Godzilla, kaiju and tokusatsu movies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    Not strictly kaiju, but it belongs here, I reckon.

Ray Harryhausen was one of the classic Hollywood filmmakers, a pioneering figure whose work made it seem as if actors were fighting with skeletons or

"Ray Harryhausen was one of the classic Hollywood filmmakers, a pioneering figure whose work made it seem as if actors were fighting with skeletons or being devoured by giant dinosaurs.

And now, the National Galleries of Scotland and Mr Harryhausen’s daughter, Vanessa, have revealed glimpses of several recently-restored models created by the legendary filmmaker who transformed the face of modern cinema.

They have also unveiled new dates for the biggest-ever exhibition of the innovative American’s work which will go on show in Edinburgh later this year.

The stop-motion auteur assembled a remarkable archive after designing and building a diverse range of iconic models for such films as Jason and the Argonauts in 1963 and from his Sinbad series of the 1950s and 70s, the Minaton from Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger in 1977 and Medusa from Clash of the Titans in 1981.

These ground-breaking pieces of cinematic history will go on display from October 24 at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art in Ray Harryhausen: Titan of Cinema, the widest-ranging exhibition of Harryhausen’s work ever seen."
    Finally got to this the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of history about the man himself and of course lots of the stars of those classic films. The design documents and models with the exposed armatures were the highlight for me. Seeing the thought process and construction of these "actors" is fascinating. Made appreciate how Harryhausen was more than an animator but involved in the design, construction, photography and storyboards. He was arguably an actor too putting a lot of himself into his creations.

I'd like to read more about the undeveloped projects like War of the Worlds too.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
      Finally got to this the other day. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Lots of history about the man himself and of course lots of the stars of those classic films. The design documents and models with the exposed armatures were the highlight for me. Seeing the thought process and construction of these "actors" is fascinating. Made appreciate how Harryhausen was more than an animator but involved in the design, construction, photography and storyboards. He was arguably an actor too putting a lot of himself into his creations.

I'd like to read more about the undeveloped projects like War of the Worlds too.
      Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to see his work being recognised now that CGI is commonplace.

Comment

Looks like the whole Gamera series is streaming on Prime!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=B096WQW...levanceblender
        I should add that the Arrow sets are part of the Zavvi current BOGOF sale.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to see his work being recognised now that CGI is commonplace.
          Ironically there's a part of the exhibition where you can stand on a green screen and interact with a CGI Titan for a photo opportunity. Maybe not in the spirit of things.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I thought that was going to be some eco stuff at first with the stack emissions powering the flower killing kaiju. But thankfully the big G showed up and all was well.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      I thought that was going to be some eco stuff at first with the stack emissions powering the flower killing kaiju. But thankfully the big G showed up and all was well.
                      Ha, Godzilla is so bloody woke.

Comment

Comment

I'm patiently waiting for a release date for Shin Ultraman over here. Hopefully the usual indie cinemas will pick it up.

Comment

Godzilla Vs. Evangelion Pachinko:

Comment

That’s all kinds of mental. King Giddorah has an AT Field?! Unit 01 gets it from Gojira and seems to be going berserk then turns into a Eva-Kaiju hybrid. That’s some serious budget advert for a Pachinko set.

Comment

YouTube then lead me to this video which I started watching (rather than going to bed, like a sane person) and I'm going to watch it all as it's really interesting:

Comment

Working...
                                X