Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

what a great album......

back to great song writing and performing, only 35mins or so long, as there is no bad or 'filler' songs its a great listen.

from a really haunting 'The End' that makes you ponder your life! to the fantastic high energy of 'the fixer', i've not enjoyed a PJ album as much as this since Vitalogy.

if your a PJ fan and not got it, get it, and if you just like PJ get it!

I don't mind the short length - but I'm finding some of the songs a little.. sketchy.

Some are terrific, don't get me wrong, the last three tracks are fantastic - but 'Supersonic' sounds like a b-side song if there ever was one.

'Amongst the Waves' sounds like a Binaural track even the production towards the end of the track sounds that way.

It's a shame that the opening track is one of the worst on the album though.

Definately worth a purchase, I just ordered it for my Dad too - I think he'll like it.

'The Fixer' is truely a great track.. incredible.

Comment

after a few listens, all the tracks seem to grow on you, i was the same after the first listen, but having played it a good dozen times i never skip a track.

Comment

I'm really enjoying the fast pop tracks on the first half of the record, for tracks aimed at getting them radio play and hopefully mainstream appeal they manage to walk the line very well. The second half isn't as successful, trying to make the more brooding traditional PJ sound more accessible by stripping out the band and replacing them with the producers keyboard and orchestral arrangements doesn't completely work. I see that they had a orchestra backing them up last night at their Seattle show so looking forward to hearing a boot of that.

Comment

I agree about the two sides to the album. Listened to it while cycling to and from work and the first half is deffo the strongest.
          The second track, Got Some is genius.

Comment

Cool to hear some opinions, to me the Fixer sounded a bit like guys in their 40's trying to capture a pop crowd. Hopefully the other tracks dont follow suit.

Comment

This was from last nights show, its two of the more gentle tracks. I can see that this will be another album that I enjoy the live versions more than the studio versions...

...and probably go back to the studio versions years later and enjoy them (like I have recently done with Binaural) >_<

Comment

In case anyone hasn't noticed the extra bonus with the cd - pop it into your PC/Mac and you can follow a link to a page on the official web site. From here, you can download two full concerts for free! There are ten (I think) to choose from - the two I downloaded are excellent.

Comment

Unofficial Podcast for the Pearl Jam fan - some of the stuff this guy plays is solid gold...if you've not spent your life collecting live show bootlegs its a must listen.

Comment

After many more listens I have to say the whole album is stunning. The second half grows on you and I love every track. Of course, some aren't as strong as others, but every track has a little bit of magic that makes me smile.

Comment

Has anyone tried the rock band pack yet? If so is it worth a look?

I'm seeing these guys next month in Sydney and this has been my walk to work album for the past few days. It didn't grasp me at first but now after only a few short listens it's one that I love and don't find myself skipping any tracks.

Comment

I think this album is superb, easily one of the best of this year. (Not that it's had a lot of competition to be fair)

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                          In case anyone hasn't noticed the extra bonus with the cd - pop it into your PC/Mac and you can follow a link to a page on the official web site. From here, you can download two full concerts for free! There are ten (I think) to choose from - the two I downloaded are excellent.

Finally got round to downloading my two concerts, went for Mansfield and East Rutherford. Porch and Garden were the deciding factors for me as they are always epic live.

Comment

Looks like things went all old school last night at the LA show...Hunger Strike w/ Chris Cornell o_O

Comment

When I saw Chris Cornell this year in london he did Hunger Strike and everyone got dead excited that Eddie might appear and do his bit. Some bloke who I didn't know just strolled on and sang Vedder's part. He did a decent job but you could feel the disapointment in the crowd.

Comment

Working...
                              X