Film4's New Asian Cinema Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Film4's New Asian Cinema Season

Little or no mention of it, but Film4 are doing a little Asian film season starting tomorrow; starting with House Of Flying Daggers (9pm), then Ashes Of Time Redux straight afterwards, then Kamikaze Girls (Thu), then the two Death Note films (Fri).

Quick question (read daft question) (perhaps?): I'm actually watching the Death Note anime now - 16 episodes in. Thus, would watching the two Death Note films ruin the anime, somewhat?

yes!
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Once you get past a certain important event, it doesn't spoil it at all. The Films end about 3/5ths the way through the anime/manga.

They're worth watching as L and Light are both excellently cast (bit of a shame about the rest of the cast mind). There are also some clever divergences on how the rules of the note work from the anime and manga and a smart ending (that's superior to the anime one in my book)

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up!

Going to record Flying Daggers, Ashes of Time, the 2 Death Notes, I'm a Cyborg but That's OK and Zatoichi.

Full line up here:

Comment

Cheers for the heads-up - have been meaning to catch the Death Note movies, sounds like a good chance to do so. Interested to see what happens, given the comments above - I prefer the manga's ending to the anime in a huge way.

Comment

can you spoil the manga end for me? I assume it doesn't feature

Swimming lessons

Comment

Huge, huge, epic spoilers for the manga underneath.

No swimming lessons!

Ending in the manga is quite close to the anime up until the point where Mikami enters the warehouse and everything is all uncovered. After a brief bit of squabbling Light pleads with Ryuk to write the names of everyone (Police + Near's team) into his journal but he writes Light's instead.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, gents. I think I better get my arse in gear and carry on with the anime, and do what QualityChimp is doing and record the two Death Note films. Ta for the full line up, as well.

Comment

There's a 3rd Death Note film about L, called Save the World but I don't think Film 4 are showing that one as it's pretty recent

Comment

Ah, I see; I was getting confused for some reason - thought that one was an OVA.

Just seen a pic of Ryuk - ah, man, he looks so good! --Might have to watch the first 10mins, now!

While on the subject of Death Note, I've got to say, incredible anime. Oddly enough it reminds me of 24, in the sense that you wonder how on earth are they gonna top that, yet, somehow, they do. Top stuff.
                    Last edited by nickgodfrey; 11-11-2009, 20:16.

Comment

Is Film4 on normal Sky then or do you need to subscribe to it separately like Setanta? Wouldn't mind watching a few of these movies.

Comment

Anyone else seen any of the others - Kamikaze Girls, Memories of Matsuko? I've actually had both of them on DVD for months, but never got around to watching them.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesy View Post
                          Is Film4 on normal Sky then or do you need to subscribe to it separately like Setanta? Wouldn't mind watching a few of these movies.
                          Normal Sky (315), and Freeview (15).
                          Last edited by nickgodfrey; 11-11-2009, 20:38.

Comment

Cheers dude. I've seen kamikaze girls in the cinema at my uni which was doing a week of japanese movies. Personally I thought it was excellent.

Comment

Love the anime. Just watching through it again at the minute. Realised that I have not seen most of what happens later on. I thought it only went up to about episode 24 but I've just checked online and there are 37 episodes! Going to order the rest now.

The live action films are pretty good: quite different in places from the anime but still worth watching.
                              Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X