Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you dabbled with the TV show The Wire QC or Superman falls?

Comment

I have season 1 and 2 to watch on DVD, but haven't gotten around to watching it.

There's a zillion shows/games/books/films that are demanding my time but never enough time!

I prefer to be able to watch things with my wife if possible and neither Breaking Bad or The Wire are likely to be her bag.
      We've been working our way through Spooks and have the final tenth series to watch.

To be clear, I don't hate Breaking Bad, it's just not gripping me as much as people make out. I can take it or leave it.

Comment

It gets better every series but as I said earlier don't watch it because the cool society says so, only if you like it.
        As for the wife, try orange is the new black (Netflix) or the killing? Both really good, my wife loved them, as did I.

Oh yeah the wire is great too

Comment

Currently:
          Luther (season 1) - 7/10. Idris is really outshining the rest of the cast. Some truly horrendous casting/acting by other lesser characters.
          House of Card [US] (season 1) 7/10. Hasn't really got going yet but it's off to an intriguing and amusing start.
          Homeland (season 3) 9/10. If they don't screw this up, it'll be my next The Wire. Way less complex but still keeps you guessing. The female lead gives a consistently excellent and believable performance, as does the chap playing her big bearded colleague.

Comment

I don't mind Pulp Fiction, more because it's bat **** crazy than anything else, Scarface does bore me I have to admit. I'm pretty much the same as QC as Gangster related film and TV bores me too and I've mostly learnt to just steer away from it. Certainly not a reflection of them, just a personal taste thing. There's only rarely the odd exception. I can't think of any Gangster/Mafia related films that I care for, I can't describe how achingly dull I find the Godfather trilogy. I'd never argue it isn't good at what it is though, I just don't get any entertainment out of it.

It's the same with pretty much all drug related tales, I felt meh to Trainspotting. Same carries over to any kind of show, as soon as any character starts on a drug related or themed tale I lose interest. Doesn't even have to be specifically drug related, just similar. Willow getting hooked on magic in Buffy? Season of crapness. Homer or Peter going on a trip in Simpsons and Family Guy? Snorefest. It just immediately disengages my interest. So full on related films and shows don't stand much of a chance. I'm the same with sport though bar the Rocky series and also stuff set around Prison life bar enjoying the seasons I saw years back of Oz.

With so much else to watch Breaking Bad never got a look in, hearing people talk about it feverishly as the hype built didn't sell it either. I only ever watched a couple of episodes of the Wire but they weren't from the start and it seemed like you needed to be in from there rather than hop in mid-flow. Seemed fairly shoddily made and in some places badly acted but I've heard it's very much character led with the various twists and betrayals etc so my main memory remains the popular 'f***' clip which is funny but makes the show look appaling.

Comment

I watched the whole first season of The Wire and it did nothing for me, so I get what you guys are going through with Breaking Bad.

Comment

Afraid to say I'm not a big fan either. I like Bryan Cranston as an actor, but the first four episodes left me cold and I didn't have the motivation to press on. Although, I have to confess that I watched them a short while after splitting from my ex, so my concentration levels were low. Hardly ideal.

Comment

I did a Breaking Bad marathon over the Christmas hols on Netflix, from S1Ep1 to S5Ep16 - it was an epic journey and one that evolved massively - the changes from the first to the last are gargantuan - it's not about chemistry, it's about how much the characters change as things progress. However, I've struggled to do the same with The Wire also, so maybe there are parallels there.

A new series I've been watching is Helix, which is kind of trying to find its feet at the moment. For SciFi folk (and I don't remember it being mentioned) it's worth taking a look at the Canadian series Continuum which is on Netflix - it's scarily paralleling how powerful corporations are becoming as law makers over governments in the near distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                    it's scarily paralleling how powerful corporations are becoming as law makers over governments in the near distant future.
                    In the near future?

Thanks for the heads up though, I might give it 2 episodes.
                    Last edited by 'Press Start'; 29-01-2014, 19:17.

Comment

It's a little bit more subtle than that - you don't really know if you're supporting the good or the bad, the lines are very blurred as to whether there are terrorists doing bad or freedom fighters doing good. As with many series it takes a few episodes to find its direction but the season two finale definitely keeps you wanting for answers.

Comment

it's scarily paralleling how powerful corporations are becoming as law makers over governments in the near distant future.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954347/the season two finale definitely keeps you wanting for answers.
                        That sounds ripe for a cancelling!

Comment

It got a season 3 renewal

Comment

Watched the first two episodes of Continuum and it passed the 2 episode test. Just about though, hopefully it will keep getting better and more interesting.

The Walking Dead season 3 is on US Netflix too. That is next!

Comment

Is anyone watching True Detective with Woody Harrelson in? watched the first episode and it hasn't exactly sucked me in.

Comment

I watch pretty much everything for a few episodes at least. I have just spent the last month watching all of Justified to current. I initially watched the first episode 5 years ago and it never grabbed me but continually heard rumblings of how great it is. And it is. Characters drop in and out beautifully. Each season has a different over arching story whilst never losing the flow of the overall series arc.

Another show I have enjoyed lately is Longmire. Its not taxing to watch but very enjoyable.

Arrow has just got better week on week. Whilst Revolution has never really grabbed me and is on the bubble as to whether I drop it.

Suits is also very cleverly scripted and a good watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X