No announcement yet.

Christopher Nolan's INCEPTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

watched this night...really really enjoyed it i have to say ...though was tampered slightly by the gf asking me questions about what was going on lol

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      Don't know why you guys like this film. According to Armond White, this film is ****.

Seriously, read his review, it's brilliant. It definitely is not written by a thesaurus-obsessed chunder jockey. Paulos will love it, it's full of big words thrown together to make him appear learned. But Paulos won't like the missing capital letters. Oh no.

White is the world's greatest living contrarian. Although I hear he disagress with that assessment.

Then marvel at his film criticism history.

Then hope he falls in a sewer.
      Just read his review.

Jesus!, the guy obviously has issues!

Do you have to be some type of accademic to understand his review properly or what?!

Comment

There's all sorts of theories floating about - that's what I love about the film. Two interesting ones:

Neither from me incidentally and MAJOR SPOILERS:

*SPOILER* His character is key to understanding the movie. In the end it doesn't matter if the top stays up or falls down - Cobb has been coerced to join his father (Caine) in Caine's dream reality. Apply everything you know about Cobb's role to Ariadne - she brings Cobb to the deepest levels of his dreams/memories, she tells Cobb to trust her with his deepest secrets, she convinces Cobb to shoot Mal. All this after 'an idea' is implanted in Cobb's brain early in the movie - when Saito suggests that he can live his life happily with his children if he does one more job. They also made the point over and over that only the dreamer can populate a dream landscape - his kids and Mal keep showing up. One last hint - after escaping the van Ariadne states "He'll be fine" - because she orchestrated everything, and the rest of the cast (including Fischer) were part of her team, working for Michael Caine's character. There's no conclusion to the 'Level 4' story because he had already parted with Mal - goal accomplished, at which point the rest of the team (on the plane) woke him up.

Or...

Much earlier in the film when Cobb is assembling his team, directly after we're introduced to the chemist who created the strong sedative, we're shown a room full of people dreaming. Cobb then goes under, looking to experience the sedative and seeing it's effectiveness. Now here's the catch. We never actually see him wake up. Rather, as best my memory serves, we cut to him splashing water on his face and slapping himself. Also, he spins the top to test his current state. Arthur walks and asks if he's okay and he catches a glimpse of his wife in the window, immediately snatching up the top. We never see if it falls. Now, I may be remember the order/specifics of that improperly but I do remember the two important factors. Cobb, who is supposedly "awake" at that time see's an incredibly quick glimpse of Mol and we never see the top fall. My thoughts are that everything after that moment, anything that takes place after Cobb is put under the sedative, is his creation.

Both very interesting takes and it can be looked at in multiple ways.

I think

the top does fall at the end and he is back in reality.

I thought another way they could have closed it out would have been

for Michael Caine picks the spinning top up before it falls and puts it in his pocket.

Overall, best film so far this year.
        Last edited by SmokeMeAKipper; 18-07-2010, 20:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
          Just read his review.

Do you have to be some type of accademic to understand his review properly or what?!
          The guy is clearly insane, he likened the plot of Transformers 2 to Toy Story 3.

Comment

Next time there's a critically acclaimed film coming out, pop onto Rotten Tomatoes and wait for White's review to appear. It's nearly always full of vitriol and loathing. The man seems to have serious issues, going from various quotes, and gets a kick out of going against the grain. Which isn't bad per se, but it's almost every acclaimed film. Even Ebert refers to him as a troll.

His writing style is awful. He's a film reviewer and hardly anyone can work out what he's trying to say. Any interesting arguments he offers are lost due to his impenetrable waffle. The purpose of his writing is lost. He is supposed to inform his audience, but he writes for himself, and seems to have his own agenda.
            Last edited by prinnysquad; 18-07-2010, 22:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
              Just read his review.

No, he is just is nob (a review of him, with short words used)

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Don't know why you guys like this film. According to Armond White, this film is ****.

Seriously, read his review, it's brilliant. It definitely is not written by a thesaurus-obsessed chunder jockey. Paulos will love it, it's full of big words thrown together to make him appear learned. But Paulos won't like the missing capital letters. Oh no.

White is the world's greatest living contrarian. Although I hear he disagress with that assessment.

Then marvel at his film criticism history.

Then hope he falls in a sewer.

Hey, it's the guy who writes Penny Arcade!

Seriously though, this guy is an AMERICAN critic? As with Penny arcade, methinks the lion's share of his target audience are going to end up being far too lacking in the old grey matter department to even have heard of most of the words used in such derived paragraphs of hatred let alone comprehend their meaning. This is the nation afterall who voted into the office of 'allegedly' the most powerful man on the planet, for TWO WHOLE TERMS, a child trapped inside a man's body!

Comment

My brother sent me a link to an article with an explanation (in the writer's opinion) about what's happening in the film.

Here's the link (do not click if you haven't seen the film): http://chud.com/articles/articles/24...ION/Page1.html

I think it is a very solid sounding idea, but I would have to see the film a few more times to make my own judgement.

Comment

Brilliant article, best I've read. Could be wrong, but it doesn't matter. Great movies are open to interpretation.

Comment

Watched it the other day and thought it felt to long tbh. My main problem was the story with cobb and the death of his wife played on for far to long and dragged the film down. I pretty much got what was going on and the concept with dreams within dreams was pretty good, but after watching the trailer I was hoping for something a little more.

Will give it another try when Its out on blu-ray to see If my thoughts differ on a second viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                        Hey, it's the guy who writes Penny Arcade!

Seriously though, this guy is an AMERICAN critic?

I dont think thats the guy who writes Penny Arcade

Comment

not sure if its just Di Caprio but something stopping me wanting to see this, I think my hunch is that Nolan is going to be like Bryan Singer and never follow up his first hit film with anything remotely as good (Memento & Usual Suspects).

that said the Prestige was pretty good but I found both Batmans hugely overrated.

Comment

I can say I am not a massive Leo fan but I thought he was good in this film and showed some good range, which then made me think I can see why people cast him/want him.
                            Tom Hardy stole the supporting role from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, also I did think Cillian Murphy was underused but hey he played his role in the movie.
                            Some great theories going around about the film which is always good.
                            I like to think

Cobb at the end is not in a dream and the spinning top does topple. In Limbo you can grow old and spend 90 years there BUT you still come out at the same point when you wake up, just in the dream feels like 90 years. So when Cobb wakes up on the plane everyone knows he has been in Limbo for what feels like eternity but alas has awoken with everyone else. Great way to end a film and of course a film about dreams is ALWAYS going to be open to interpretation. Some of them have made me rethink what I got from it but I will happily take my happy ending.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                              not sure if its just Di Caprio but something stopping me wanting to see this, I think my hunch is that Nolan is going to be like Bryan Singer and never follow up his first hit film with anything remotely as good (Memento & Usual Suspects).

that said the Prestige was pretty good but I found both Batmans hugely overrated.
                              I feel Nolan carries a consistency through all of his work and has become stronger with each subsequent film.

I can't think of a single director working today that remains as exciting and unique from their first film to their most recent.

I'm also not the type of person to form a dislike towards an actor unless they have always handed in bad performances or films. I don't think Leonardo DiCaprio has been anything less than brilliant in most of his roles.

I'll forgive him Titanic and Romeo & Juliet!

Comment

Originally posted by toxicninja View Post
                                I dont think thats the guy who writes Penny Arcade
                                I was being sarcastic

Seems like they're both people who like to use the big words for an audience who is more than likely never going to understand what the **** they're going on about!

Comment

Working...
                                X