No announcement yet.

Blu-Ray Best Of The Best - for discussing releases only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although certainly not his best film in my mind, especially when mentioned in the same sentence as Dr. Zhivago & Lawrence of Arabia but I think David Lean on Blu-ray can only be a good thing!

Originally posted by High-Def Digest
    Sony has announced to retailers that it is planning a April 15 Blu-ray bow for the David Lean classic 'A Passage to India.'

The last film directed by the legendary filmmaker, 'A Passage to India' is the first of Lean's many epics (which include such classics as 'Dr. Zhivago' and 'Lawrence of Arabia') to hit high-def. Sony has set a street date of April 15 for the Blu-ray.

There were no specs or supplemental details available at press time, but we'll keep you posted.

Sony has set a suggested $28.95 list price for the Blu-ray.
    You'll find preliminary disc details for 'A Passage to India' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under April 15.
    I know that The Bridge on the River Kwai is scheduled for Fathers Day in the US this year and Lawrence of Arabia is shown at the beginning of pretty much every single bloody Sony BD under their Coming Soon banner so it is looking like we have a few on the way this year.

Has anybody got hold of 20 Million Miles To Earth (50th Anniversary Edition) here yet? Mine is on the way over from Amazon but I'm wondering how people feel about the restoration of that film?

And yes...yes I do have to add a Wub smiley every time that I mention Lawrence of Arabia appearing on BD on this forum!!!

Comment

Never heard of that DvdLimited place before but ive ordered Jesse James and 3:10 off them, shall see how the orders turn out.

Comment

Update. Apparently my order is "Despatched/Part Despatched"

They haven't e-mailed me or anything to confirm if both have been sent or if just 1 of them have been sent. They also only show very limited info on the site. Oh well guess i'll see tomorrow when i get back from work, still they have been quick to process the order. Much better then Play at least.

Comment

I ordered Cars from Movietyme for £12 and T2/Stargate for a tenner each (know those two are not great but thems dvd prices) bargins.
          Plus SG and T2 are Uk same day discs so they were posted today for tomorrow !!

Comment

Going back to Yuma...I noticed tonight that it's a 24 bit PCM soundtrack (6.1mbps as opposed to 4.8mbps for 16bit). Some studios are still putting out 5.1 DD+ and Lionsgate are releasing 24bit, 7.1 PCM soundtracks for their biggest releases

Comment

Shoot Em' Up Uk EIV says 7.1 DTS MA on the back but the PS3 flags it as 5.1 DTS. Also the picture bitrate is a little lower than the US New Line Disc

Comment

Originally posted by John Parry View Post
                I'm sure they read these forums lol...Fox Preps 'Predator' Blu-ray
                Hopefully Fox's upcoming announcement will give more details about the source of this edition!

Cable 1080i

BRD 1080p Mpeg II

Hummmm looks like a newer transfer but then again it may just be re-timed by the look of it.
                Oh and for the kids they made it out of low bit rate MPEG II lego

Comment

The rock is worth a look, it looks amazing at times i reckon its the best bluray disc i have seen tbh.

Comment

Well thats me not buying Predator then.

I refuse to pay the premium for a blu-ray when the source material will look no better than the DVD version upscaled.

Its just another excuse for them to make money buy sticking an HD badge on it.

Comment

I am Legend is coming. It also includes the alternate ending like i guessed. Definete one to pick up!

Comment

Having watched a lot of blu-rays over the past few days (am off work sick) I've stumbled upon a problem: on nearly every disc with very dark scenes, I get the occasional black screen...as if the contrast suddenly drops. Has anyone else has this - I'm using a US PS3 on a 32" Panasonic Viera, at 720p, through HDMI.

Any help appreciated - beginning to worry I have a problem with my newish TV!

Comment

Sounds like your HDMI cable isn't suitable for 1080p/60 (the most bandwidth heavy of the formats). Buy a slightly better (but not extortionate) one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                            Sounds like your HDMI cable isn't suitable for 1080p/60 (the most bandwidth heavy of the formats). Buy a slightly better (but not extortionate) one.
                            Hmmm...even though I'm only using 720p? I've actually got two HDMI leads, so I've switched them over (can't think why I hadn't thought of trying that!) - mind you, I think both were around the ?15 mark!

Will let you know - thanks for the advice!

Comment

At 720p, that seems a lot less likely. Does the screen blank out completely, like you've pulled the cable out? Or does the Brightness quickly decrease (but with a visible picture still in the background)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
                                Or does the Brightness quickly decrease (but with a visible picture still in the background)?
                                Exactly that - almost as if someone walks across the screen (in-shot, I mean), blocking off the light for a split-second. You know how bright and fuzzy the picture goes if you turn the contrast right up? It's like that.

It only happens in dark areas - for example, I watched From Hell (a pretty dark film most of the time) at the weekend, and it must have happened five or six times. Yet it doesn't happen on every dark scene...

EDIT - And it's not just the PS3; it also does it on the HD-DVD player I have as well, implying it's a cable/tv issue.
                                Last edited by TonyDA; 04-02-2008, 20:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X