Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got round to starting Luther last night.

Watched the first five in one sitting then went to bed... but had to watch the sixth then the first of the second season.
    Fantastic. The only UK show that comes close in recent years was the Sherlock mini series.

The only bad part was episode five of the first season. They started with a very nice end point but the story they cooked up was dreadful. Completely out of place for the series and a UK cop show.

Comment

Been watching a lot of Burnistoun recently, after catching the last few eps of Series 2 on iPlayer. Think I've done it the wrong way round, DLd the first series and the pilot but aren't enjoying it as much as Series 2, though still like it.

Particularly like this sketch from S2, bar the bad kiddie acting:

"Show 'im, Jack".

Comment

Jimmy Carr: Making people laugh, on channel four. Been laughing like hell watching it.

Comment

Still on The Slap, episode 5 down, three more to go. Bah, only three.

Anyone watching it? It's come straight out of left field for me, not the sort of thing I would've probably bothered with, it's Australian and vaguely soapy sounding (definitely a losing combo for me) but as I've had time off sick from work + bedrest + plenty of codeine, I was flicking through iPlayer in a drugged haze, clicked on this, it grabbed me, I discovered how blinkered I was being, how ruddy lucky I was to have caught it, it's now ESSENTIAL viewing, it's absolutely brilliant!!!

Seriously, it's soooooo good, and it's hard to convey WHY it's so good without getting all fawny and using excessive superlatives, all I seem to do is make it seem like a super-polished Aussie soap. What I think is truly great is... this show has a better feeling of momentum than Breaking Bad does, there is absolutely no filler each episode, no waste, everything is geared to propelling the plot forward, all episodes have been truly phat so far, and it's inevitable the last three will be even phatter (given what has occurred over the last five).

It's AWESOME. And has breastfeeding.

Comment

Just finished season 1 of Homeland. Very, very good show. Can't recommend this enough, great acting, interesting plot, believable characters, it's got it all.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
              Still on The Slap, episode 5 down, three more to go. Bah, only three.

Anyone watching it? It's come straight out of left field for me, not the sort of thing I would've probably bothered with, it's Australian and vaguely soapy sounding (definitely a losing combo for me) but as I've had time off sick from work + bedrest + plenty of codeine, I was flicking through iPlayer in a drugged haze, clicked on this, it grabbed me, I discovered how blinkered I was being, how ruddy lucky I was to have caught it, it's now ESSENTIAL viewing, it's absolutely brilliant!!!

Seriously, it's soooooo good, and it's hard to convey WHY it's so good without getting all fawny and using excessive superlatives, all I seem to do is make it seem like a super-polished Aussie soap. What I think is truly great is... this show has a better feeling of momentum than Breaking Bad does, there is absolutely no filler each episode, no waste, everything is geared to propelling the plot forward, all episodes have been truly phat so far, and it's inevitable the last three will be even phatter (given what has occurred over the last five).

It's AWESOME. And has breastfeeding.
              I've got this on my foxtel IQ box ready to watch. Had pretty good reviews down here in Aussie, my wife has started watching it and says it is really, really good.

Comment

I made the total mistake of watching the first episode of American Horror Story last night. Been recording it for weeks now and finally found time to sit down and make a start on it after friends were still raving about it.

Never in 20+ years of watching TV have I seen anything so utterly dreadful on every single level. Clich?d, appalling characters, utter nonsensical writing and direction... I actually felt like I'd physically killed some brain cells from watching it.

In fact the only time I was even vaguely on edge was every fifteen minutes or so when the FX Channel insist on playing that stupid Joop Homme advert at top volume. It ruins watching The Walking Dead so the effect it had here was even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                  Just finished season 1 of Homeland. Very, very good show. Can't recommend this enough, great acting, interesting plot, believable characters, it's got it all.
                  I thought the end of the season was absolutely brilliant, such great characters and really smartly written. I hope they don't try and make a second series as this one works fine on its own.

The show has quite a slow buildup and I was often left wondering how they could stretch the idea out for a full run, but the payoff was well worth the wait!

Comment

Watched a few bits and bobs recently:

Young James Herriot - Alright. The tone was all over the place, but the leads were decent enough, and the dynamic between the characters reflected the original series. Weirdly 'heavy' stories for what it was.

King of Christmas Lights - All a bit bizarre really, a moderately interesting look at the activities of tat merchants.

Sherlock - I enjoyed this, but the missus was lost.

Endeavour - Some nice nods to the original series, and the story held my attention for the duration. Morse's superior was played well.

Lapland - A bit meh. Thinly drawn character sketch featuring some objectionable types.

Great Expectations - Very nicely put together adaptation, with some interesting character interpretations. I was glad it didn't stick slavishly to other versions - this usually results in a lack of soul.

The Borrowers - Vaguely entertaining Boxing Day distraction, but very forgettable.

Poirot - a Poirot without Japp and Hastings is a rum affair, as there's less character dynamic at work. It was ok, but the pace was a tad slow, and the red herrings too dislocated from the rest of the case; it made it all feel a bit contrived. Markedly inferior to the Christmas episode I watched a few days earlier.

You Have Been Watching David Croft - I like his stuff, so this was a nice recap. Also, Mellon Collie was playing in the background at one point.

Comment

That Angelos Epithemiou thing. Not ace but not bad, reminded me of Vic n' Bob's Big Night Out a tad but not quite as aces. Will watch a few more.

Originally posted by Finsbury Girl View Post
                      I've got this on my foxtel IQ box ready to watch. Had pretty good reviews down here in Aussie, my wife has started watching it and says it is really, really good.
                      AT LAST!!!

Yeah, SERIOUSLY, it's bloody good telly. Still missing it.

Comment

I recently watched season 6 of Dexter, it's incredible just how far this show has fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheed View Post
                          I recently watched season 6 of Dexter, it's incredible just how far this show has fallen.
                          Awful wasn't it. Just looking back at how good season four was compaired this rubbish!

Playing with 4OD last night on the xbox and found all the Brass Eye episodes. Still holds up, in fact it's probably better now than it was back in '97!

Comment

i like watching time team but the new series there is just something about it that does not feel right

Comment

Originally posted by Coheed View Post
                              I only started watching Dexter last week and am now halfway through season 2, have to say it's damn good stuff and it's a shame to hear that it goes downhill later on Tends to happen with a lot of TV shows where they have a strong start then gradually lose the plot.

Comment

Just rewathed thrones on bluray, its better second time round, and i have to say...its the new reference for bluray quality imo.

Amazing stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X