Kraftwerk: The Catalogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kraftwerk: The Catalogue

Any other fans of the 'werk out there? Kling Klang have just released a box set with eight of their main albums repackaged and remastered. Here's a quick 'First Play' style early review.

It's been available as a promo for years, but it was finally released properly on Friday. My copy arrived from Amazon this morning.

First, the packaging is gorgeous. At first I thought I had ordered the vynil box set by mistake, but it comes in a large 12x12" box with a separate folder holding eight twelve inch booklets, one for each album. Each booklet has photos from the period the album was released. The front cover of the box has an deliberate optical illusion image that does my eyes in.

The CD's are repackaged in new cardboard sleeves, many with new covers, although the old covers are still on the inside. There's very little writing in the whole package, which is in keeping with the group's style.

I listened to Trans Europe Express in the car on the way to work and the difference in sound quality is immediately apparent, particuarly on Metal on Metal which was always quite grating on the old CD compared to the vynil, but here the warmth and hypnotic rhythms are back. There's still the glorious analogue sound, but with a cleaness that belies their age.

And all for just over £60, which next to the recent Beatles' boxsets is an absolute bargain, especially as I'd argue two of the albums rank amongst two of the best albums of all time.

The only slight downside is that it's incomplete and misses out their very early work by starting with Autobahn, but this is a catalogue of the sound they are famous for and so it's a a minor thing.

Plus eight albums is a more digital number than eleven.

nice!

i ve been listening to the seperate albums recently through headphones and they are brilliant

Man machine is epic - i love robots the first track, so much that i m wearing a red shirt and black tie like the cd cover this christmas party

Im glad someone has mentioned kraftwerk as i was goin to ask if anyone has any recommendations on groups with a similar sound?

Comment

Oh I did not know this was out ! awesome

Comment

Originally posted by nightstalker100 View Post
        nice!

i ve been listening to the seperate albums recently through headphones and they are brilliant

Man machine is epic - i love robots the first track, so much that i m wearing a red shirt and black tie like the cd cover this christmas party

Im glad someone has mentioned kraftwerk as i was goin to ask if anyone has any recommendations on groups with a similar sound?
        If they repeat it watch bbcfour's synth britiana

Comment

Sweet, I will have to stick this on my christmas list.

Are they doing any new stuff anytime soon?

Comment

So the first three records aren't included? For goodness' sake, Kraftwerk.

Are Karl Bartos and Wolfgang Flur credited at all? I could only find Ralf and Florian's names on the back of the reissues when I was looking at them in a shop.

Comment

It sounds very cool mate. I trust the packaging is as lush as the Minimum/Maximum boxset?

Have you ever seen the live? best gig I think I've ever been to was Kraftwerk at the Manchester Apollo in 2004 (I think?) It's always funny when I tell this to non-aficionados and they always say 'what's so great aboiut 4 old blokes standing still for 2 hours?'
              Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
              X