Rather, it ends on a question. How you answer that question leads to your interpretation of the film.

Given there are clear cut clues throughout, and his ex wife even tells him at one stage, I have no doubt that

it's all a "dream".

What would be naff is if he then woke up in the shower with his wife next to him. That would be the classic "It was a dream" audience betrayal. Nolan is smart enough to avoid it.

Comment

???? The film is about your own interpretation. How is a simple "I think it's alll a dream" over analysing? Particularly baffling when you then start pointing out possible continuity errors.

Not in the slightest. Because at no stage is the wool pulled over the viewers eyes. And there is no big SURPRISE reveal at the end. Rather, it ends on a question. How you answer that question leads to your interpretation of the film.

Given there are clear cut clues throughout, and his ex wife even tells him at one stage, I have no doubt that

it's all a "dream".

What would be naff is if he then woke up in the shower with his wife next to him. That would be the classic "It was a dream" audience betrayal. Nolan is smart enough to avoid it.
                              The first time I watched it, theres the scene with micheal cain near the begining where

he tells him to come back to reality and stuff

and thats is really obviously pointing towards what you think the movie is so i thought that was where it was going. But now I think thats actualy kinda a red herring and hes really just telling him

to get a grip on his life or whatever

Like I said, I dont think there is suppose to be an answer, the story is about the character, not about where the character is.

At least I hope thats the case becuase at the end of the day its kinda like Blade Runner, that film dosent work as well for me now we have been told that Deckard deffinitley is a Replicant, in fact its nowhere near as good.
                              Last edited by rmoxon; 28-12-2010, 00:43.

Comment

The clincher for me is his wife telling him how unlikely it is that, in real life, he'll be fleeing from corporate cartels. There are dream like sequences throughout - fleeing between buildings that get closer and closer, a car arriving just in time to save him, that kind of dream-logic. There's the flights he takes, which I'm pretty sure are actually taking him back to the place he's just flying from - he's going nowhere.

If that is the case, it in no way cheapens the film. It's so finely crafted

Comment

Working...
                                X