No announcement yet.

Christopher Nolan's INCEPTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparisons to Total Recall are comical.

"Oh no another film had a mildly similar idea that the hero may actually be dreaming it all so Inception isn't original!!"

Two films on such different ends of the spectrum, it's like comparing Star Wars to 2001.

Comment

Well, as as I said above after re-watching, there is some ambiguity to the ending of Inception. I just think it leans one way more than the other.

I don't think it is the final scene of Total Recall that sews the seed of ambiguity in most peoples minds, outside of the jokey dialogue. The things mentioned by abigsmurf earlier are what does it for most people. Preferable to the gimmick of Inception, for me anyway.

If nothing else, this has all made me realise I don't own Total Recall. Must sort that out.

Comment

Total Recall is an awesome film. Can remember seeing it the day it was released at The Odeon in Colchester, and coming out with a few friends, one said he found it all very confusing. To this day I'm perplexed. It's a very simple, straight ahead action movie.

The tiny bit of ambiguity present in Total Recall is so unimportant, I can't see why it's being discussed in relation to Inception. I genuinely do not understand. Inception is all about the dream, about one's perception of reality. Total Recall is about Arnie getting his arse to Mars. One is a classic, and one may be worthy of classic status if it still holds up in 10 years.

Just to be clear here, with no ambiguity on my part, I rate Total Recall as one of the greatest action movies of all time, and probably the last big action film that used proper gibs for gunshot hits. It's flawless, except for one tiny thing - the bit where Ironside falls to his death having lost his arms. As he was falling, the heroine below should have started shooting him. All the way down. He lands in a splat, she reloads, and empties another clip in him. "Why not?"

Comment

I absolubtley agree, I dont really get all this nonsense about people thinking Total Recall is anything other than a very stright forward (and yes completely awesome) film.

Thats why I commented about it in here really, people have mentioned it several times in this thread but I, like you Matt, dont think there is much of a comparison between the films.

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie View Post
            How long do they have to show it spinning? It's a long shot after he's spun it, walked away to greet his kids and it was still solidly spinning after the camera pans back to the table before going to credits. If it doesn't wobble then there's no suggestion it's going to fall over. The fact that it cuts to credits just tells us that we're not meant to know either way.
            Urgh I thought I'd posted for the last time in this thread but I... can't.... stop.... myself, one... more... time!

Look, saying that the wobble 'creates' the ambiguity - whilst correct in one sense, completely ignores the fact that in 'this example' (a spinning bloody top) also immediately destroys the ambiguity too!

I now talked far too much on a film I rate no higher than Sum of all Fears! Urgh I feel dirty.

Comment

It is supposed to be ambiguous.

That's the point.

People are supposed to be unsure and discuss it.

This thread it 25 pages long.

Job done!

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990 View Post
                Urgh I thought I'd posted for the last time in this thread but I... can't.... stop.... myself, one... more... time!

Look, saying that the wobble 'creates' the ambiguity - whilst correct in one sense, completely ignores the fact that in 'this example' (a spinning bloody top) also immediately destroys the ambiguity too!

I now talked far too much on a film I rate no higher than Sum of all Fears! Urgh I feel dirty.
                Why does it destrory the ambiguity?

When was it said in the film that the spinning top never wobbled in dreams?

You are taking the whole thing way too literally I feel.

Comment

What I would rather know is how many takes it took to get the final used shot of the totem spinning with a slight wobble. They probably had a master spinner bloke to do hundreds of takes.

Comment

Ironically, the endless debate has made me intrigued enough to want to see this again so if I see it cheap I might pick it up. As for the endings debate, in Total Recall I always took it as he was in the VR world as it all pans out too similarly to the set up he wished for in the beginning and though in a future setting escalates way and above what initially seems feasable.

As for Inception, at the end he's awake. The film takes a great amount of time setting up the rules for the dreamscapes Cobb navigates and in the final scene none of those rules applies. The spinning top is nothing more than being playful with the audience hence cutting off as it begins to wobble. The rest of the details in that scene support he's awake. It's an obvious but nice touch which I think only bugged some people because it's a smart film which plays out well and as a device is a little beneath it.

Comment

What's that I hear...? A can of worms you say!
                      I personally agree with you crazytaxi. I was quite annoyed at my 2nd veiwing on't teh blurays, I said to my wife I didn't take anything new from it at all, my original feelings start to end where still the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                        What I would rather know is how many takes it took to get the final used shot of the totem spinning with a slight wobble. They probably had a master spinner bloke to do hundreds of takes.
                        as silly as it sounds, I bet they just CG'd it for ease

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          I absolubtley agree, I dont really get all this nonsense about people thinking Total Recall is anything other than a very stright forward (and yes completely awesome) film.

Thats why I commented about it in here really, people have mentioned it several times in this thread but I, like you Matt, dont think there is much of a comparison between the films.
                          Totall Recall is awesome because it is a straight-forward action movie with a very subtle amount of 'is it a dream?' going on in it. And the ending is much more ambiguous than Inception which gives you a near definite answer while Total Recall leaves with a 'what if?'

Comment

Yet again I need to point out that many here are missing the very simple premise that, if the film is all a dream, the totem toppling / not toppling has absolutely no bearing on anything in the slightest.

Therefore there can be no "definite answer"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                              Yet again I need to point out that many here are missing the very simple premise that, if the film is all a dream, the totem toppling / not toppling has absolutely no bearing on anything in the slightest.

Therefore there can be no "definite answer"
                              Is this not also the case with Total Recall?

Comment

Once again I fail to see how anyone can compare the two films. Total Recall is an Action Film. Inception is so much more.

But if we must, TR is only a dream from the moment he enters the chair. Before that, it's all reality.

Comment

Working...
                                X