Ponyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ponyo

I caught a glimpse of this last month when I was touring the facility that was authoring the Blu-ray Disc, but finally saw it today when it finally played in Glasgow. I loved it.

I'm not normally a fan of anime - I like classic American animation, cartoony, fluid, and I find most Japanese animation to be plodding and dull (and that counts for some of the Ghibli stuff). But I absolutely loved this. It's amazingly captivating and just plain fun to watch. There are also some really nice sections where the animation becomes much more fluid than normal, too. Live action movies just can't compete with animation when it's done like this.

I can't wait for the US BD, it's out in March.

It reminded me of My Neighbour Totoro alot, taking the missus to Manchester to see it at the weekend, be nice to see it up on the big screen. Hopefully a Ponyo Blu-ray release might encourage some of the other titles too.

Comment

Need to watch this, hopefully at the cinema.

Also looking forward to summer wars (from the director behind The Girl Who Lept Through Time). Had some film festival screenings, should get a blu ray release in the summer

Comment

Ponyo was on normal Japanese TV last Saturday. First time I'd ever saw it. Got to say I had no idea what the hell was going on mind you. Studio Ghibli movies of late seem to have lost the plot. Maybe being stoned would have helped the movie along?

Comment

Me and my girlfriend watched it, I thought it was lovey. Probably my favourite Ghibili Film

Comment

Any news on a DVD release? I've been watching the older Ghibli films with my kids for the past few Saturdays, and I think this one will be just about right for them.

Comment

For those that would like to see this at the cinema, is on at the Curzon Soho (incidentally, my fave cinema in London).

Comment

Me and my girlfriend watched this at the weekend was the japanese dvd. Cant stand dubbed anime too american for my liking so japanese audio and eng subs ftw, loved this little film though neat story and the animation top notch. Ive been educating my gf of ghibli films as of late and shes loved most of them including this one.

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
                  For those that would like to see this at the cinema, is on at the Curzon Soho (incidentally, my fave cinema in London).
                  http://www.curzoncinemas.com/films/ponyo
                  it's on general cinema release as of the 12th in the UK, I think most places are showing it

Comment

Yeah watching this on the weekend. May see Princess and the Frog too to see how it compares...

Comment

General release now? It has been on at quite a few cinemas already i think. Not gonna complain, I've not seen it. might pop in on Friday.

Comment

I think the Curzon is the only place so far noted as showing the original dub with subtitles. I have next week off work, so this is excellent timing

Comment

My wife text me today about this. She wants to see it as she loves Ghibli. I am not a huge fan of the studio though some I do love. I have seen nothing at all of it so better do some research!
                          Did love Totoro though!

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                            I think the Curzon is the only place so far noted as showing the original dub with subtitles. I have next week off work, so this is excellent timing
                            I didn't want to know that. Now I have to go into London to see it as originally planning to just see the cheap cineworld English dubbed version.

Comment

It got a nice review on Film 2010 the other night. Wossy even said he'd now watched it 3 or 4 times!

Comment

Working...
                              X